New Digital Camera ???

/ New Digital Camera ??? #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
I am considering buying a Canon Powershot S1. Things I like are a 10 X stabilized zoom, it uses AA batteries, and it is small compared to the Panasonic DMC FZ20. The picture is only 3 Meg wondering if I will regret this in the future? Most pictures I take we burn on a CD and make up a slide show, very rarely do we print anything out, but this may change too, leaving my options open. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So does anyone have a S1 and if you do, do you like it, any regrets??

Anyone know if Canon will be coming out with a new and improver version of the S1?

Any other suggestions on cameras, I want to spend around $500.

Thanks

/ New Digital Camera ??? #2  
I think for 500 bucks you can do much better on the pixels and the speed of the optics.

My daughter just picked up a 4.1 mega-pixel with 3x zoom for
99.00 dollars. Three years ago a similar model with 3 mega-pixels cost me 500.00.

I'd look around, go for the speed click factor.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New Digital Camera ??? #4  
Tom
I just went through the same buying a new camera. The Canon Power Shot S1 was on the list as was the Panasonic.
Ended up buying the Konica Minolta's DiMAGE A200 . $800 with 1 gig memory and other stuff.
Here is a post on the Canon S1. Click Here.
Lots of good information in the thread.

/ New Digital Camera ??? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am considering buying a Canon Powershot S1. Things I like are a 10 X stabilized zoom, it uses AA batteries, and it is small compared to the Panasonic DMC FZ20. The picture is only 3 Meg wondering if I will regret this in the future? Most pictures I take we burn on a CD and make up a slide show, very rarely do we print anything out, but this may change too, leaving my options open. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So does anyone have a S1 and if you do, do you like it, any regrets??

Anyone know if Canon will be coming out with a new and improver version of the S1?

Any other suggestions on cameras, I want to spend around $500.

Thanks
)</font>

A 3 meg camera will print out a nice 8 by 10 picture unless you are gonna crop it. It sounds like that Canon will do everything you want to do. Why spend a bunch more money then you need too. I have a 4 meg Camera now that really is overkill for what i need. That Canon is on my list to get just because of the 10 zoom. That is something that would be nice to have. Don't get caught up in the more megapixel is better game. Three is good although I wouldn't go under that .

/ New Digital Camera ??? #7  
Tom,

I have an S1, and it's a lot of camera. The best things about it are the 10x IS lens and the video mode. I have a 2GB microdrive which fits in the CF slot, and it will hold 1000 highest quality pictures or 20 minutes of DV quality movies. 3.2MP is plenty for 8x10 prints and more than enough for slide shows. The 10x lens greatly reduces the need for cropping.

Read this discussion by a very talented photographer on which camera he would use if he could only have one. Follow the link at the bottom of his post to see what the S1 can do in the hands of an artist. He uses several different cameras, so you would have to surf around his galleries (I hope you have a highspeed internet connection), since I don't think he has a dedicated S1 gallery.

There is a lot of speculation that Canon will introduce a replacement for the S1 at the PMA show later this month, so you might wait and see if it's a big improvement. Maybe 5MP (4 isn't much of a jump over 3.2) and 12x zoom and an autofocus assist lamp for low light pictures. If they do come out with something, the S1 might be further discounted. It was $500 when it came out last February, and the "S2" will probably be in that neighborhood - if there is an "S2". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ New Digital Camera ??? #8  
The S1-IS is unique in the moderate price range. It has 10x optical zoom (extraordinary for moderate cost cameras) and unique Image Stabilization hardware so you can use this long zoom handheld. The overall size of the camera is a little larger than those with normal 3x zoom.

I would buy it in an instant if I had a specialized application that needed the long zoom. (Best example: when my kids played soccer I often used a multiplier zoom on my Nikon 950.)

For recent overseas travel I considered the S1-IS but instead bought a similar Canon A75. To me the most important criteria was it was small enough to conceal in my shirt or trousers pocket most of the time. See attached. Also it used AA cells and CF cards which I already had.

Here's endless discussion of the S1-IS in the rec.photo.digital Usenet newsgroup.

You might consider Canon's higher resolution A85 or A95 if you often enlarge a small portion of an image. I think the A75 is sufficient for my primary use, web photos, and it makes 4x6 prints that are indistinguishable from those made from 35mm/PhotoCD. S1-IS has the same pixel count as A75 so should make similar pictures.

/ New Digital Camera ???
Thanks guys this just the info I needed. I am not in a hurry to buy one, so waiting a month or so is not a problem, but want one before our big trip in the summer. If would be great if they come out with an improved version of the Canon.