New equipment storage barn

/ New equipment storage barn #21  
Good looking building, but your right, theres never enough room, I use the wall tops to mount hooks to hang equipment that is not used regularly.
We have an old pole barn 34' x 27' that has the death lean back and to the right, concrete never had any rerod in it, so we have huge broken chunks listing 4 to 6" up, very dangerous to walk in there. Right now stripping building of electric wire and panel and move service line and generator wire to new garage we had built. Your build time on your building was really awesome, we on the other hand had some problems on the way. Signed paperwork around 9/14/18 and just finished yesterday other than running out of the last piece of steel while fascia. Three months and a day, he quoted us 3 week build. We had 2 other small deck projects but after this nope, just finish the garage and we're done. We are happy with our new garage but had issues all the way through. $35,000 original quote ended up little more, I wanted tyvac wrap, and exterior concrete needed foam insulation wasnt on his plans from engineer, and also switched from steel exterior walls to vinyl siding, so more labor there also. $2500 of add ons later.
Hes not doing insulation or wiring, door company in greenwich is doing three front for now and rear one in spring. Last little gasp for this year trying to get through Christmas. Last two pictures, look at the headers, they are large enough, but not brought out far enough to the edge of the 2 x 6s.
Who does that? I brought code enforcement out and checked, he said was ok and passed, not for me its not. I bought more material, as a cost overage to fill those headers up to be even with 2 x 6s. How does a header only half thick on 2 x 6 support, it might well as be 2 x 4s holding up header, didnt make sense to me either. Never the less, we still love our building, hoping it will be plenty big enough for cars, tractor, and plow truck, let me rephrase that, tractor, plow truck snowblowers, and cars. Laughing...
50' x 36' x 11' eves. 20180903_152649.jpeg20180909_154224.jpeg20180921_161836.jpeg20181109_073627.jpeg20181123_084126.jpeg20181212_163538.jpeg20181214_163644.jpeg20181205_070933.jpeg20181205_070946.jpeg

/ New equipment storage barn #22  
I have to mention one more thing, in the picture of the forms you see even ground thats before he came in and dug 3' down for edge support for Alaskan slab, that was pretty deep. Let me tell you how deep, I was going to mow our property and needed the metal hookup for pulling my Swisher pull behind, so looking at the trench and around corner to where I needed to get extension metal from. I can do this, to lazy to walk around building...I stepped, or tried to step down into trench and I slammed down on my left leg and twisted, ripping out my left knee. I crawled my way in, retrieved what I needed, hooked up unit and mowed. Finished mowing, hobbling in pain, and thought over a nights sleep will be fine. Better in the morning but not great. My mother-in-law was moving over to Middle Grove to live with her son, so, a move was in progress. Me, naturally is a helper at heart, hobbling around helping move stuff all day while grimacing. My son and I had last or so piece, love seat, him backwards and I forward up front steps, to just the front door openning. We stopped to get situated to go through door, I stepped back abit, AND POP..
Down I go right on my rear, couch on me, son is literally trying to pull small sofa off me from other side. My wonderful wife of 38 years drives me to Saratoga hospital, completely ripped out meniscus, oh no.
I just went back to work this past sunday, little wobbly, but will make it, but watched in slow motion the entire build other than this last week from my chair and crutches...
I am my own worst enemy, unbelievable on some of my decisions.

/ New equipment storage barn #23  
I kind of thought that by this time you would be searching out a second site for a bigger barn. It seems that construction of added storage encourages the purchase of added toys/implements. So - in the real world - there never is quite the amount of storage you really want.

But that barn turned out very nice.

/ New equipment storage barn #24  
Good looking building, but your right, theres never enough room, I use the wall tops to mount hooks to hang equipment that is not used regularly.
We have an old pole barn 34' x 27' that has the death lean back and to the right, concrete never had any rerod in it, so we have huge broken chunks listing 4 to 6" up, very dangerous to walk in there. Right now stripping building of electric wire and panel and move service line and generator wire to new garage we had built. Your build time on your building was really awesome, we on the other hand had some problems on the way. Signed paperwork around 9/14/18 and just finished yesterday other than running out of the last piece of steel while fascia. Three months and a day, he quoted us 3 week build. We had 2 other small deck projects but after this nope, just finish the garage and we're done. We are happy with our new garage but had issues all the way through. $35,000 original quote ended up little more, I wanted tyvac wrap, and exterior concrete needed foam insulation wasnt on his plans from engineer, and also switched from steel exterior walls to vinyl siding, so more labor there also. $2500 of add ons later.
Hes not doing insulation or wiring, door company in greenwich is doing three front for now and rear one in spring. Last little gasp for this year trying to get through Christmas. Last two pictures, look at the headers, they are large enough, but not brought out far enough to the edge of the 2 x 6s.
Who does that? I brought code enforcement out and checked, he said was ok and passed, not for me its not. I bought more material, as a cost overage to fill those headers up to be even with 2 x 6s. How does a header only half thick on 2 x 6 support, it might well as be 2 x 4s holding up header, didnt make sense to me either. Never the less, we still love our building, hoping it will be plenty big enough for cars, tractor, and plow truck, let me rephrase that, tractor, plow truck snowblowers, and cars. Laughing...
50' x 36' x 11' eves.View attachment 583056View attachment 583057View attachment 583058View attachment 583059View attachment 583060View attachment 583061View attachment 583062View attachment 583063View attachment 583064

