Needing a Dual Pilot Operated Check Valves for a toplink?

/ Needing a Dual Pilot Operated Check Valves for a toplink? #1  

SylvainG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti LK30
Hi, I have a brand new valve with an internal leakage specs at

INTERNAL OIL LEAKAGE
4 ÷ 8 cc/minFrom A B to T

My hydraulic toplink didn't come with a Dual Pilot Operated Check Valves and adding one would cost more than what I paid for the toplink. Not sure I understand the leakage specs above. The toplink would be used to control the tilt of my snow blower and box grader. Is the check valve a waste of money for my scenarios? Thanks.

/ Needing a Dual Pilot Operated Check Valves for a toplink? #2  
FWIW...by disconnecting the hoses from the quick disconnects there is no place for the oil to go...

/ Needing a Dual Pilot Operated Check Valves for a toplink?
True, but then, I might as as well kept my mechanical toplink if I have to get off the tractor to reconnect the QCs to operate the cylinder :(

/ Needing a Dual Pilot Operated Check Valves for a toplink? #4  
Sylvain
That leakage spec is based on a given pressure differential and oil viscosity so without knowing how long you want the top link to hold position under what pressure it is difficult to say yes you need check or no you do not need check.

/ Needing a Dual Pilot Operated Check Valves for a toplink? #5  
True, but then, I might as as well kept my mechanical toplink if I have to get off the tractor to reconnect the QCs to operate the cylinder :(
Normally...unless you are using a sophisticated laser guided leveling tool or something...the typical bleed down will be insignificant for typical applications of most 3ph implements...
...And besides...with t&t you can make minor adjustments on the fly...

/ Needing a Dual Pilot Operated Check Valves for a toplink? #6  
Surplus Center used to sell a kit to add a pilot operated check valve to a cylinder but I can't find it any more. It came with banjo fittings mounted on 3/8" tubing. You had to cut one tube to length, flare it and make/buy the fittings for the cylinder port. I guess it was too complicated for most DIYs.

You can still get a like check valve on Amazon for $44 but you have to provide the rest of the hardware. (Tubing, banjo fittings and cylinder port fittings.) The part comes from Holland (the country). I bought my 3-valve remote kit from them and it was high quality stuff. You'll get your order in 7-10 days.

/ Needing a Dual Pilot Operated Check Valves for a toplink? #7  
FWIW...by disconnecting the hoses from the quick disconnects there is no place for the oil to go...
For what it's worth there's nothing stopping a disconnected cylinder from drifting towards extension if oil can bypass the piston seal and external loads are applied in that direction.

/ Needing a Dual Pilot Operated Check Valves for a toplink?
Surplus Center used to sell a kit to add a pilot operated check valve to a cylinder but I can't find it any more. It came with banjo fittings mounted on 3/8" tubing. You had to cut one tube to length, flare it and make/buy the fittings for the cylinder port. I guess it was too complicated for most DIYs.

You can still get a like check valve on Amazon for $44 but you have to provide the rest of the hardware. (Tubing, banjo fittings and cylinder port fittings.) The part comes from Holland (the country). I bought my 3-valve remote kit from them and it was high quality stuff. You'll get your order in 7-10 days.

That seems what I was looking for. Princess Auto also sells the check valve but once you add the custom cut hoses and fittings, it costs the same as the toplink itself :(

Normally...unless you are using a sophisticated laser guided leveling tool or something...the typical bleed down will be insignificant for typical applications of most 3ph implements...
...And besides...with t&t you can make minor adjustments on the fly...

My reasoning is I just don't want the snow blower to bleed and start digging in the gravel. I'll give it a try with the box grader which in my opinion where the bleed would be the worse (most stress on the toplink).

/ Needing a Dual Pilot Operated Check Valves for a toplink? #9  
This is the valve tinhack was referring to, just be aware the tubing is metric and the banjo bolts are BSPP so might not be as easy to adapt to your cylinder. The fitting coming out of the valve block are part of the valve assembly and are for the metric compression fitting making them harder to adapt to SAE fittings.

/ Needing a Dual Pilot Operated Check Valves for a toplink? #10  
That's it! (y) And you don't even have to flare the tube--It uses compression nuts.