Need to be concerned about this rust?

/ Need to be concerned about this rust? #1  

AlbertC

Silver Member
Tractor
New holland 3930
95D4B39B-EBB7-4292-BA8A-D4364CEDF24A.jpeg

I have a New Holland 3930 and you can see the rust on the side of the engine. I can’t really tell what is causing the rust or why it is in this location. Is this anything I need to be concerned about or is it really not that big of a deal.

thanks

/ Need to be concerned about this rust? #3  
I wouldn't be as its CAUSE. It is from water leaking from somewhere, now or in the past. I see a hose just above the area. I'd check it carefully for possible leaks.

/ Need to be concerned about this rust? #4  
Not sure about that model but some of the older Fords had the battery above that area. Any chance that is from battery acid leaking ?

/ Need to be concerned about this rust? #6  
We need some more information. It is sometimes hard to find the source of a leak. One trick is to clean that whole area up real good, and then tape or tie some clean white rags in areas you suspect. Check them in a week or month & see if you can find the source.
rScotty

/ Need to be concerned about this rust? #7  
It depends upon how much it bothers you that there is a leak. It would weigh on my mind a lot; but for others a small leak is not a priority.

Functionally, no u need not be concerned. Cosmetically, and system wise you have a low priority issue that can exist for years without significant consequence.

If I had the time I would fix it. If you have other pressing matters to attend to don’t worry about this one.

/ Need to be concerned about this rust? #8  
I consider rust like that as not a real issue on engine block as it not significant to do real damage, BUT more of a concern is why is it there and what is the sources of the "leak" that is causing the rust, its a indication a failure is just a short time away for what ever is leaking... Would guess it's freeze plug or some sort of water hose fitting... What ever it is needs investigating...

/ Need to be concerned about this rust? #9  
Something above it is causing it. Coolant or battery? As bad as that is, it should be easy to follow the trail for evidence.

/ Need to be concerned about this rust? #10  
As hoses age, they sometimes get longitudinal splits along the inside surface of the hose right at the connection end - where it connects to a metal piece. Tighting a hose clamp does't help much with that kind of leak. Replacing the whole hose is the only solution.