Neighbors and their many running wild dogs

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
I have had it with my neighbor's dogs. He has about 10 that just roam the area.
I have talked to him about his dogs coming to my pace to do their business.
Now, I have caught them at my chicken pen trying to get into the pen. About 5 of them digging and running my chickens from one side of the pen to the other side.

Talked to him today about them running my chickens and trying to get in the pen. He said he'll do what he can, ''but we do live in the country where people's dogs run all over'' He really didn't sound like he was too concerned about it.:mad:

I can't have them trying to get into the pen,or running my chickens around the pen.
My fear is, I won't be home and they breach the pen and kill all my chickens

Anyone else have any issues with neighbors dogs ?
Solutions other than shooting them ?

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #2  
I have had it with my neighbor's dogs. He has about 10 that just roam the area.
I have talked to him about his dogs coming to my pace to do their business.
Now, I have caught them at my chicken pen trying to get into the pen. About 5 of them digging and running my chickens from one side of the pen to the other side.

Talked to him today about them running my chickens and trying to get in the pen. He said he'll do what he can, ''but we do live in the country where people's dogs run all over'' He really didn't sound like he was too concerned about it.:mad:

I can't have them trying to get into the pen,or running my chickens around the pen.
My fear is, I won't be home and they breach the pen and kill all my chickens

Anyone else have any issues with neighbors dogs ?
Solutions other than shooting them ?

Liquid Nitrogen frozen blood bullets? ;-)

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #3  
County Animal Control and or Sherriff - the behavior is illegal.

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #4  
I would put an electric fence around the chicken yard spaced so the dogs are bound to get into it. One bite of juice and they will be gone. Works on wild animals like cyotes also. They learn fast.

Ron

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #5  

+1.

Also in many states it's legal to dispatch a dog/dog pack that is threatening farm/livestock. Might make your neighbor problems worse but if you're in one of those states it could be worth letting him know that others may not be so kind.

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #6  
I would put an electric fence around the chicken yard spaced so the dogs are bound to get into it. One bite of juice and they will be gone. Works on wild animals like cyotes also. They learn fast.

I second this idea. I also would be pouring bacon grease on their poop so they eat it and take it home with them. Hopefully he lets them in the house?

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #7  
If you don't want to kill the dogs, get a large live trap, catch them, call animal control, send them in. Keep doing it over and over again until they are gone.

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #8  
That was my first thought also, and he may consider taking some pictures first.

I second this idea. I also would be pouring bacon grease on their poop so they eat it and take it home with them. Hopefully he lets them in the house?
That's almost evil... I like it! :thumbsup:

Ron

Has anybody ever successfully live trapped a dog? Canines don't generally like putting their heads into an enclosed area. Something like this http://www.duketraps.com/2coil/0473x600.jpg would work if you can get away with it, as the OP indicated that he doesn't want to hurt them.

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #9  
I just love it when people say since they live out in the country it's normal to let their dogs roam all over everyone elses property.

Take "care" of the dogs and the ignorant bozo (neighbor) will only get more dogs.

Take "care" of the neighbor.

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #10  
In my county, calling Animal Control will help solve the problem. They might not be able to have an instant cure but it is a start. Animal Control will take the animals if you can catch them. For livestock, they charge the owner a pretty hefty daily amount to take care of the critters. Not sure what they do for dogs. A quick call will give you some information.

In NC, shooting animals attacking live stock is legal.

My neighborhood used to have a problem with one house they would let their dogs run free. I know one neighbor was calling Animal Control on them which helped somewhat. People walking through the neighborhood would carrying big sticks and golf clubs because of these dogs. Eventually, the dogs disappeared. I don't know if Animal Control got them, if they died off old age, or is someone did the Three S's on them, Shoot, Shovel and Shutup. A couple of those dogs were very aggressive and needed to be locked up or put down that is for sure.

Living in the country does NOT allow one to just let one's dogs roam. When we were looking to buy land, we were talking to an old farmer who was at least in his 80's, if not 90's, and he told us how every year or so, the local farmers would get together and shoot all of the free roaming dogs. The dogs would get too numerous and start attacking live stock so they would control the dogs.

Later,
Dan