Need to bleed fuel line?

/ Need to bleed fuel line?
Pulled the injector pump (a job and a half!!) and will take it to a local injector shop to check it out tomorrow.

I was doing some work in the woods and the engine just died. I restarted it, but it died again within less than a minute. After that, it refused to start. The fuel gauge claimed there was more than 1/2 tank, but I could see the plastic bottom of the inside when I looked down into the tank (this isn't really the absolute bottom since the tank is kind of upside-down L-shaped). Nevertheless, I put in 20l of fuel and bled the lines, but it still wouldn't start. I bought it new in 2006.
This sounds a lot like the problem your thread covers.
Thanks,
Bob

/ Need to bleed fuel line? #13  
Bob, I didn't mean to imply that IP R&R was trivial, only that it is a feasible DIY job. If your problem is just broken gears in the IP, the bad gears can just be replaced without re-calibrating the IP if you (or your shop) is careful to replace all the parts in their original location (no swaps between cylinders). FYI, a new IP from Kioti costs about $1500; a rebuild with re-calibration is about $400, and a simple gear replacement should cost under $200.

When you removed the IP, did you notice if the rack moved freely or was it jammed or sticky? If you disassemble the IP, broken gears would be easily visible if that's the problem. It is possible there is nothing wrong with your IP but the screwdriver trick sounds like a stuck rack. Your symptoms are not typical but I think similar cases have been reported here. In most cases the engine shuts down normally and will not restart. But a chipped gear tooth can move around causing varying symptoms.

I'm waiting for word from the injector shop. I passed on word of the Zexel replacement gears to them, thanks.
Bob