Need to wage war on mice / rats

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #51  
Raptors would have it better here if dozens of red wings around my cattail farm/pond would just leave 'em alone. The black-birds also don't like crows or turkeys but don't bother the herons (blue, green) kingfishers, or the occasional osprey.

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #52  
That is a very interesting trap. Very overpriced at $30 for some plastic pieces but I ordered one anyway. If it works well, it's worth it ...
Overpriced for sure. But peanut butter isn't cheap and my dogs were going through crunchy like it was going out of style.

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #53  
I setup a bucket trap last week in an old, holey out-building but haven't caught a mouse yet. July doesn't have an "r" so maybe it isn't mouse trapping season yet.

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #54  
I haven’t seen anyone talk about peppermint oil - pure, not artificial.
Rodents were making nest in the battery compartments of my tractors, etc. I dipped a shoelace in peppermint oil and place near an opening to the battery compartment. No rodents.
I now pour peppermint oil into open containers and place around my barn. The oil irritates their noses and they go elsewhere- until I forget to refill my containers- then they come back.
Yes, I’d rather they die but this really does help. I didn’t believe it until I tried it.

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #55  
FWIW: Last year I cleaned 45 mice and 47 gophers out of my rural Michigan property with a very simple bucket method. 5 gallon bucket with 3 gallons of water. Pour black oil sunflower seeds on water surface until covered. 3" x 4' wooden ramp (pine, osb, whatever) with two screws through one end to hook over edge of bucket for holding ramp in place. Mice or gophers smell sunflower seed, climb up ramp, see seed heaven inside bucket, jump in and swim ... for a little while.

The nice thing about this method is you can catch several mice or gophers in one setting and you don't have to handle the critters. Just remove the bucket and dump it away from where you are catching and predators / birds will make short work of the rodents.

I have tried many other methods. I have a bucket with a paint roller mounted inside and ramps that go up to the roller. Peanut butter on the roller around the center and mice climb up and their own weight spins them off. I still catch more with the simple seed bucket.

This picture is from one evening, helping a neighbor out. Like I said, 47 gophers last year on my property and I've had only one this year and got him within an hour of seeing him on the lawn.
Black oil sunflower seeds? Where do you purchase this?

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #56  
   / Need to wage war on mice / rats #57  
We once had a contract to build a 200 ft stable and a 220 ft riding arena.
So I followed basic house building specs, (insulation, structure etc.) but used metal for ceiling and wall finish.
Now since rodents were obviously to be a potential problem I bought bulk rodent poison and alternately placed different brands/types between each stud spacing.
Owners said later that they never saw any rodent signs nor smells.
The client was breeding Arabians and had some 200 or so.

That one was a real fun project full of challenges due to size and compliance issues not counting local petty politics.
LOL, the permit was delivered by a truck driver who was also the mayor!

/ Need to wage war on mice / rats #58  
I gave up on snap traps and now use the plank style.
Intrigued by the yellow pail top version.
I agree that Peppermint oil is a fantastis deterent also. Bleach water is also a deterrent.