Neighbors trees destroying fence

/ Neighbors trees destroying fence #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I have a large wooded area which has a barbwire fence on the lot line

The neighbor has multiple trees on his property which fell over and wrecked the fence

I don’t like this neighbor so not inclined to be a nice guy. But I also don’t want to be an ***

In the past he has tried to get me to use my saw and skid steer to cut his wood I think he should cut his own dang wood

So the question is, should I make this guy clean up his trees and fix my fence and me do nothing or should I cut the part of the trees on my side (for firewood) and then tell him to fix the fence?

/ Neighbors trees destroying fence #2  
I would inform him about the problem and ask what he wants to do to correct the problem. At least then you know his thoughts.

/ Neighbors trees destroying fence #3  
Does the fence keep cattle in? Or is it just a "boundary" fence?
If the former it needs repair soon, the latter you've got time to deal with it.

If you really don't get along with him I'd make sure any contact was recorded. This includes if you talk to him face to face make sure you have either a tape recorder or a cell phone that you can run a voice recorder app on.

/ Neighbors trees destroying fence #4  
Some States have specific rules on how neighbors have to maintain line fences, especially if livestock is involved. You could check with your county extension agent on that.

/ Neighbors trees destroying fence #5  
If you want it done and done right,,, you know!! Just cut the tree enough to get the fence back up. Small lane to walk is all that's needed.
No need in a confrontation

/ Neighbors trees destroying fence #6  
I would likely cut the tree so the fence could be repaired. I would keep the wood on my property and likely fix the fence myself if it just barbwire. Wars have started over less, so I would take the wood as the cost of repairing the fence and put it behind me.

/ Neighbors trees destroying fence #7  
If a tree from my neighbors place falls onto my place, I just cut it up and haul it to the burn pile or my firewood pile. Trees are gonna do what trees want to do, so it's gonna happen over and over again. Might as well get it done as quickly as I can.

I've never contacted a neighbor about it. I just do it, and get it done.

/ Neighbors trees destroying fence #8  
There is a guy that owns 20 acres (vacant land) next to my property. His dead trees close to the fence line kept falling on my fence.
I took my kubota with front loader and push over any dead trees that are close to the fence line, back over on his property before they fall on my fence

/ Neighbors trees destroying fence #9  
I have a mile and a half of five strand barbed wire fence around my property( 80 acres ). I installed it in 1982 when we moved onto the property. It is there to keep the neighbors cows off my property. The "law of the land" here in WA state says he is supposed to install the fence and maintain it - "to keep his livestock on his land".

In '82 he said - "I'll get to it pretty soon". He died two years later and his son now helps maintain the fence.

It was obvious that he never intended to install the fence.

As far as maintenance - I make a complete round of the fence three times per year - spring, summer and fall. I will fall any dead tree that could make contact with the fence - on either side of the fence. I no longer use wood for fuel so the dead fallen trees will lie there and rot. I will do any needed repairs to the fence on these rounds also.

The neighbors son makes one round a year and does the exact same as I do.

/ Neighbors trees destroying fence #10  
I think in most states the responsibility depends on the condition of the tree and whether or not the original owner is negligent.

When a healthy tree blows down on another person's property it is considered and "act of god" and the portion of the tree on your property becomes your property and responsibility. Seems unfair but that is the law as I found out when my neighbor's trees fell on my fence.

If the tree is unhealthy and the property owner was notified or aware of it before it falls then they are negligent in not preventing the damage.