Need to break up limestone screenings in arena

/ Need to break up limestone screenings in arena #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
We put limestone screenings in our horse arena years ago and in spite of going over it with a landscape rake fairly regularly, it's gradually packed so hard it's almost like concrete. I can break it into large pieces with a lot of effort with my bucket, but it's slow going and then I have huge pieces that are hard to break up. I'm trying to think of an easier way to break this up, I was thinking of a spiked tooth aerator like they use for lawns, but don't think it will be heavy enough. Anyone got any suggestions?

/ Need to break up limestone screenings in arena #2  
I think you need a more aggressive harrow. This is what I use. It has a number of different components that you can raise or lower, depending on how aggressive you need it. It's supposed to be able to tear up a gravel driveway. I've never tried it, but I believe it.

/ Need to break up limestone screenings in arena #3  
A photo would help but I'm thinking a rake or cultivator with a rolling basket on the back will help break up chunks.

/ Need to break up limestone screenings in arena #4  
Unfortunately that is what limestone screenings do. They make a great rock solid base for roads, and arenas. Water just makes it more cement like. But at the end of the day, you have cement.

Two thoughts; one treat what you have as a base and add in 3/8" pea gravel on top. (Quick, but will cost). Or use a box blade with rippers/scarifiers to break it up, then rototill the top to pulverize it, and then harrow the top layer to flatness, and perhaps repeat the rototilling/harrowing to get down to a size that works for you. (More work, but uses the existing material.)

Before and after photos always welcome.

Good luck!

Peter

/ Need to break up limestone screenings in arena #5  
As stated earlier a tiller would be my first tool to pulverize the soil like it seams what the horse people want in their arenas. Go slowly and let the tiller do the work. The tiller should blend the limestone with the soil and prevent the compaction issue in the future.

Look at FB or CL for a used tiller. I have been able to rent a tiller from Sunbelt Rentals but I am in Fl. Or you could hire it out.

/ Need to break up limestone screenings in arena #6  
There is an implement - installed on the 3-point - made for just what you are talking about.

Arena spin harrow rake or, just, arena rake. Google - "arena rake".

/ Need to break up limestone screenings in arena #8  
For several years I maintained a little league park that used moondust (granulated limestone) as a base. I agree, it gets rock hard. My machine is only 1500 pound and could not press a spike through it. I had to start at an edge and pull it up.

I would suggest a ripping tooth or middle buster on your 3pt and start at an edge. Then pull it through deep enough to go under it and it'll most likely crack and start breaking up. Then it's a matter of making a grid back and forth and then across.

Hope that helps.

/ Need to break up limestone screenings in arena
Thanks for all the suggestions, I guess the bottom line is I need a bigger hammer. My neighbor has a pretty aggressive spike tooth harrow, I'm going to borrow that and see how it goes. It's easy to pile a lot of weight on the top of it the way he made it, so I should be able to get pretty aggressive. We can only add about 1" of new material without having problems with the grade at doors and other places, so I need to break up what I have or I'll be adding too thin a layer of soft stuff.

/ Need to break up limestone screenings in arena #10  
You might want to check with a soil scientist, but adding gypsum might counteract the limestone.