NEW 3015 oil leak

/ NEW 3015 oil leak #11  
The fill port and dipstick for the transmission/hydraulic oil on the 15 series is located under the right rockshaft arm/lift arm. Then on top of the rock shaft, somewhere behind the remotes, there is the vent for the transmission and it's shape like a question mark "?".

Like on this picture. Orange is the fill port and the yellow is the dipstick. I don't find it that hard to access, however it does need a funnel when filling it.

I'm not sure what you're look on the bellhousing?

IMG_20201125_182616.jpg

/ NEW 3015 oil leak
Yes, I know. Except that in my case, the ? yellow handle is in what in your pic is orange (red?) filler hole plug. And, due to its shape, when you try to turn it, fingers hit ridge on transmission case. Plus, ? rubber is very soft and bends, not allowing to have good purchase on it. Unless they messed it up and installed breather plug into the filler hole. I'll check if there's uncovered breather hole somewhere.

/ NEW 3015 oil leak #13  
Is it like mine?

35A8CAD0-40BB-4B32-8881-EE08A6C15E73.jpeg

/ NEW 3015 oil leak
Yep. Rubbery handle does not help a bit and there's no space to get fingers between the plug and that meatl edge right next to it.

But, that's not my question

WHAT IS THE PROPER WAY TO CHECK TF LEVEL?

/ NEW 3015 oil leak #15  
That rubbery handle is not a handle and is pliable by design. It is the breather tube for your transmission. You should look at it often to make sure it is not clogged.

The loader does not have to be installed but if it is, lower it to the ground. Make sure you are on level ground and lower the 3pt. Unscrew dip stick, wipe with clean towel, then replace dipstick. Unscrew dip stick again and read the level.

Sometimes it is tough to see the oil because it is clear. You can add some dye to it to help if you need. John Deere dealers usually sell a dye that works well.

The dye will help you locate the leak as well. Clean everything good, run tractor to warm everything up and look for leak. Check for leak often because if you wait too long it can be tough to locate from all the dye, especially if it is a bad leak.

I think everyone has given you good advice but with it being new, going back to the dealer to find the leak is not a bad option at all. After all, that is what your warranty is for.

Hopefully this helps and good luck. (y)

Last edited:
   / NEW 3015 oil leak #17  
And when its on level ground the dipstick shows (no oil) on it?
If it shows no oil, then add a quart at a time to put a mark on it...

While you're at it, check the front axle for gear oil too.

/ NEW 3015 oil leak #18  
If the dipstick/sight glass doesn't show oil try raising the front end a little, or parking on a very slight uphill.

The transmission is long and narrow and you're measuring at the very back of it, so the measurement will be greatly affected by how level the tractor is.

/ NEW 3015 oil leak
That rubbery handle is not a handle and is pliable by design. It is the breather tube for your transmission. You should look at it often to make sure it is not clogged.

The loader does not have to be installed but if it is, lower it to the ground. Make sure you are on level ground and lower the 3pt. Unscrew dip stick, wipe with clean towel, then replace dipstick. Unscrew dip stick again and read the level.

Sometimes it is tough to see the oil because it is clear. You can add some dye to it to help if you need. John Deere dealers usually sell a dye that works well.

The dye will help you locate the leak as well. Clean everything good, run tractor to warm everything up and look for leak. Check for leak often because if you wait too long it can be tough to locate from all the dye, especially if it is a bad leak.

I think everyone has given you good advice but with it being new, going back to the dealer to find the leak is not a bad option at all. After all, that is what your warranty is for.

Hopefully this helps and good luck. (y)
Excellent, thank you. Well, if loader has no major bearing on TF level, then I surely do not have enough of it. DS was bone dry. And I checked loader yesterday, sitting outside. All hydraulic cylinders have pistons fully recessed. I do not believe there is much TF left in them, considering 37L transmission case capacity, what is almost 9 gallons. Almost.
OK, I'll duly remount loader tomorrow, just for the sake of fair experiment and recheck.
Going dealer is not a problem, though half Saturday wasted. Problem is, I do not have trailer. THAT is the problem. Guy I bought tractor from basically gave me finger. I found more friendly dealer but even that is 52 min away drive at FWY speeds. So, going dealer is a bit complicated.
I'll follow tomorrow after ALL fluids check.
Needs to be mentioned, they had backhoe originally mounted on my tractor, that I declined. There is a plausible chance they spilled some fluids when they dismounted it and it finds its way down the T-case.. I just need to give it thorough wash with some detergent and recheck in few days. I'll get UV dye, it is always good idea.

/ NEW 3015 oil leak #20  
You can always get a new trailer. It will usually come with a load of new friends too... 😅