New 4x20-series First Impressions

/ New 4x20-series First Impressions #1  

EquipmentJunkie

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4052R
Yesterday, I had a chance to take a look at the new 4x20-series tractors for the first time. In short, I was impressed.

Let me share a few impressions:

Simplification of controls - Deere appears to have banished the confusing, side-mounted eMatch OS (Electronic Operating System) from the previous 4x10-series. The new series is much more logical and easy-to-understand for the first-time operator. I felt like I had to go through an instructional course for the older 4x10-series.

New Hood - Good-looking and practical. Deere says in their brochure "No dime store hood." The hood itself, yes...but the text writer must not have lifted it and tried to prop it up. I was expecting a nice, gas-charged cylinder like on the New Holland Boomers. Nope, just a cheesy prop rod on the one side. The prop rod is bad because when the rod installed in its socket, the flexibility of the plastic hood allows a corner of the hood rest on the underhood muffler. I can see it now...just finish your two-hour mowing chores and lift the hood to clean the dirt from the radiator. Lift the hood into place and promptly produce a cloud of plastic smoke as the hood contacts the hot muffler. Not smart...more like a "dime store" design.

Well-Organized Underhood - Underneath the hood, everything is well-placed and organized. Nice, clean design that exceeds the efforts of New Holland or Kubota.

Rear SCV - The lever for the rear SCV is directly connected to the valve. The push-pull cable engagement from the 4x10-series is gone. Much more feedback through the lever. Nice.

Seat - Nice, high-backed seat. Should provide hours of comfort.

Dash - Simple and easy-to-read. Real, analog gauges...the way a dash should be, in my opinion. Not a cheezy, digital system like Kubota's.

I didn't drive one, but this new 4x20-series from Deere has definitely been improved over the previous series. I am really excited about these new Deere engines. Turbocharged on all models. High torque figures that blows away the competition. The 4x20-series should be great performers.

/ New 4x20-series First Impressions #2  
EquipmentJunkie,

Were are the pictures? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Don't tell me you did not take any pictures??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hypernix

/ New 4x20-series First Impressions #3  
Do you have a dealer near you? My dealer has had these for a few weeks now - I've checked them out as well. I'd take a 4710 in a heartbeat... but these are pretty good looking too.

/ New 4x20-series First Impressions
Sorry, no pictures. I didn't even think about it.
Pictures would have been helpful in describing the lame hood flex situation.
The dealer had:
1 - 4720
1 - 4520 Hydro w/ 400x loader
1 - 4520 Power Reverser

/ New 4x20-series First Impressions #5  
Here are a few 4720 shots I took yesterday at my dealer.

Side view.

Attachments

• 465619-4720 side.jpg
    465619-4720 side.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 466
   / New 4x20-series First Impressions #6  
Operator's position - not sure I spot 'increased visibility' but it's awfully hard to tell without a loader mounted.

Attachments

• 465622-4720 view.jpg
    465622-4720 view.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 412
   / New 4x20-series First Impressions #7  
Obligatory 3/4 view.

Attachments

• 465624-4720.jpg
    465624-4720.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 434
   / New 4x20-series First Impressions #8  
Just watched a loader being put on these tractors. The loader mounting frames are covered up by the loader masts now, they fit right over instead of our designs on the 430 and 460 where you have to line up the tabs on the frames with the masts, shocks are now on the loader for rough terrain, the latch plate retainer and plate has been removed and 2 spring loaded latches are now in place by where the latch plate lever used to be. When mounting the quik park stand comes up into the weight bracket and hooks on. Real easy mounting. I wish Deere would have made the loader masts a smooth metal like ours as the one we have in the shop now has very coarse metal to it. Not the fit and finish I had first thought. I will sit on it and replay as to the increased visibility or not. I am used to the square loaders driving the 4020 at work with the 720 loader.

/ New 4x20-series First Impressions #9  
I think the ground clearance is awesome...

466766-sprayer.jpg

Attachments

• 466766-sprayer.jpg
    466766-sprayer.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 217
   / New 4x20-series First Impressions #10  
IMHO that front end makes the new TCs look great.