New Drill Press

/ New Drill Press #1  

jjeff

Elite Member
Tractor
kubota l2850, kubota l4150
Hi Im looking for ideas and suggestions for a new drill press to replace my current porter cable floor model (its only three years old but is currently struggling and the belt tensioner broke again). It will mostly be used for drilling steel I use it extensively daily when I'm doing a project than sits for weeks unused.
Minimum 4" spindle travel, 5/8 chuck, like it to be a 20" model, minimal runout and heavy duty enough to use 1" plus hole saws and bits. would like it to be 1k or less pains me to say this but seriously considering the harbor freight 20" drill press but sold out til sept. Does not need and don't want laser alignment.
Thanks

/ New Drill Press #2  
For running 1" bits you'll need a low, low speed. Most drills won't get down to 60 and I'd personally look for less than that.

/ New Drill Press
Good point my current drill press has been set since day 1 at its slowest speed of 250 , let me edit my first post I rarely drill anything over 1" but when I do it would be nice to know the press can handle it.

/ New Drill Press #4  
Looks like the lowest chuck speed on the 20 inch HF drill press is 180 rpm (3850 rpm motor).

Used old low rpm motor would help but the belt drive ....?
It would turn into a project.

/ New Drill Press #7  
You all have mentioned my main complaints with all non-industrial grade drill presses I have seen: 1) They don't go slow enough 2) the belt tensioner is crap. Unlike mills, used industrial grade drill presses are not readily available, and too expensive for the average guy. Maybe Lou is right in looking for a used mill.

/ New Drill Press
Ok thanks everyone for the input unfortunately one thing I never got into was machining with lathes and mills, what should I look for in a used mill for drill press purposes? I have 220 but definitely don't want the hassle of obtaining three phase power.

/ New Drill Press #9  
IF your Porter Cable already is working for you, and will handle the drilling chores you have, I think I'd look hard at gearing it down to go slower and build a much better tensioning system. Buy pulleys and slow it down, then make a screw system to tension the belt.

That will cost you less too...

SR

/ New Drill Press #10  
Here is a nice one if you have the $$$ :)
garysdrill778.jpg