New Aquiline Talon tire chains!

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #1  

toddbiss

Bronze Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti CK20hst
Just installed some new Talon tire chains after realizing that R4 tire are useless on snow and ice. I had 2-link v-bars on my last tractor and so far I like these better, more money but better quality and no need to use springs or bungees to make them tight, plus the ride is smoother.

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #2  
Just installed some new Talon tire chains after realizing that R4 tire are useless on snow and ice. I had 2-link v-bars on my last tractor and so far I like these better, more money but better quality and no need to use springs or bungees to make them tight, plus the ride is smoother.

I bought Aquiline Talons last fall and I am really pleased with them. They are a bit pricey but well worth the money to me. I had to start parking my tractor on rubber horse mats because the Talons started chewing the concrete on my garage floor.

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #3  
They are great chains. I also wanted to protect my garage floor and apron. I use an old sheet of plywood.

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #4  
Might have to check them out. thanks

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #5  
I bought these Talon tractor tire chains in (07) for my L3400 Kubota, tire size 11.2-24, and as of last year, they started breaking, I feel they should last at least 10 years of average use. I just put them on again this year and already one cross link broke just by rolling the tractor ahead while trying to snug them up. The L3400 is not that big of a tractor, I use it to plow snow and skid out firewood and logs. I don't think 9mm studded cross chains are big enough, so I don't know if I should buy another set or may be try ForesTrac Tractor Studded Tire Chain at (Tire Chains Required) web site, but they say those chains need 4 inches clearance between the fenders, I have 3 inches. I cant imagine tire chains needing 4 in. clearance, sounds a lot to me, that's what I liked about the Talon tire chains, they have all kinds of clearance between the finders. One would think for $500.00, should be able to get a decent set of tire chains.

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #6  
Are they breaking in the same place? I have the same chains but by a different mfg. I can never spell the name correctly, Tellefsdal. Anyway the difference between the two chains is how they connect the cross links with the two chains that wrap around the tire tread. Here's a pic of mine.
chain1.jpg
If you look at the Talons it looks like the cross link is extra long. I goes from the side chain up around to the tread, turns and becomes one of the two center chains that wrap around the tire tread, then turn again, go across the tread, turn again and now become part of the other center chain, turn once more and head down to the other side chain. They use a welded loop to connect the studded chain at the four locations where it turns. If you look closely I think you can see it in this pic.
talon1.jpg
Here is a picture from Aquiline themselves. It looks like they replaced that welded loop with cast steel pieces.
ast.jpg
If it's that welded loop that's breaking maybe you can get Aquiline to send you the cast steel links to replace them.

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #7  
I wish I could learn how to put pictures on this forum, I have to wait for my Daughter to show up to do that, that's why I'm just a welda.
The Talon tire chains I have are like the next picture down that you show with a welded loop that I guess holds everything together. That welded loop isn't the one that breaks, it's them bleeping blanking 9mm studded chains that keep breaking, they might as well made them out of cast iron or aluminum if there going to break that easy. luckily my son found the 2 half's, and I held them together with vise grips while he welded it. looks like they are to brittle and to small, I guess need something with 11-13mm chain on this little tractor, or different brand. This headache started last year when I bolted some chains from the tire rim to the side chain to try and hold them on straight, this year I bought some spring tensioners to see if that will stop the chains from breaking and keep them on straight, will find out soon, 3 strikes/breaks and there off. Right now it's looking like I have to spend another $5-800.00 for tire chains again, not happy about that.
I like to know if anyone has tried (ForesTrac Tractor Studded tire chains, at Tire Chains Required web site) supposedly they need 4" clearance between the fenders, and I cant imagine why, are the studs 4" long or what?

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #8  
Boy I am glad I got the Norse Tellefsdal chains like Al's. I am having no problems for 10 years and mine are only 5/16" ( 8mm ). My L3010 which is the same size as your L3400 has 12.4 X 24 R1s and weighs about 5000 lbs with loaded tires and loader. Do you have them mounted to tight ?? They need slop. Those little links are quick couplers. So many on there some will come off for sure. I wouldn't like that.

Edit: Looking closer at Al's picture it looks like the links have the drive pins in them - They won't come off.

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #9  
I don't have those new Talon chains with the with the cast steel connecters, so I wonder why they have them instead of welded links?
I have my chains on snug which is all that I can get with the cam lever that's on the side chains. I might be wrong, but seems to me that tight chains shouldn't break or be an issues on tires made of rubber with air in it. I would think tire chains ot to be stronger than rubber, or at least strong as my 5/16" tow chain, I wont go in to details how I abuse that over past umpteen years with no breakage. Maybe tow chains are stronger then tire chains, if that's the case, I'll start looking into making tire chains out of tow chains, even it takes me 20 years, I read somewhere that stubbornness is a virtue.

/ New Aquiline Talon tire chains! #10  
Oldpath05: Something sounds funky about the metal in your Talon chains. They should be mounted a little loose. You do have the weight of half the tractor rear-end prying/pulling on them in some positions as the tire goes around.

Maybe get in touch with the Talon folks and explain what is happening? You never know until you ask.

I have the Norse Telefsdal chains too. 3/8" chain. I can't imagine them breaking on my 40 hp tractor. They are about the same age as yours.