Tractor Sizing need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #11  
50 acres +/-, but not necessarily all at once

It's going to take some time with a 6' cutter. Assuming 80% field efficiency (i.e., allowance for overlap, turning, bathroom breaks, refueling, etc.), you can mow 1.75 acres/hour at 3mph and 2.33 acres/hour at 4 mph.

Depending on how you value your time and your budget, you might want to think about a batwing mower. Depending on the mower model, you may need 50+ HP.

Steve

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #12  
50 acres +/-, but not necessarily all at once

Wow, I don't know how fast grass grows in texas, but that sounds like days of mowing to me. If you are planning on mowing it more than once a year, you might want to look at a lil bigger rig?? The mowing efficiency calculators might give you some time to think about.....

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #13  
Wow, I don't know how fast grass grows in texas, but that sounds like days of mowing to me. If you are planning on mowing it more than once a year, you might want to look at a lil bigger rig?? The mowing efficiency calculators might give you some time to think about.....

The formula for theoretical capacity (100% efficiency) in acres/hour = speed(mph)*width (ft)/8.25. You can multiply this result by your estimate of field efficiency to obtain actual capacity.

Steve

Edit-- Some folks assume 82.5% efficiency and use the "quick and dirty" formula: acres/hour = speed(mph) * width (ft)/10.

Last edited:
   / need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #14  
Looking for my first tractor. Since I have absolutely no experience, I'd like to get y'all's opinions on what it feels like to bush hog all day with a tractor with 30-35 HP vs 40-45 HP? Big difference? or not worth the extra $$? Whatever I buy will be a land-clearing/mowing tractor primarily for land in southern oklahoma

Thanks for sharing your experience
Sounds like you are talking a tractor with loader. Pls define land clearing/mowing a little better. What size trees and debris -- or just grass and scrub brush? How much yearly time can you afford for the maintenance of the original clearing/mowing of the 50 acres?
,,,Thx,
larry

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #15  
The formula for theoretical capacity (100% efficiency) in acres/hour = speed(mph)*width (ft)/8.25. You can multiply this result by your estimate of field efficiency to obtain actual capacity.

Steve

Edit-- Some folks assume 82.5% efficiency and use the "quick and dirty" formula: acres/hour = speed(mph) * width (ft)/10.

Steve

Thanks for the "Quick and Dirty" Formula at 82.5 percent rotary cutting efficiency. Simple and quick.

Waune

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #16  
I have a NH Boomer 30 (28 hp engine, roughly 22hp PTO with a hydro tranny). I run a 5' bush hog with it. I can run it just fine as a home owner. If it bogs down, I slow down speed with the hydro. It is not enough engine for me to make a living with it though.

In my tractor frame size, the boomer 35 (38 engine HP) would be a much better choice. If you go up in engine size one level from there, you jump frame size to the Boomer 40. If you have a bigger frame, now you have a wider width and need at least a 6' cutter and higher hp requirement.

If you want to make money with your rig, you probably need to be on the higher end of recommendations, not the minimum. As a home owner, being on the minimum is probably just fine though.

For clearing land, you can do it with a 30hp. It will just take a *lot* longer than with a 50 hp. Clearing land usually needs a bulldoze or excavator rather than a tractor though. Define "clearing land".

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #17  
Hello, and welcome to tbn.
Have you considered using a contractor for the land clearance, and running a smaller (cheaper) tractor to do the maintenance work?
Another thing to consider is the gearbox(often over looked) . Would conventional gears, shuttle or hydrostatic be best for you? You had given no indication of any mechanical experience, so probably a hydro would be better as it is more forgiving, and needs less experience to operate.
It sounds like you will have a loader, so I recommend 4x4 AND make sure the loader is double action on the lift and curl rams.A 3rd service is a good idea, as you can then use a grapple as logs and branches like to jump out of the bucket if you can get them in , in the first place.
Lastly , what should have been done first, write a list of all the things you plan to use the tractor for and post that. We will be able to better help you. You will be amazed at the experience out there.

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #18  
I used to bush hog 150 ac every year with a ford jubilee, 35 hp and a 5' bush hog. It pulled it fine and only took a week or so to do. If you have the time you could easy do this with a 35 hp tractor and a 5' hog. I don't like to put as much hog on a tractor as possible so I have a little reserve hp. That way if you get into heavy stuff you have some reserve. I think that is very good for a new person to do so they hae less to worry about, makes things safer. Ed

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #19  
All day is all day no matter what tractor you are on. There is quite a range in size between the small end of 30hp, being 2000# and small tires, and the big end of 50hp pushing 7000# and lots bigger tires.

Of course you can also get vig and heavy in 35 hp, or small and lighter in 45hp.

Generally speaking, bigger tires are going to be smoother over bumps.

I have 34 hp and a 6' cutter and now about 300 acres with my bushhogging business. Under ideal conditions working long days I could do 50 acres in 2 days. Under worst case scenario, 5-6 long days.

My next tractor will be large enough to get 20" front rims for a smoother ride, and pull an 8' twin spindle ( biggest I can easily trailer and stay under wide load permit).

If I owned 50 acre that was going to be cut regularly and not just a 1 time thing, I think I would want enough hp to run a 12' or 15' cutter.

/ need your experience-bush hogging w/ low 30s HP vs 40s HP #20  
I mow commercially with a 27hp tractor and 5 foot bushog. I don't do a lot of big stuff, but do 15-20 acres with some regularity. I can do 1.5-2.25 acres per hour. About 7 hours is about all I can stand in a day. That means 15 acres is a good day. You might get a couple more acres with a 6 footer. You have to keep you weight down or you will spend a ton on larger truck and trailer. I would suggest a 35-49 hp tractor and a 6 foot cutter.