Rotary Cutter New 8' Kodiak Cutter

/ New 8' Kodiak Cutter #1  

TnWV

Platinum Member
Tractor
2003 Zetor 4341 w/FEL, 1970 MF 150, 2012 JD X530
I've read several posts in the past asking about Kodiak Brand cutters. I was unable to find many, if any, negative reviews, so a couple of weeks ago I decided to purchase one. Since purchasing my tractor last July, I have been searching for an 8' cutter that would fall within its limits. The Kodiak weighs 1250 lbs and has a minimum HP requirement of 38. Since I have 56 PTO HP I figured this would be the perfect fit. My local Kodiak dealer was asking $1500 more than the next closest dealer which was only 60 miles away, so I loaded up and went for it. The local dealer has nearly priced his way out of the market on everything he sells. He is primarily a Mahindra dealer and has had multiple different brands of tractors and mowers along the way. Heck he doesnt even have a service dept anymore. I don't know how is even in business at all with his high prices and lack of service dept. I know I wont even stop by to price anything else. Once getting to the dealer I purchased from the told me they had 2 8' Kodiaks that were "Scratch & dent". A little faded paint and a few scatches and I saved another $600. Still get the full factory warranty. I a non "scatch & Dent" would look worse than this one after one season, so I was glad to save the money.

Anyway after cutting a couple acres of steep ground that had not been cut last year, I am glad I went with the 8 footer. I powered through like there wasn't anything there. Also, the cutter looks very well built to me and cost a fraction of a Bush Hog or other brand. With its thick construction, huge gear boxes, and the fact that I will mostly just be cutting fields with it, I figure it will last me may years. As whether and time permits, I will update on its performance and reliability for anyone who is interested.

Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• Random 202.jpg
    Random 202.jpg
    684.3 KB · Views: 1,305
  • Random 203.jpg
    Random 203.jpg
    719.4 KB · Views: 1,215
  • Random 204.jpg
    Random 204.jpg
    718.5 KB · Views: 564
  • Random 205.jpg
    Random 205.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 471
  • Random 206.jpg
    Random 206.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 423
   / New 8' Kodiak Cutter #2  
Nice bush hog. I know the Mahindra dealer you are talking about that doesn't have a service dept. What dealer did you purchase form?

/ New 8' Kodiak Cutter
I purchased from Lemon's Farm Equipment in Parkersburg. They are a Massey dealer,and are great people to work with. Really went out of there way to help me. When I called about the cutter they told me there was a factory price increase when the next load arrived in a few days, but sold it to me me at the current price even though I couldn't pick it up for two weeks with nothing down. The person who loaded it accidentally loaded the "scotch & dent" one. I didnt see the faded paint until I got home and chalked it up to sitting on the lot for a while. On Monday they called and fessed up to the mistake and gave me the option of returning it or sending me a check for the difference. I took the check. I will definitely be buying any future new implements from them.

/ New 8' Kodiak Cutter #4  
I purchased from Lemon's Farm Equipment in Parkersburg. They are a Massey dealer,and are great people to work with. Really went out of there way to help me. When I called about the cutter they told me there was a factory price increase when the next load arrived in a few days, but sold it to me me at the current price even though I couldn't pick it up for two weeks with nothing down. The person who loaded it accidentally loaded the "scotch & dent" one. I didnt see the faded paint until I got home and chalked it up to sitting on the lot for a while. On Monday they called and fessed up to the mistake and gave me the option of returning it or sending me a check for the difference. I took the check. I will definitely be buying any future new implements from them.

I have yet to visit their lot. I will stop by when I am in the area. It is always good to look around. I would love to have a 8 foot cutter but it is just a tad bit big for my Kubota L4400.

/ New 8' Kodiak Cutter #5  
Great looking cutter, Kodiak makes heavy duty attachments, I have a 72" rake that's built like a tank, very well built product.
Devildog

/ New 8' Kodiak Cutter
Lemon's seemed to have a pretty impressive inventory of tractors and implements. I plan go get a box blade in the next month or so and they have already given the best prices I've found.

/ New 8' Kodiak Cutter
Thanks devildog. I agree, Kodiak seems to be heavy built. I hope it is as strong and reliable as it looks, if so It will last a long time. It will be kept indoors when not in use so that should help.

I was able to see the Bushhog 3008 almost side by side at the dealership. The 3008 weighs more and has a higher minimum HP rating, but overall did not look that much heavier. Couldnt see paying $3,000 more for the bushhog, and the dealer said they sell way more Kodiak these days than Bushhog with no more warranty issues than any other brand they sell.

I guess time will tell how it holds up, I just wish it would quit raining long enough to dry out so I can get to work using it.

/ New 8' Kodiak Cutter #8  
Nice looking bush-hog.Seems like you got a lotta bang for buck. :thumbsup:
If you haven't already check your gearbox oil and your slip clutch adjustment.

Boone

/ New 8' Kodiak Cutter
Dealer check the gear oil before loading it and then I checked it again after mowing a couple of acres. This is the first slip clutch that I have ever owned, so I am not familiar with how to check it. I browsed through the owners manual when I got it, and believe the procedre was in there. I just wish it would quit raining long enough to use it some more.