Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #171  
I live in farm country and my in laws used to raise pigs and now raise cattle. I think horse manure stinks, but on a scale compared to pigs pretty minor. Cattle are worse than the horses also. Maybe I’ve just gotten used to living in farm country but sometimes I kind of like farm smells.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #172  
Moving the pile to make the suit moot is horrible advice. It is tantamount to admitting fault. Those neighbors will not stop until you move. The law may technically protect farming, but unless they punish frivolous suits, it will just continue.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #173  
The worst stench I have ever smelled is the stench of a rendering plant!

When I was a young buck, I worked for a construction company that had a lot of work in the Chicago area, so we took us30 to Chicago.

There was a rendering plant in Plymouth Indiana and you could smell it 5-10 miles on both sides of Plymouth.

It was so awefull many trips I made I would drive 20-30 miles out of my way to avoid it.

The trips I took with my boss, I had to endure it, he couldn’t smell good!

As a Kid driving by Monfort's near Greeley Co. was pretty bad.

I commented to my grandpa once about smells - he said I don't mind it, that generally is the smell of money being made son.
The aroma of Tacoma- from the pulp and paper mill can be pretty unpleasant.

I feel for the Op- we did the composting for or local music festival and mixed the food refuse with horse manure and old hay for a few years and on end of summer hot days it stunk..

Glad our neighbors didn't go after us.
They have not complained about the "regular" barn run cleanout horse manure pile ever.
Hope there is a good resolution to this. If you end up in court and you lived there before the neighbors moved in I would make the judge aware also if you are zoned agricultural.

There were days it smelled so bad I dug out a bank of dirt-(in our area mainly silt ) and covered the whole pile which did bring the aroma down quite a bit.

Last edited:
   / Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #174  
I still remember the reek of the Potlatch Paper Co, in Lewiston, ID. No idea if it's still there, but man what a stench.

Some of the slaughter houses in SD have a pretty pungent odor as well. Just terrible. Did some contracting work for a company that owned several of those.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #175  
I still remember the reek of the Potlatch Paper Co, in Lewiston, ID. No idea if it's still there, but man what a stench.

Some of the slaughter houses in SD have a pretty pungent odor as well. Just terrible. Did some contracting work for a company that owned several of those.
Its still there, and still stinks to high heaven

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #176  
Clearwater Paper now.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #177  
I have been around horse manure piles since 1984. You have to stick your nose up to a horse's butt when farting to get a stink. Hard to say how many loads of horse manure and shavings compost I have sold over the years. I move the manure pile 250 feet to the compost pile. Even fresh hot manure pile does not stink.
You have been around it enough so that you don't notice it... the same as any other scent which people become accustomed to. I don't mind the smell, but it certainly is there. To me a smoker reeks... I've had to check out of a motel room because it stunk so bad. Yet they don't notice it. When I was growing up people would come into the flower shop and comment how good it smelled in there. but I never could understand what they were talking about. One time I bent over to smell a carnation before picking it, just to see if I could smell it. An earwig crawled out... :eek: 45 years later I notice them more but still don't really notice them.

Things which reek to me; air fresheners and scented trash bags. They both make me want to gag. Also perfumes and colognes... although I can tolerate the former under certain circumstances. :p

Last edited:
   / Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #178  
The only way I would use lethal means to deter an animal is if I felt unsafe. I hope I don't have to go down that road.
I've had to dispose of an armadillo but that's about it so far.
My brother was always carrying an axe to fend them when we walked to the road to go to another farm. I ended up dispatching them.

/ Neighbors Sue for Horse Manure Pile Smell #180  
probably dont really have to raise a bunch of pigs.

one big ol nasty boar should do the job. with a feeder for him to bang on all day and night.

That was one of the sounds of my childhood. The dozen or so hogs we kept banging the lid on the feeder up, then letting it fall shut. Seems like they did this 24/7/365!