New 3 stall shop suggestion requests

/ New 3 stall shop suggestion requests #11  
Go with raised center bay truss and you can keep sidewall heights lower and still have center bay for higher door and your lift.

1684499955033.png

/ New 3 stall shop suggestion requests #12  
Something to think about what on the floor for a finish? Concrete but how smooth, stained, epoxy floor paint? If you do want epoxy paint go with the really good stuff which would cost several thousand dollars for a building that size.

What about lighting? I went with the 4 foot long twin fluorescent fixtures and have a bunch of them. I’ve slowly switched them out to the same sized fixtures but LED.

I saw you considered heat, forced air. A cheap method is one of those units that just hang up in the corner of the ceiling. That’s what I have and it warms the place up in 10 minutes if you keep it about 45 degrees when you aren’t out there. I also run a dehumidifier this time of year and have a cheap portable AC unit. If it 95 outside and humid 80 degrees and low humidity feels good.

What about a waterline, bathroom, internet, air compressor, welder? Lots to think about.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / New 3 stall shop suggestion requests #13  
Something to think about what on the floor for a finish? Concrete but how smooth, stained, epoxy floor paint? If you do want epoxy paint go with the really good stuff which would cost several thousand dollars for a building that size.

What about lighting? I went with the 4 foot long twin fluorescent fixtures and have a bunch of them. I’ve slowly switched them out to the same sized fixtures but LED.

I saw you considered heat, forced air. A cheap method is one of those units that just hang up in the corner of the ceiling. That’s what I have and it warms the place up in 10 minutes if you keep it about 45 degrees when you aren’t out there. I also run a dehumidifier this time of year and have a cheap portable AC unit. If it 95 outside and humid 80 degrees and low humidity feels good.

What about a waterline, bathroom, internet, air compressor, welder? Lots to think about.
Your post on the furnace reminded me that I ran a line from my thermostat to the bay door and installed a limit switch on the bay door. Any time the bay door is open the limit switch cuts off the furnace. Door open no heat.
Another thing was a mechanical timer to shut off the furnace after a predetermined duration. No leaving for the day and leaving the heat on 24/7.

I had three teenage boys with cars..... :)

/ New 3 stall shop suggestion requests #14  
Lots of things could be suggested but as one poster already said, make those door 9 or 10' tall, or you will probably regret it. Mine are 10x10. And FYI 10' wide is actually tight for my F250 with the mirrors not folded in.

I went 13' tall to allow a lift and room for lights on the ceiling still. Had to make sure the garage door guys put in high-lift tracks too, or the doors would end up in the way of a (still) future lift.

/ New 3 stall shop suggestion requests #15  
Again, there are a lot things that could be mentioned & I agree on larger doors...

The other thing to consider that I didn't see mentioned, is insulating under your slab. Your putting a lot of effort in closed cell & ceiling, so I would look at slab insulation also. The tighter the envelope the less BTU's needed.

/ New 3 stall shop suggestion requests #16  
Go with raised center bay truss and you can keep sidewall heights lower and still have center bay for higher door and your lift.

View attachment 801226
Stole my post! I was just going to suggest this.
Also...I would highly recommend 10x10' doors. You may "upgrade" your equipment before the garage/shop falls down.

And maybe a wood burning stove, with a fan blowing across it. Probably a helluva lot cheaper than paying for elec. (unless you're going with a heat pump). Have you checked into a Mini-split HVAC unit?

Last edited:
   / New 3 stall shop suggestion requests #17  
I had Liftmaster openers installed on my rollup doors. Love them. My doors are 10x10. I have 2 doors on one long side of my shop and directly across from one of them is the third door. This way I can drive through the shop if I need to or pull something in from the opposite side if the front is blocked.

/ New 3 stall shop suggestion requests #18  
I have one 12' X 12" wide door on the heated side of my building, 40' deep X 60' wide. If it had been a 10' door I probably be on my third set of truck mirrors and maybe fender or two. The OH door, will it interfere when a van or truck with a cap on when that vehicle is on the lift with the OH door open? You need to layout exactly where the lift will be. As some else mentioned you need extra thick concrete/ and some rebar to support that lift. My compact JD 4320 with R4 tires and cab is 8"2" tall. Just a couple of things to think about

/ New 3 stall shop suggestion requests #19  
Off peak in floor electric boiler heat with insulated slab. Ceiling mounted propane forced air for makeup heat...or good seer mini split will give you heat in winter and ac in summer. Keeping shop at 45-50 degrees 6" spray foam may be excessive?

/ New 3 stall shop suggestion requests
Thanks again Gentlemen.
Sigh, I wonder how many times I have edited my plans so far.
Great suggestion on the 10' tall door. I will put one in the middle. 10' width I think I'll stick with.
Anyone have scissor rafters? Concerned on the amount of insulation I can get in there. And then, . . NO ventilation at all? Old school mindset of mine thinks that there needs an attic and vents.
Dirt work has started.
Can't determine if it's anxiety or excitement. :unsure: