New Computer

/ New Computer #41  
If he is editing 4k video, he probably doesn't have time for any gaming.

/ New Computer #42  
I think the desktop is now a dead end technology. It was always only a small percentage of people that used these, for private creative reasons, at home. The true use of computers for most people, is now mobile information access. The Smart Phone provides this.
Dealing with smartphones makes me appreciate what my parents' generation went thru trying to figure out how to program a VCR. :LOL:
I can generally figure out the basics eventually, but overall I find them not very intuitive in operation. A piece of technology I've decided to skip for the foreseeable future.
I greatly prefer a desktop PC. Large monitor (actually dual on mine), large keyboard, mouse a lot easier to use than touchscreens and a much more versatile OS.

/ New Computer #43  
I will say that Smart Phones are NOT intuitive to use. And I like your use of the word "Intuitive." I have struggled with Smart Phones also. And I have been involved with computers for over 40 years. The menu systems make no sense to me as to how to navigate them to the place you want to go. Had a strange, and some what complicated occurrence with an old girl friend visiting my area. She was tethered to a phone for direction and recommendations. I was attempting to show her the unique things, that a google search could not find, that were off the track; and she had great difficultly following to these special places with out the phone to say turn here and there, which were all wrong. She is still a good friend, but It was difficult in the way she was using her phone to always say, "This Place," which I'd been to, and it was not the best. The Phone was directing her and telling her, at the same time, "This is where you go and this is the best," over what I was saying as more interesting.

The Phone Won. I still find this interesting, that an old friend, in my case, was ursuped by a cell phone.

Last edited:
   / New Computer #44  
This is just a hobby, not commercial or use heavy duty software.
For ME, I don’t like “All in One” non upgradeable computers like the iMac, as nice as they are, and I already have a 34” 3 1/2K monitor. I can now have one monitor for both my Mac and the Windows machine at the same time on the same screen and with the switch of a button go full screen on one and use the other monitor for the other so I don’t need to keep booting back and forth. (But still gotta use 2 mice and 2 keyboards, getting pretty good at it now)
A few years ago my youngest son and I both built a couple of Windows gaming rigs and I needed a few Windows apps that just didn’t play well on the Mac OS. At least that’s what I told the wife anyway.

Like it’s been mentioned before, if you have any computer with a spinning HD get an SSD. You will really be surprised at how quick it boots up, not kidding. But get a larger one then you would think you need as the applications, games, etc are getting to be quite large and over time it will fill up much sooner than you think. Use your old HD as a backup drive.

Started out with the Apple IIe way back in the day and upgraded every other model or so. My 2010 MacPro is still my everyday usage and still running great. Just got a new graphics card a couple of years ago and can still play most of the games, at least on the mid settings. It is at the end of it’s life tho as far as 3rd party hardware/software. Well, even the Mac OS has left me behind. Lol.
I can technically go one more step up but it’s 64 bit only and I have too many 32 bit apps and games I use fairly regularly. The new MacPro’s just out priced me. Can I afford one, yes. Can I justify it as a hobby, no. Not sure If I’ll get another laptop for my “desk top” or the newer Mac Mini.

We went to iPad tablets when we went on vacation a couple of years ago and actually worked out pretty good. I hate using the smartphone but the larger tablet worked great. Used to lug the laptop, charger, etc, around with us and decided to try something else. We are gonna be gone on a month’s (?) long “Walk About” this summer around the states so I might still bring the laptop just so the wife can do her major updating to her online crap. That will probably decide which to get.

/ New Computer #45  
I think the desktop is now a dead end technology.

The technology is the same as a laptop, just a different and compressed form factor, which is what makes laptops more expensive, harder to modify. Lots of people prefer desktops so they can customiz.
But in reality, I do most things with a smartphone. I use laptop for video editing, CADD, spreadsheets.

/ New Computer #46  
I will say that Smart Phones are NOT intuitive to use. And I like your use of the word "Intuitive." I have struggled with Smart Phones also. And I have been involved with computers for over 40 years. The menu systems make no sense to me as to how to navigate them to the place you want to go. Had a strange, and some what complicated occurrence with an old girl friend visiting my area. She was tethered to a phone for direction and recommendations. I was attempting to show her the unique things, that a google search could not find, that were off the track; and she had great difficultly following to these special places with out the phone to say turn here and there, which were all wrong. She is still a good friend, but It was difficult in the way she was using her phone to always say, "This Place," which I'd been to, and it was not the best. The Phone was directing her and telling her, at the same time, "This is where you go and this is the best," over what I was saying as more interesting.

The Phone Won. I still find this interesting, that an old friend, in my case, was ursuped by a cell phone.
My wife visited family in another state over the holidays. At one point, I remember her telling me that her family was sitting around the living room on their phones.

/ New Computer #47  
What's funny is I hired into the Navy shipyard over here to get away from driving semi on the hwy the same time another fella started and he came up excited one day on finding some silly stuff he could do on the phone. So needless to say a mid 40's burnt out air traffic controller guy and a 60ish burnt out truck driver ended up sending each other things we could do on the phone. Giggled like 2 little girls.

/ New Computer #48  
When I first got into doing a little computer repair, sales and programming back in the 80s, The first hard drive I installed for a customer was 1 full height Hitachi 10MB drive. The drive and controller cost a little north of $1200.
How things have changed, M.2 NVMEs are getting cheaper all the time. Just bought a 256GB WD NVME SSD for $25.
An interesting thing I discovered when looking for a CPU and MB to upgrade a friend's old XP machine to WIN 10, was that the new Ryzen chips can be had cheaper the some of the older AMD FX processors.
I have an NIB FX8370 that would cost three times what I paid for it a few years ago.

/ New Computer #49  
Last edited:
   / New Computer #50  
I worked on Dec Vax and the hard drive enclosures were the size of a large dishwasher.
Using cassettes on early home computers to load programs needed to be planned due to the time it took to load.
I still use desktops as storage servers (pictures, videos, music) and for backups of all our devices from school chromebooks to iphones/android phones and various laptops.

For large storage requirements now, desktops are great, cheap and the larger cases can hold a lot of drives to present on the network. Both run Unix apps.

I don't always follow phone directions, sometimes veering off the path a bit and letting the phone calculate a new path, will take you to new places.

Directions on a phone are recommendations, I think some people don't understand that.