New floor for the trailer

/ New floor for the trailer #1  

PM Wells

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM 2402D - 1957 Farmall Cub - 1951 Farmall Cub - 1989 Ford 2810
I bought a Hudson 5 ton 6.6x 14 trailer that had been setting for a few years, course it has some surface rust on it, the treated floor was weak in places, it is a 2000 model so I guess the floor held up pretty good. I want to put a new floor on it and have thought about red oak milled down to 7.25 x 1.5 or just replacing with the treated yp like was on it. Also I am thinking about spraying a rust converter on the frame and then a industrial paint, any one have ideas on the floor or the paint? Thanks

/ New floor for the trailer #2  
Red oak will rot use white oak it will last a lot longer than treated lumber...

/ New floor for the trailer #3  
I redid a couple of mine with 2x12 fir, they have held up really well. I don't remember what I used for varnish. Can't help on the paint, I know nothing about that:)

0618010654.jpg

downsized_0504151516.jpg

/ New floor for the trailer
I may just go back with treated 2x8 like was on it

/ New floor for the trailer #5  
I need to refloor my GN.

How do you plan to get the old floor off?

The floor was fastened down with 5/16 star drive screws into the cross members, course they were rusted and would not back out. I drilled down beside them with a 5/8 steel bit through the wood and pried the wood up with a 4x4, then cut the screws off with a metal blade. I am planning to use a rust converter that works as a primer on the frame

The floor was fastened down with 5/16 star drive screws into the cross members, course they were rusted and would not back out. I drilled down beside them with a 5/8 steel bit through the wood and pried the wood up with a 4x4, then cut the screws off with a metal blade. I am planning to use a rust converter that works as a primer on the frame

Here is a pic of the trailer after the floor has been removedIMG_4899.JPG

/ New floor for the trailer #8  
Treated wood comes in different treatment levels. Typically trailer manufactures use the cheapest such as used on decks and it rots much too soon. Replace with 1st choice order CCA preservative lumber (it hasn't been outlawed but needs special ordered). It'll last 20 plus years easily. 2nd choice critical structure grade. This can be direct burried. 3rd choice ground contact grade. Don't buy standard above ground grade.

All treated wood is corrosive to metal. Use galvanized fasteners and undercoat where wood touches trailer.

The treated wood on my new trailer only lasted 6 years before getting soft in places.