Need some advice regarding our Dog

/ Need some advice regarding our Dog #43  
To the OP, given the time, money and possible outlook for your dog, end of the day I'm certain both you and your wife will know what is in the dogs best interest.

We just had to take that last dreaded trip to the vet with one of my FIL's dogs. They adopted her and her sister from us about 12 years ago from a litter from a rescue we took in. FIL died last year, MIL with her allergies and COPD couldn't handle two dogs by herself (side note, same two dogs I drove down from Vermont for my inlaws when they were moving to NC and when I met Roy from this website). Sorry for the rambling, but she and her sister are like our own dogs, and it was hard for my wife due to her dad.

Since living here 18 years now, we've had to take at least 9 "last trip to vet" visits. Each trip NEVER gets easier.

Every dog of ours was different with it's age and issues, but at the end of the day, both my wife and I knew when it was time. Way I see it, if you really love your dog, you don't want them to suffer, and you don't want to put them through a lot of crap that "may or may not work" given the odds by the vet. Out of those 9 trips, I will say that none of our dogs went through a long drawn out medical procedures to prolong it's life just because we don't want to lose it.

Generally every dog making that last trip gets a steak meal and a "one on walk" outside down to the creek to enjoy the day if it's able to. Only suggestion is to be there for your animal when it's time, holding it and giving them words of praise for making such an impact in your life. I don't think a dog could ask for anything more.

We're down to 5 dogs now, and wife swears no more. I personally think we'll always have a 4 legged companion.

/ Need some advice regarding our Dog #44  
Our pup just had his 17th Birthday. Some days are good, and some days... not so much. Its springtime now and you wouldn't know he was 17. He's out digging and pulling rocks and generally being a Austrailian cattle dog/ terrier. Its so good to see him being a puppy again. I give him some doggy aspirin. He's got the cancer. So we are going to make this last summer his best time ever.

/ Need some advice regarding our Dog #45  
We were on vacation in Bora Bora and there was this dog that would come and visit us each night. He was a cuddle bug and love the old lady. He would curl up in her.

Never could find it's owners. Once he got his spooning in, he would leave for the night. Then he would be back the next night. She is not a big dog person either...

Last edited:
   / Need some advice regarding our Dog #46  
I've been out here 42 years and have always had a dog. Now that I'm widowed - my dog is my closest friend. I understand the relationships that can and will develop.

That being said - I've had dogs that have died of old age and two that I had to put down. It is NEVER an easy thing. But with the passage of time - only the good times will be remembered.

Nobody will fault the OP for whatever choice is made.

/ Need some advice regarding our Dog #47  
I've been out here 42 years and have always had a dog. Now that I'm widowed - my dog is my closest friend. I understand the relationships that can and will develop.

That being said - I've had dogs that have died of old age and two that I had to put down. It is NEVER an easy thing. But with the passage of time - only the good times will be remembered.

Nobody will fault the OP for whatever choice is made.
Did you mean 92 years?

/ Need some advice regarding our Dog #48  
ArlyA - some mornings it DOES feel like 92 years. Then my first cup of coffee brings on reality. I came down from Alaska in 1980 to get the ball rolling. The whole family moved down in 1982 - the year we built the house here.

Our first dog was a black lab. Toklat Charlies Inkspot( Tok). Bought him as a pup in 1980. Had a friend keep him until we were actually here on the property. Then onto Alaska Airlines for the trip down to Spokane. Met the plane - no dog. OOPS - wrong flight. Our pup was put on the wrong plane and was now enjoying the good life - in Hawaii. His "trip" down from Alaska took four days.

/ Need some advice regarding our Dog #49  
The reason dogs get cancer is because they eat kibble that is complete crap. If you want whats best for your dog you should have them on as much of a 100% raw diet as possible. Raw eggs, raw meat, raw milk, etc.

Never feed kibble ever again if your dog is that important.

I pick up road kill deer to feed to my Pyrenees raw doesn't matter if it smells or looks bad to you let the dog be the judge.

/ Need some advice regarding our Dog #50  
'You can get a book if your interested called, "The Complete Herbal Handbook For The Dog And Cat" By Juliette De Bairaeli Levy.