Neighbors Feedlot

/ Neighbors Feedlot #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I'm not one to normally complain about what someone does on their property, but I have to vent this one. I live on a 3.5 acre lot, as does my next door neighbor. Recently I've counted 10 horses and 12 cattle on his little spread, these are mainly confined to some run-out pens on about 2 acres. Needless to say, things are beginning to get a little rank. Especially the cattle pen. He just added a few more cattle 2 weeks ago and I'm not sure if this is just a temporary holding spot before he puts them on some leased land or if he's feeding them out. The fact of the matter is that it's beginning to look and smell like a feedlot with that many animals on one spot. It's also starting to affect the water quality in our other neighbors 1 acre pond, now that we've had some rain and some run-off.

I'll give him another week, to see if the additional cattle are temporary, before I say something to him. We're on good terms and it's not a problem to express my concerns to him. This past summer we suffered from flies pretty bad because of the number of cattle he had (cattle seem to attract flies more then horses). I don't want to repeat that again.

Does 22 animals on 2 acres sound excessive to anyone else?:(

/ Neighbors Feedlot #3  
I'm assuming you're in a rural area as opposed to a metro area. There might not be much you can do from that standpoint.

22 animals on 2 acres SHORT TERM isn't unheard of, but not something commonly done. That would require a certain level of knowledge to do safely, maintaining animal health.

There are accepted standards with-in most states on how a commercial feedlot can operate. NONcommercial is less restricted.

My first thought was, which one of you was there first? If he was operating, even a smaller operation, before you arrived on scene, he may have a leg to stand on.

How long has the neighbor been "in business"? (assuming he's actually a "farmer") RIGHT TO FARM laws can stop you dead in your tracks if he uses them correctly.

I'd contact your area Humane Society to get their take on what conditions are acceptable. I'd do so on an "off the record" manner.

Not being critical of anyone in particular, but why do people move to the country, then object when typical "country" activities no longer seem so attractive?

/ Neighbors Feedlot
Farmwithjunk said:
Not being critical of anyone in particular, but why do people move to the country, then object when typical "country" activities no longer seem so attractive?

I don't have a problem with "country activities" in the slightest way. But when you live in a residential neighborhood (albiet, generous lot sizes) keeping 22 animals in various pens is a little on the excessive side. Waste and odor are a problem with animals that concentrated. It will be a problem in the warmer months. (that's why I suspect and hope this is temporary regarding the number of cattle)

This is an issue that will be easily and neighborly resolved between us. (It's not an issue, as much as a concern) It's not an issue of who was there first (actually I was) or what the county allows etc. I'm just wondering what other peoples take is on this.

/ Neighbors Feedlot #5  
I know that my situation does not apply to your concern, but since you asked. My township (combination of zoned agricultural, commercial, and residential) requires five acres for one "domesticated" animal (such as: horse, cow, sheep, pig, etc.). After five acres, you need one additional acre for each additional "domesticated" animal (dogs and cats are excluded). There is also a one hundred foot setback from any adjoining property line or street right-of-way for "any building or confined feeding area (other than open pasture area for grazing)." One of the adjacent townships requires twenty acres for any number of "domesticated" animals. Some near-by townships that are predominately agricultural have no requirements. Again, I know this does not apply. My best wishes on resolving your concern!

/ Neighbors Feedlot #6  
Not unheard of. Don't veal lockers put cows into a much denser arrangement?

/ Neighbors Feedlot #7  
What is the zoning? The right to farm will matter a good deal, but maybe there are ways around that if there is a health hazard.
Talking to him as you said would be best, he may not like that situation either.

/ Neighbors Feedlot #8  
Do you have any deed restictions on the lots? I've seen parcels that allow only horses and how many horses per acre. One of my favorites was a lot that allowed horses, cows and goats, but no pigs. It's usualy written out pretty clearly, but since you asked the question, I'm gonna assume you don't have any restrictions.

If it was me, I'd be over there today. Another week is just that much longer you'll have to suffer the smell and that much longer the bugs get a chance to get established. We weather with warm days can lead to some pretty spectacular birth of flies and other bugs!!!!

How about some pictures?

Eddie

/ Neighbors Feedlot
EddieWalker said:
Do you have any deed restictions on the lots? I've seen parcels that allow only horses and how many horses per acre. One of my favorites was a lot that allowed horses, cows and goats, but no pigs.
Eddie

Yep, we have the "pig" restriction. Actually our restrictions are pretty decent.
  1. No pigs
  2. No more than 3 dogs
  3. No "manufactured" homes
  4. House facade must be brick or stone veneer

That's it for restrictions, just about right to keep things from getting out of hand IMO.

Part of the problem is that the cows are in one pen that's only about 20' x 150'. I'm just hoping that he's not planning on feeding out 10 cows until slaughter. That's really not appropriate in our little area where the neighbors get subjected to the flies and smell. I don't have a problem with someone feeding out a cow or two, but this is just a tad too many for the area.

There place is completely devoid of any grass. It's bare dirt/mud.

/ Neighbors Feedlot #10  
I agree with calling the local humane society. Based on the 'animal police' shows I've seen on TV (wife loves them), this is something they can take care of.