Neihbour’s big tree fell over on to my lawn/cottage.

/ Neihbour’s big tree fell over on to my lawn/cottage. #21  
Personally I would just do it and keep the fire wood but if you need help to do so I would ask him to help ... in a way yes its his three but he is on your property now lol ... but if you guys don't know each other you can't expect him to ''trespass'' on your property to buck it without permission.

Go see him and start with a casual conversation about the tree and how you cottage got a scared then steer the conversation towards the fire wood and if he want it and hinting that it would be nice to do get help cleaning it up.

Last edited:
   / Neihbour’s big tree fell over on to my lawn/cottage. #22  
The good news is the tree didn't destroy your roof, and the cleanup can be done at your pace. Plus, the tree is gone so it can't fall on your house during the next storm.

/ Neihbour’s big tree fell over on to my lawn/cottage. #24  
I'll be felling 5 dead pines this morning, and the terminology I am familiar with is :
Felling is cutting the tree down
Limbing is cutting the limbs off the trunk
Bucking is cutting the trunk into the desired size
Followed by splitting.

I don't do firewood, so the 5 trunks will be bucked into 8' sections and hauled off with my pallet forks and piled in the back to rot. They're bug infested and somewhat rotten (clients front yard).
You missed CHIPPING. :)

/ Neihbour’s big tree fell over on to my lawn/cottage. #26  
Gave up on that and sold the chipper a couple years ago. I prefer roasting, besides, I'm a pyro.

I’d only consider chipping if you live in a burn ban area. Chipping is drastically slower than using a grapple to pile up brush. Especially when you only have one guy loading the chipper and it’s a homeowner grade chipper. It takes a big chipper that’s far more expensive than the average diy guy can afford and a crew to drag brush to really get anything done chipping.

/ Neihbour’s big tree fell over on to my lawn/cottage. #27  
I'll be felling 5 dead pines this morning, and the terminology I am familiar with is :
Felling is cutting the tree down
Limbing is cutting the limbs off the trunk
Bucking is cutting the trunk into the desired size
Followed by splitting.

I don't do firewood, so the 5 trunks will be bucked into 8' sections and hauled off with my pallet forks and piled in the back to rot. They're bug infested and somewhat rotten (clients front yard).
Pine isn't used for firewood around here anyway.

/ Neihbour’s big tree fell over on to my lawn/cottage. #29  
Why ?? I know that damp/wet pine emit a awful stinky smoke but once dry its good.
A lot more heat out of hardwood that is readily available. Pine is considered trash wood or decorative trees around here.

/ Neihbour’s big tree fell over on to my lawn/cottage. #30  
Same here. Little heat value and lots of creosote. Around here, you cannot give it away.