There is nothing structurally deficient with your headers.
I do agree though, that they should have been built out to flush.
It was certainly a cost issue.
More material/time (3 more 2x10's + plywood filler needed).

/ New equipment storage barn #25  
There is nothing structurally deficient with your headers.
I do agree though, that they should have been built out to flush.
It was certainly a cost issue.
More material/time (3 more 2x10's + plywood filler needed).
The garage door guy was here measuring and looking, gave me diagram for beams for mounting brackets for rollers, said header needs to be flush aiding the attachment of the single spring shaft. Yes it was some cost, he used laminated beams for large door headers and 2 x 6 for man doors. Buying 2- 22' laminated beams to fill in four doors plus 16 2 x 6s 10' for roll up door framing plus header over man doors was around $425. But I'd rather have it done to my liking and to what I think would be full support, but at considerable cost I admit.
As you can see, I am making decisions as to insulation type and diagrams for power outlets and circuits for lights, welders, air compressors all have to be thought out and mapped. As a project going forward, my wife and I covered some territory picking up used 8' fluorescent light fixtures, 46 of them to be exact. Will be converting them over to non ballast LEDs lights.
My son is an electrician and hes still shaking his head at me....
Pink insulation is at $3700 but the poor mans foam is around $1300 @ 3" foamboard 4 x 8 x 3" is $24 each. I will be doing little at a time with my grandson helping me, first, garage doors, and man door locks, electric garage door openners will be in spring also. Modine hanging heater will finish up before next winter, I say 200,000 btu, but heater guy says 125,000 is enough, and figuring propane useage at 50 degress all winter.

/ New equipment storage barn #26  
The garage door guy was here measuring and looking, gave me diagram for beams for mounting brackets for rollers, said header needs to be flush aiding the attachment of the single spring shaft. Yes it was some cost, he used laminated beams for large door headers and 2 x 6 for man doors. Buying 2- 22' laminated beams to fill in four doors plus 16 2 x 6s 10' for roll up door framing plus header over man doors was around $425. But I'd rather have it done to my liking and to what I think would be full support, but at considerable cost I admit.
As you can see, I am making decisions as to insulation type and diagrams for power outlets and circuits for lights, welders, air compressors all have to be thought out and mapped. As a project going forward, my wife and I covered some territory picking up used 8' fluorescent light fixtures, 46 of them to be exact. Will be converting them over to non ballast LEDs lights.
My son is an electrician and hes still shaking his head at me....
Pink insulation is at $3700 but the poor mans foam is around $1300 @ 3" foamboard 4 x 8 x 3" is $24 each. I will be doing little at a time with my grandson helping me, first, garage doors, and man door locks, electric garage door openners will be in spring also. Modine hanging heater will finish up before next winter, I say 200,000 btu, but heater guy says 125,000 is enough, and figuring propane useage at 50 degress all winter.

You don't mention what type of ceiling insulation, or if you are even going to have a ceiling.
Impossible to even guess about BTU's required without knowing ceiling/insulation specifics.

/ New equipment storage barn #27  
You don't mention what type of ceiling insulation, or if you are even going to have a ceiling.
Impossible to even guess about BTU's required without knowing ceiling/insulation specifics.
Yes will have ceiling, 11' high 3' foam boards everywhere in between all the wall studs and truss cords. Will be alot of cutting on table saw riping 3" thick about 14 1/4" wide for walls and 22 1/4" for ceilings with a perimeter of spray foam to tighten up and seal. I've been told this is a poor mans spray foam.

/ New equipment storage barn #28  
Yes will have ceiling, 11' high 3' foam boards everywhere in between all the wall studs and truss cords. Will be alot of cutting on table saw riping 3" thick about 14 1/4" wide for walls and 22 1/4" for ceilings with a perimeter of spray foam to tighten up and seal. I've been told this is a poor mans spray foam.
Saw an interesting video hack this morning on how to cut 2" and 3" foam board with table saw with no mess. It shows using a 10" table saw blade with 200 teeth. So, need to grind off all the teeth to resemble a meat cutting blade, leaving a sharp edge and no teeth. Trip to home depot for cheap plywood blade for $10 dollars, and a new spray foam #14 applicator gun for the seal around the foam board permiter.