New Chair

/ New Chair #1  

FredH

Platinum Member
Tractor
N.H. TC-30
What Better Half , Me , Our New Holland Tractor and My 441 Magnum Stihl Accomplished this Afternoon .

Tree was thick with mistletoe , thus it was only a matter of time before it died . Could not drop it as one complete tree , had to basically limb it in place using the tractor and clamp on forks for the bucket . Only casualty was one of the Rhododendron's lost a little limb on it , it's pot got a chunk took out of it and the R.R. tie at bottom of picture of tree got split a little bit . The remainder will be chained to tractor bucket , cut off about 3' above ground and lifted away while the stump portion will be shaped into a chair . ( Thus the title to my thread :) )

100_1382.jpg 100_1385.JPG

It will be added to the log truck load of madrone sitting outside the yard by the driveway . Living in the country does not mean you can slow down regardless of age , You just have to work Smarter , Not Harder , ( Thus the New Holland ) :)

Fred H.

/ New Chair #2  
I'm in...are ya going to shape with a chainsaw? I do little saw carving, that is neanderthal caveman like stuff & I am looking forward to your chair project.

/ New Chair #3  
Please post pics of your progress. I've never done a chair, but really enjoy sanding cedar logs to make them look nice and cutting them with a chain saw to create shelves and a fireplace mantle. I've found that a high quality flapper disk on a 4 1/2 grinder works the best at taking away a lot of material quickly. Norton is my favorite brand so far, and I get them from Home Depot. There is a HUGE different in brands and how long they last!!!! Then I like to work my way through my sanders, the big belt sander, then the small belt sander, then the random orbital sander and finally the quarter sheet palm sander.

Eddie

/ New Chair #6  
One of the best books on chair making, especially making it from a tree is Mike Abbotts "going with the grain". I will be making a few chairs once I can find the logs in front of my barn. The book gives clear directions, and what works and what doesn't. He is a great writer. There are stools, spindle back, lathe back, and rocking chairs.

/ New Chair #10  
I'm in too. I thought you were going to do something with the top part of the Y. I was looking at it trying to see a chair buried in there.