new entry gate

/ new entry gate #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
The wife & I took a week vacation -- funny way to vacation - but we enjoyed it. We bought 20 acres in Feb and the way into it wasn't too great and needed improvement so we picked a spot along the road and went for it. This is a before shot of what it is like all along the road. The heavy brush goes back about 20 feet before it lightens up a bit in the cedars. - call this day 1

Attachments

• 774754-Before-road.jpg
    774754-Before-road.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 737
   / new entry gate
same spot as the "before" shot - a week later

Attachments

• 774755-entry2 (450 x 338).jpg.jpg
    774755-entry2 (450 x 338).jpg.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 658
   / new entry gate
and here is the gate - with opener - /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif 7 work days total - we were there 8 but went down for a day with a busted shear pin on the digger that refused to come out ... and we goofed off a half day with Txdon & Karen... all together a most enjoyable week.

Attachments

• 774756-entry1.jpg
    774756-entry1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 664
   / new entry gate #4  
Mike,

Some people just seem to know how to have more fun than others. You my friend are one of those people. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's a huge improvement, very appealing and inviting!!!

Eddie

/ new entry gate #5  
Hey, your gate opener is the same as mine but I got the 5' 10" model because of my double gates. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The entrance turned out great! You have a really nice place there with such a wide variety of trees. I really like the pines, post oaks and pin oaks. The creek crossing project in the future sounds fun. If you ever get to burn the brush, the meadow smoothing project will mean a ton of seat time. Had a great time with y'all Friday.

So were you able to sink a pole behind the oak?

/ new entry gate #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( a most enjoyable week )</font>

Fine accomplishments always make the time enjoyable, don't they? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ new entry gate #7  
Very nice, Mike! How far is the gate setback? It looks to be at least 50'. I sure like your trees by your entrance, but I don't envy your having to dig post holes through roots. The fence really sets off the entrance nicely. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

One of these days I am going to relocate my drive and build an entrance. But as you know, I don't have any trees to get in my way. That's about the only place I don't have trees.

/ new entry gate #8  
That looks great, I'm in the middle of the same kind of stuff.

/ new entry gate
behind the oak ---- T post wrapped with wood --- put a little concrete at the base to help hold it. Still need to cut of tops of posts, trim ends of boards, and stretch wire from new gate to corner -- where I need to build corner posts. Next weekend.

/ new entry gate
Good guess! 45 feet ... 16ft corral boards X 3 = 48 feet on the angle. Roots weren't the problem with the digger. Just under that sandy loam is some really hard clay. Particularly hard due to dry weather I suspect. I had to add 220lbs to the top of the digger to get it to penetrate and still had trouble. Although I figure it was a root that broke the shear pin 'cause of where that hole was.