never liked the ROPS now i have a reason

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #21  
This is the reason my ROPS is down, and also no seatbelt. The land is flat here, but lots of trees! You could have been killed, but I'm glad you were not!!
Simon

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #22  
We keep the ROPS down 100% of the time on our eXmark mowers because if a tree limb grabs the ROPS it'll flip you over in a split second. Extremely dangerous.
I've done this. Thankfully, the one branch that was strong enough to not break when my ROPS caught it at speed, was high enough to not completely flip me over backwards. I did pop one hell of a wheelie at 11 mph, though... still not sure how I didn't break both front casters on the landing.

The second time I caught a branch was more like DaBear's situation, the branch clobbered me on the back and pinned me forward against the control levers of the zero turn. Left one heck of a road rash across my back, shoulder, neck, and side of my face.

I've never put the ROPS up on any machine since then, ever, for any reason. They are just flat-out dangerous, if you have trees. Terrible solution to a terrible problem, IMO.

Someday, someone will invent a retractable ROPS that fires upward like an airbag, when the machine detects rollover.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason
I don't remember Orange Grove as being very hilly. Is there a need for the rops?
property is mostly gentle slope but i have hi-way frontage with a steep embankment to mow as well as a pond that i dig out when the water dries out in it, coupled with the huge PITA that folding that ROPS is i just leave it up, also i sometimes get carried away with pulling up trees with the FEL and it gets a little tipy. after this event i may re-think that.

I've done this. Thankfully, the one branch that was strong enough to not break when my ROPS caught it at speed, was high enough to not completely flip me over backwards. I did pop one hell of a wheelie at 11 mph, though... still not sure how I didn't break both front casters on the landing.

The second time I caught a branch was more like DaBear's situation, the branch clobbered me on the back and pinned me forward against the control levers of the zero turn. Left one heck of a road rash across my back, shoulder, neck, and side of my face.

I've never put the ROPS up on any machine since then, ever, for any reason. They are just flat-out dangerous, if you have trees. Terrible solution to a terrible problem, IMO.

Someday, someone will invent a retractable ROPS that fires upward like an airbag, when the machine detects rollover.
MB cars had that tech back in the 80s

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #25  
I have many little rolling hills, when carrying something heavy, rops up, set belt on.
When light and flat, rops down.

Rops has already saved me some head hits with falling branches and side swipes when the slope was muddy and I slid a bit.

With hills and rain gullies, the rops are required for me though in the woods.

It's a judgement call. I know plenty of people who have farmed on hills for their whole life without rops and still doing just fine.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #26  
shhh! still trying to talk the CFO into an AC cab.
You might also ask how much replacement glass costs, and the availability of the glass in the future.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #28  
I have many little rolling hills, when carrying something heavy, rops up, set belt on.
When light and flat, rops down.

Rops has already saved me some head hits with falling branches and side swipes when the slope was muddy and I slid a bit.

With hills and rain gullies, the rops are required for me though in the woods.

It's a judgement call. I know plenty of people who have farmed on hills for their whole life without rops and still doing just fine.
It's important also that you DON'T wear your seatbelt with rops down.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #29  
I call that operator error.
I have rops on a Ferris zero turn with a mounted TuffTop canopy ..... and then one day I "accidently" found the anchor cables on the power pole .............. that cost several hundred for a replacment.

I call that operator error.
I have rops on a Ferris zero turn with a mounted TuffTop canopy ..... and then one day I "accidently" found the anchor cables on the power pole .............. that cost several hundred for a replacment.
no doubt, error #1 was leaving the limb in the first place. #2 not cutting it off on the several incidents where i hit it but no damage. #3 forgetting about it while cruising thru dragging the box blade.
I promptly fixed all of that on this one and any other limb that i could find. I have declared war on the Ninja trees.
I always hate it when those inanimate objects jump out and grab me.