needle scaler

/ needle scaler #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
I was thinking about using my sand blaster to touch up some spots rust on my tractor before spot repainting. Then I heard of a needle scaler and thought it might be less messy. What are the pros and cons of these and what are the differences and various uses.
Say like sand blasting vs needle scaling on wheels where i don not want to remove the tires.
Thanks

/ needle scaler #2  
Loud! The needle scaler will be much louder than sandblasting and they take a lot of air to run them . In my experience, the needle scaler is great for very loose and flaky rust. I have a spot blaster for small places, it's built like a paint sprayer with the cup. I also find an air die grinder with scotchbrite pads work pretty good too.

/ needle scaler #3  
Actually needle scalers arent very loud unless youre working sheet metal (not advised due possiblle distortion) and you can get a small one at HF for around $30..They work well on scaly rust, but wont get down into the pits like sandblasting. They use much less air than sandblasting. Whichever method used, an after treatment with Ospho will etch the surface slightly and provide better "tooth" for paint adhesion.

A needle scaler is also valuable for relieving surface stress on new welds, cleaning cured concrete off tools, etc.​

/ needle scaler #4  
Actually needle scalers arent very loud unless youre working sheet metal (not advised due possiblle distortion) and you can get a small one at HF for around $30..They work well on scaly rust, but wont get down into the pits like sandblasting. They use much less air than sandblasting. Whichever method used, an after treatment with Ospho will etch the surface slightly and provide better "tooth" for paint adhesion.

Plus two on the possible distortion. . Wire brush on an angle grinder will work also but sand blast is the best IMO.

/ needle scaler
Thanks for the info. guess i will just stick with sandblaster. thought needle scaler might be easier to grab quickly in some applications and less messy.

/ needle scaler #6  
Thanks for the info. guess i will just stick with sandblaster. thought needle scaler might be easier to grab quickly in some applications and less messy.
You had it right.

/ needle scaler #8  
A scaler is for loosening up scaled rust or paint. It is best for and removing the bulk of the loose material. It will not deliver a paint ready surface, if you are trying to do a good looking repair. If it's a farm implement, and you really don't care that much, it may be fine.

Distortion on thin metal is possible with either a sand blaster, or a scaler. You have to use them both properly.

I use a scaler on body panels all the time. If you use it at 45 degree or more angle to the surface, the hammering motion delivers a glancing blow, rather than directly into the metal. It will not damage the metal, if you do it right.

The reason I like to take the scaler to the rust on body panels is, if there are pin holes it can be impossible see them for certain. If you repair the rust, without catching a pin hole, it will bubble out in a short time. The scaler will make the hole big enough, that there is no question they are there, so you can be sure to fix it.

You can follow the scaler up with a 7470 3M Roloc clean and strip disc, (or similar product), on a die grinder, or angle grinder. Or, if you don't want it perfect, or find that too expensive, you can use a wire wheel on an angle grinder. Either can remove the rust, without sand blasting.

/ needle scaler #9  
Wire brush on the angle grinder is my choice.

/ needle scaler #10  
I have both sizes and use the smaller one most of the time.
You can also buy a nose piece scaller that fits on an air chisel if you are really cheap.