Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #151  
Just commented on your 'Wabbit' thread. You might like that one...

I'm trying to. I have my days as well at 73 years old.
I know almost 71, easy to let my crabbiness get the better of me some days!

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #152  
We just got back from the finger lake region of NY.. Beautiful area..But some of the areas had what can only be described as an atrocious cow chit stench. .. It would gag you. I couldn't imagine having to live next to it every day. Just driving down the road passing it was brutal.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #153  
Try a hog or chicken farm. When I was about 18 I had just lost my job as summer help at a company (Summer was over) and went to apply at a chicken farm. I needed the money and I was used to being around farms. Worked for several hog & cattle farms. Got out of the car and started walking toward the office of that chicken farm and turned right around and got back in my car LOL. It was an unearthly smell.

I knew I could get a better job than that. I scraped hog pens for a summer and my mom made me take my clothes off in the garage. Talk about stinkin

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #154  
Try a hog or chicken farm. When I was about 18 I had just lost my job as summer help at a company (Summer was over) and went to apply at a chicken farm. I needed the money and I was used to being around farms. Worked for several hog & cattle farms. Got out of the car and started walking toward the office of that chicken farm and turned right around and got back in my car LOL. It was an unearthly smell.

I knew I could get a better job than that. I scraped hog pens for a summer and my mom made me take my clothes off in the garage. Talk about stinkin
As a kid (15-16) I worked weekends for a couple years in the neighbors hog barns.
When you went in the smell almost spun your head and by the time I finished fresh air smelled funny.
Worst thing was later in the week. Say it rained or you were in gym class and your hair got sweaty or damp, you could smell a sickly sweet manure smell. Not super strong but definitely there. That's numerous showers later. Dry it was OK but keep away from moisture.
During that time I gave up my long hair and washed with green apple shampoo to try and camofloge it.
I kept working there because minimum wage was $2.50 and Martin was paying me $8.00.
3000 hogs was a lot of poop.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #155  
The worst stench I have ever smelled is the stench of a rendering plant!

When I was a young buck, I worked for a construction company that had a lot of work in the Chicago area, so we took us30 to Chicago.

There was a rendering plant in Plymouth Indiana and you could smell it 5-10 miles on both sides of Plymouth.

It was so awefull many trips I made I would drive 20-30 miles out of my way to avoid it.

The trips I took with my boss, I had to endure it, he couldn’t smell good!

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #156  
:sick::sick::sick:⬆️⬆️

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #157  

When I was a young buck, I worked for a construction company that had a lot of work in the Chicago area, so we took us30 to Chicago.

There was a rendering plant in Plymouth Indiana and you could smell it 5-10 miles on both sides of Plymouth.

It was so awefull many trips I made I would drive 20-30 miles out of my way to avoid it.

Since Covid, had it in 2020, the only thing I can smell consistently is onions cooking. My wife has to tell me when things stink. It is sometimes nice and sometimes not so nice. Like I cannot smell something getting hot, cannot smell the hog farm, gas, diesel etc. That bothers me some.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #158  
Since Covid, had it in 2020, the only thing I can smell consistently is onions cooking. My wife has to tell me when things stink. It is sometimes nice and sometimes not so nice. Like I cannot smell something getting hot, cannot smell the hog farm, gas, diesel etc. That bothers me some.
A few years ago at about this time of year I was driving down the road and saw my neighbor winching a road killed moose onto a trailer. I stopped and offered to help and as we were winching it onto his trailer I asked him if he was going to use it for coyote bait. It had been dead long enough so that the stomach was bloated. He said that he can't smell very well but thought it was pregnant. (They drop their calves in April.) I tried to convince him that it was a bad idea as the animal had been there for at least a day, but he brought it home and I have been told that he cut it up, put it in the freezer and ate it. It wasn't a case of him needing the food, he is a retired chemical engineer and is well set up with property and equipment. He just wanted the moose.

Yesterday I went past his house and there was a road killed deer across from his driveway. Today it was still there, I hope that he doesn't try to bring that home.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #159  

I just googled the rendering plant in Plymouth Indiana and it appears to be still there but the last few times I’ve driven through there I have not smelled it in quite a while. The name on it is a huge conglomerate with 260 locations across the world, but on its website, it does not list the Plymouth Indiana location although The name is still associated with it on Google

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #160  
I just googled the rendering plant in Plymouth Indiana and it appears to be still there but the last few times I’ve driven through there I have not smelled it in quite a while. The name on it is a huge conglomerate with 260 locations across the world, but on its website, it does not list the Plymouth Indiana location although The name is still associated with it on Google
They don't actually do rendering there any more but they do collect dead animals and transport them to a rendering plant in Coldwater, MI.
A 3,500 cow dairy in the area can be tough occasionally though.