New Driveway Project

/ New Driveway Project #1  

podagrower

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC 40
Well, something had to be done. Our existing driveway had washed out, and become impassable to any vehicle without four wheel drive. Our choices were to either fix the existing drive, which wasn't where we wanted it anyway, or put the driveway where we did want it.
On the first day, I started moving trees from around the well, so it could be repaired. It took me about five minutes to break a hydraulic line:( on the grapple, so that was the end of day one.
Day two, I got most of the scrub out of the way and cut down the biggest tree in the way.
Day three, almost all the scrub is removed, the shed is in it's new home.
I won't be able to work much on this during the week, but will be back at it next weekend.
More photos to follow.

Attachments

• 100_1338.JPG
    100_1338.JPG
    908 KB · Views: 599
  • 100_1339.JPG
    100_1339.JPG
    651.8 KB · Views: 469
  • 100_1347.JPG
    100_1347.JPG
    920.2 KB · Views: 440
  • 100_1348.JPG
    100_1348.JPG
    907.5 KB · Views: 500
   / New Driveway Project #2  
Kevin,
Looks like you'll have a little work ahead of you making that new drive. I hate it when you bust something just when you start working, but that's part of life I guess. I will be checking on your progress, it will be interesting to see what you will come up with. Are you considering a surfaced drive (gravel or asphalt) or will it be a dirt drive?

/ New Driveway Project
Rob, we live in the great sand belt of central Fl:D , so on our property there is no such thing as dirt. We can't afford to pay for asphalt or concrete, so the current plan is to put down about 6" limerock.

/ New Driveway Project
For anyone who did not know it, I am a slacker.

I have been working on the driveway. I managed to get all the irrigation laterals I am going to use put in the ground a couple of weeks ago. Then I got sick.

The timing of this project is pretty loose, but now is a great time to work on it becouse work is slow at my real job.

The drive is mostly graded out now, with the exception of a few stumps. I called around looking for prices on aggregate yesterday, and found recycled concrete for a price I was willing to pay. Problem was, it was a take it now price, so I have about 120 cubic yards of rock sitting in the front yard as the driveway was not completly graded.

There is an existing submersible well on the property I was going to refurbish for irrigation, but while trying to pull the pump out, I dropped it:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: . I can still get a jet in the casing with the submersible, so it looks like it will be a jet pump for this project.

/ New Driveway Project #5  
To bad it wasn't graded.
It would have been a lot easier to spread it with the dump truck rather than the tractor.
Couldn't you have made the deal paid for the material and scheduled a delayed delivery date?

podagrower said:
For anyone who did not know it, I am a slacker.

I have been working on the driveway. I managed to get all the irrigation laterals I am going to use put in the ground a couple of weeks ago. Then I got sick.

The timing of this project is pretty loose, but now is a great time to work on it becouse work is slow at my real job.

The drive is mostly graded out now, with the exception of a few stumps. I called around looking for prices on aggregate yesterday, and found recycled concrete for a price I was willing to pay. Problem was, it was a take it now price, so I have about 120 cubic yards of rock sitting in the front yard as the driveway was not completly graded.

There is an existing submersible well on the property I was going to refurbish for irrigation, but while trying to pull the pump out, I dropped it:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: . I can still get a jet in the casing with the submersible, so it looks like it will be a jet pump for this project.

/ New Driveway Project
Couldn't you have made the deal paid for the material and scheduled a delayed delivery date?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunatly, no. I was dealing with the trucker, not the material supplier. He needed to have his truck on the road, not in the yard. He had work lined up for this week, and nothing to do last week.

/ New Driveway Project
Irrigation laterals..... Just to prove I am my father's son, I bought all the pipe and fittings at the same time, from the same store. The output on the well is 1 1/4", so I decided to run 1 1/4 for laterals and reduce to size as needed. I bought about 400' of pipe, rented a ditch witch, started to glue the pipe together, and it is at this point I discover I have purchased 1 1/2 pipe and 1 1/4 fittings.:eek: These two items are extremely difficult to attach to each other. So, in the new irrigation plan, all laterals will be 1 1/2.100_1375.JPG

100_1377.JPG

100_1376.JPG

/ New Driveway Project
For my irrigation valves, I ran a seven conductor cable to the general locations I intend to install valves. Then, I discovered a "zone indexing valve"
basically, you bring water into one of these valves, and every time the water is turned off, it advances to the next station. They are available with two to six outlets, so the only control you need would be to turn the flow of water on and off.