New 2021 L2501 incoming!

/ New 2021 L2501 incoming! #61  
Alright, I have made a "rookie" mistake, twice! I'm leaving the parking brake on! Luckily, not for very long but, I'm having a hard time getting used to the brake system on the right side.

I'm so used to my B2601 (brake assembly on the left side) that I'm just failing to check the brake on the L2501 before I move the tractor.

Mike
I did that so many times on my L3301 that I stopped engaging the parking brake. I never needed it anyway as long as the FEL was on the ground.

Kubota should have a light or sound to tell you its engaged when trying to move.

/ New 2021 L2501 incoming!
In all the years of using tractors, I have never, ever worn out wet brakes. And yes, I have left the brake on at times as well. They can be set so strong that it usually does not take long to realize that something is wrong especially with HST. Welcome to the club.

That's good to know.

The L2501 seems to have enough torque to move the tractor that I don't even realize it is on, until I start to do some work. On the B2601, you can tell almost immediately.

Mike

I did that so many times on my L3301 that I stopped engaging the parking brake. I never needed it anyway as long as the FEL was on the ground.

Kubota should have a light or sound to tell you its engaged when trying to move.

Good to know. I too had stopped engaging the parking brake on the L2501 because like you, you really don't need it 99% of the time. However, I just started putting back on so I can train myself to stomp the brakes before moving the tractor. If I can get the muscle memory down, it'll become automatic. For me, it just hard because the controls on the B2601 and L2501 are different. I'll get it eventually....

Absolutely! There should definitely be a light or sound...totally agree!!!

Mike

/ New 2021 L2501 incoming! #65  
It landed upright!
Actually it is on its side. It did two head over heel flips, bent the ROPS. Kubota was most interested in that. This was not me that did it. A relative going down a fairly steep hill in 2WD with a load in the bucket. Hit the brakes and tractor kept going. Had it been in 4WD, the front wheels would have stopped him. Box scrapper, rims on both rear wheels ROPS and a few other items bent beyond repair. 2 tow trucks to pull it up the hill.

^^^^
I'm assuming the operator survived? Did he have his seat belt on?

I'm always in 4WD in those situations. Scary as hell!

Mike

/ New 2021 L2501 incoming! #67  
No seat belt on. Jumped from tractor when the pooh hit the fan. Right fender hit him on the bum and expelled him further away. You are right though. When traction is limited on the rear wheels in particular and the center of gravity moves considerable forward, get in 4WD. I do not use 4WD unless I need it. When I mow, I want to be in 2WD, less damage if any to equipment like a mower when hitting objects buried in the grass. On slopes where you want all the braking you can get, be in 4WD and carry your weight low.

/ New 2021 L2501 incoming! #68  
How many applications of parking brake use are actually necessary? Mine gets put on maybe a couple times a year, mostly when stationary and running such as chipping brush.

No seat belt on. Jumped from tractor when the pooh hit the fan. Right fender hit him on the bum and expelled him further away. You are right though. When traction is limited on the rear wheels in particular and the center of gravity moves considerable forward, get in 4WD. I do not use 4WD unless I need it. When I mow, I want to be in 2WD, less damage if any to equipment like a mower when hitting objects buried in the grass. On slopes where you want all the braking you can get, be in 4WD and carry your weight low.

Thank you! I was curious about the seat belt.

I mow my flat areas in 2WD and the hills in 4WD using my B2601 with the FEL removed.

Mike

/ New 2021 L2501 incoming! #70  
Alright, weather hasn’t been cooperating but, I’ve finally had the opportunity to put a couple hours on the L2501. Here are some of my observations...

First, like some have mentioned previously in this thread, once I got the tractor off the truck, the tractor feels smaller than it did at the dealership. I’m definitely pleased with the size of the L2501 (pretty much perfect for my property) however, a L4701, Grand L or MX wouldn’t be entirely ridiculous options.

Second, wow, the loader joystick and hydraulics are far superior when compared to my B2601. The L2501 joystick and hydraulics are so much smoother and more powerful. I didn’t expect such an improvement.

Third, as I’ve read during my research, the L2501 is a “whiny” tractor. My experience is no difference. She’s a whiner!

Fourth, while I haven’t put the L2501 to hard use, it is apparent that it doesn’t have a “ton” of power for hills while running in higher gears. I transported roughly 10 bucket loads of heavy wood up my hill yesterday. It’s a tall hill. Medium gear was a no-go. My much lighter B2601 will easily negotiate this hill in medium gear. However, being fair, I haven’t taken heavy buckets up the hill in medium gear with the B2601 so, it may struggle too.

Fifth, I find the seat surprisingly comfortable. I definitely didn’t expect that. I figured the seat would be the first thing I’d need to modify. Nope. Good there.

Ultimately, I’m thinking I’m going to enjoy this tractor. It appears to be a great fit.

Mike
Thanks for your opinions Rdrcr. I consider an L2501 too, but I was always wondering if I'd like the FEL lever placement. I like my B with it beside me because I run big loaders at work and am used to the controls being close to me. (though now they are no longer joysticks, all fingertip control) But I wasn't sure if I'd like that stanchion mounted control lever. But good to hear it is smooth and well controlled.

The one comment that does concern me though is the drive power up hills. I realize the L is heavier than my B but that is something that is important to me. I carry a lot of material up hills in my yard maintaining my bush road. I've already hauled 330 metric tonne of pit run gravel up my hills with my B and it does it no problem in medium range. It even pulls my 60 inch Land Pride box blade up the hills in medium. Got the rear blade on in these pics.

Not sure if you hills are steeper than mine? Pictures don't really show it accurately.

That is a good looking tractor you got there though.

Attachments

• top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    900 KB · Views: 89
  • top3.jpg
    top3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 85
  • top4.jpg
    top4.jpg
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 81