New Branson 2610h just arrived. Initial impressions.

/ New Branson 2610h just arrived. Initial impressions. #1  

dfkrug

Tractor
05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe, XN08 mini-X
Last fall, I went looking for a CUT with HST for my neighbor. Something fairly new and low hours in the 2000-3000 pound weight class (naked) with loader. Slim pickens in the local used market.

So I got a quotation from the Branson dealer 100 miles from here, and got a price for a 2610h with FEL, BB, mower, and forks.

Here it is, delivered this week.

Runs quietly and drives very smoothly. Since this CUT only makes 24hp, no DPF or DEF. Simple mechanical FI, with heated intake. Beautiful red paint on steel fenders and hood.

Surprisingly, the 2610 has old-fashioned foot clutch and forward-mounted FEL joystick. And no split brakes.

The safety nannies do allow the tractor to be started in gear, which is a plus. The seat presence switch kills the engine if you use the brakes while the PTO is engaged. That has to go.
B2610H_1.jpg

B2610H_2.jpg

B2610H_3.jpg

B2610H_4.jpg

/ New Branson 2610h just arrived. Initial impressions. #2  
Looks good! Congratulations to your neighbor.

/ New Branson 2610h just arrived. Initial impressions. #3  
I'm not familiar with that model. Thanks for sharing.

/ New Branson 2610h just arrived. Initial impressions. #5  
applying the brake causes the engine to quit sounds like a wiring error to me. On my 2400H applying the brake just activates the tail - stop lights. No interface with the seat switch that I have ever noticed. The seat switch was super sensitive on mine so jumper wire solved that problem on a permanent basis.

/ New Branson 2610h just arrived. Initial impressions.
I have yet to find a service manual for this tractor. (!)

Seat presence switch problem is due to when you push on brake pedal, your a55 rises up and kills engine when PTO is on. Not a problem if you are well-fed and larger than I am. I had the same problem with my new Bobcat CT230. Even worse, the Bobcat's PTO did not have to be on. Push brake hard and engine dies.

Most CUTs have parking brake integrated with the foot brake, making this kind of safety switch problem worse. The Branson uses an automotive-style hand-operated lever for the parking brake.

Seat switch on the CT230 had to be immediately jumpered to use the tractor.

/ New Branson 2610h just arrived. Initial impressions. #7  
Hmmm. That's interesting that there's so much difference between models in the same brand.

My 3725 has no safety or nanny switches on it at all. You can freely get up and out of the cab with the engine running, even with HST in gear, and with the PTO running.

I think I would also be looking to bypass that switch if it shuts off when you use the brakes.

Very strange.

Reminds me of a kind of funny story when I worked at the Bobcat factory we got in some new Doosan forklifts (to use in the factory) and one of our lead welders was small enough he couldn't keep the seat safety switch engaged. We kept teasing him about eating more at lunch, or he'd come back from break and we'd set a cinder block on his seat (he was also a bit on the short side).

/ New Branson 2610h just arrived. Initial impressions. #8  
Sounds like my 2400H swivel in the seat to look over shoulder while backing up and would kill the engine. Mine was a simple two wire switch so just made a jumper wire for connecting plug. That way if grand kids run it can easily plug the switch back in

Sounds like my 2400H swivel in the seat to look over shoulder while backing up and would kill the engine.
Yeah, it did that for me as well. I and the new owner were testing out the mower when I discovered the seat switch issue. If I was not really careful how I rotated to look behind me, the seat would come up enough to kill the engine.

And I am not THAT light. 142# wet; maybe 150-155 fully geared up for working. My Kioti seat has adjustable suspension, and no seat switch, thankfully.

For you long-time Branson owners: do your tractors also not have split brakes? And the auto-style parking brake?

Back in '04, I decided to get a new tractor, and costs were such that I was going to get a Korean CUT. I could buy a new Kioti, Mahindra, TYM, or Branson for the price of a recent used Kubota L3130. Branson did not have any HSTs at that time. I bought the Kioti CK30, and have been very happy with it (1000 hours now).