New BX2380 rear tires are different profile?

/ New BX2380 rear tires are different profile? #1  

Jeff59Va

Tractor
Kubota L3240HST, Kubota RTV1120D, Kubota BX2380
I recently took delivery of a new-to-me BX2380. I purchased from a non-Kubota equipment dealer in Pennsylvania and the original owner purchased it in September of 2018. So less than 1 year old and it has 30 hours.

The mower deck was not set up to my liking (the dial showed a different height than the actual cut height). So I get it set it up better - no issues. I first checked the tire pressures and set all 4 to factory 14 rear and 17 front for turf tires. But while I am doing this it seems to me that the rear tires are somewhat of a different profile - like the one is not as tall, but is fatter. It's hard to measure the tires themselves, but by my measure one tire is 12 1/4 inches wide and the other is 12 3/4 inches. I measure the heights at the same point on the rear fenders and yeah, it seems to be off by 1/2 to 3/4 inches. Put a level on the tail lights and yeah, not level.

Is this just manufacturing differences for the tires? It seems crazy to me that tires that small are that different from each other. And yes, they are the same brand and size and seem to be OEM. They are both filled with beet juice, and seem to be filled properly - there is some air headspace when the valve stems are at 12:00, so they are not overfilled or anything.

So, what do I do anything?

Hard to see, but the left tire is taller - you can see it aligned with the bottom of the fender, but the right has a gap
IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1341.JPG
    IMG_1341.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1342.JPG
    IMG_1342.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1343.JPG
    IMG_1343.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 163
   / New BX2380 rear tires are different profile? #2  
I bought a BX1870 new in 2016. It had ag tires on the dealer lot--I wanted turf tires, which they didn't have, and I was told they did a wheel swap with another nearby Kubota dealer to get me my preferred setup asap. I no longer remember how long it took, but months after purchase I noticed the same thing you're seeing on yours--a slightly different shape between the tires, and a slight (mine is maybe 1/2") lean to one side. My turfs are also filled with beet juice.

In researching a bit, I found folks saying this is not all that uncommon, and they said the problem comes from the tires coming out of two different molds that are supposed to be identical, but for whatever reason aren't. And maybe the weight of the beet juice compounds the difference.

If I'd noticed it on mine within a week or so of delivery, I would have notified the dealer, and asked them to fix it. But given that it had been several months, and that getting the tractor to the dealer is a major hassle (I don't own a trailer or tow vehicle) or major expense (if the dealer came to pick it up), I'm just living with it. Not sure the dealer would have done anything anyway. I'm guess I would have heard about "normal manufacturing variability--within tolerance," etc.

They did set up my deck well so my cut is level, and now over three years later, I haven't needed to adjust anything. The only problem it's caused so far is to my sense of visual symmetry. It does still bug me when I see it. And someday I'll maybe need new tires and then I'll make sure it's fixed.

/ New BX2380 rear tires are different profile? #3  
I know you said you checked the pressures to 14# but boy that left tire looks over pressured compared to the right. Just for $$it's and giggles I'd take the right one to 20# and see if that changes the look.

/ New BX2380 rear tires are different profile?
Thanks for the responses. I will try to play with the pressures this weekend and see if that changes anything. I may just pull both tires and take some more detailed measurements so I have something more than they "look different".

I did some Googling and yes, it seems like a thing, but no real resolutions were posted that I could find. I might contact the manufacturer (Carlisle) and see what they say about their manufacturing tolerances.

/ New BX2380 rear tires are different profile?
An update: I measured the circumference of each tire and they are different - 81 inches on the left and 80 on the right with both at 14 pounds. I played around with the pressures to try to get them about the same circumference and ended up with 10 pounds on the left and 20 pounds in the right. With the 10-20 pressure, the circumferences are within 1/8 inch, each about 80.5 inches. Tractor is level now and tires look normal.

The OCD part of me is not comfortable with it, but is it ok to run the pressures that different?

IMG_1344.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

/ New BX2380 rear tires are different profile? #6  
The higher pressure will be prone to punctures vs the lower press. I would run both the same.

/ New BX2380 rear tires are different profile? #7  
There are codes on the sides of the tires and that would give you the plant that they were built at and the day. It could be that they are far enough off that they could be different. I find about 10 lbs is about where I like the rear pressures on BX's You should have a full width tread print on the ground.

/ New BX2380 rear tires are different profile? #8  
..The mower deck was not set up to my liking (the dial showed a different height than the actual cut height).
.... but by my measure one tire is 12 1/4 inches wide and the other is 12 3/4 inches.

So, what do I do anything?

An update: I measured the circumference of each tire and they are different - 81 inches on the left and 80 on the right......
...with the 10-20 pressure, the circumferences are within 1/8 inch, each about 80.5 inches. Tractor is level now and tires look normal.

The OCD part of me is not comfortable with it, but is it ok to run the pressures that different?

.....and... ???

Say this out loud: "Jeff: It's OK. It's OK. IT. IS. OK ." - Tell this to yourself. Now repeat it. Now say it again! And again. And one more time. Keep repeating until you feel the anxiety release from your body a sense of calmness enter your consciousness. "Ohhhmmmm"

Ahh heck. Who am I fooling? Mr. OCD needs to rid himself of those misfits & send both to the landfill and get two new ones. :D

Last edited:
   / New BX2380 rear tires are different profile? #9  
I have modified a set of rims so that I can use 26x12x12 tires on the front of my 4410. I've replaced tires several times over the years. It's been a challenge at times to get two front tires the same dimensions. Fortunately I have a tire shop that understands and works with me to get two tires in that match. There is also a huge difference in tire heights between different manufacturers of the same size tire. I always try to find the tallest 26x12x12 tire that I can find as they are very similar in height to the 27x8.50x15 tire that my 4410 came from the factory with.

So all the best in finding a set of rear tires that "match".

/ New BX2380 rear tires are different profile? #10  
An update: I measured the circumference of each tire and they are different - 81 inches on the left and 80 on the right with both at 14 pounds. I played around with the pressures to try to get them about the same circumference and ended up with 10 pounds on the left and 20 pounds in the right. With the 10-20 pressure, the circumferences are within 1/8 inch, each about 80.5 inches. Tractor is level now and tires look normal.

View attachment 615861

View attachment 615862

I wouldn't be afraid of running the different pressure.
The reason I mentioned the different pressure is that I know it affects the way my fwd disengage 's if they are different front to rear. So I know it changes the circumstance of the tire.