New garden tractor coming today!

/ New garden tractor coming today!
Well, I finaly got around to taking some pictures of it. (All pictures clickable thumbnails)

/ New garden tractor coming today! #12  
Nice, looks pretty good condition. I've never seen one with the full electric kit before.
Does your one have the diff lock, there were some that did have one (for what reason I dont know...)?

Mith said:
Nice, looks pretty good condition. I've never seen one with the full electric kit before.
Does your one have the diff lock, there were some that did have one (for what reason I dont know...)?
That is the thing that I have been a bit annoyed about.

I thought I was buying one with a diff lock but then it comes without one....

But I haven't really found a need for it....

I used it for some mowing on a hill that we can't get anyone to go near with a tractor and I had no problems with traction going across, it was difficult going up though.

I don't really understand what model the tractor really is because it is badged an A20-50 (not HE or H) but has a Honda engine. But it also has no diff lock. Perhaps it was built right when they changed the numbering system over.

Last edited:
   / New garden tractor coming today! #14  
Well, you know my solution to traction, get some AG tread tyres. They shouldnt be too hard on your lawn.
The only other thing to do is to lift the sweeper slightly off the ground, so that the weight is transferred to the rear wheels.
Looking at the pictures it looks like a briggs oil filter on your engine?

/ New garden tractor coming today! #15  
Nice looking machine.:)

I am always interested in having a look at equipment that is not available here in the U.S.
Thanks

Mith said:
Well, you know my solution to traction, get some AG tread tyres. They shouldnt be too hard on your lawn.
The only other thing to do is to lift the sweeper slightly off the ground, so that the weight is transferred to the rear wheels.
Looking at the pictures it looks like a briggs oil filter on your engine?
Well, you saying about the Briggs oil filter had me wandering?

There are no markings on the engine at all for some reason and because I don't really know a lot about the small engine market I just assumed it was a Honda as the seller said.

The engine also has some wires coming out of it that are just taped up and didn't look factory.

We had a guy who was sorting out a problem on another tractor who sells garden machinery.

I asked him about it and he said it definitely wasn't one of the new Hondas they put in the new A20-50 :cool:

I decided to ring the old owners and they didn't really know what engine it had but gave me the number of their old dealer.

He was helpful and said it was a very early model A20-50 which he had had from new. It originally had a Briggs in it from the factory.

He used it as a demonstration machine but then had another A20-50 come in for repair with a shot engine from a guy who mowed commercially.

He needed to fix the mower quickly so he took the engine out of my mower and put it in the other machine.

My mower was then put at the back of the shop apparently which would explain it's low hours.

Then, last year he said he got hold of a 23 HP Briggs and Stratton Vanguard off a large walk behind mower that he reconditioned and put in our mower.

So, it would have been nice if it was a Honda but I get a few extra horses with the engine that is in it now :D

/ New garden tractor coming today! #17  
Nice, you are probably better off with the Vanguard anyway.

And being an early model explains the lack of diff lock, and the electric kit (I think standard on the early ones, now an option...)

Mith said:
Nice, you are probably better off with the Vanguard anyway.

And being an early model explains the lack of diff lock, and the electric kit (I think standard on the early ones, now an option...)

I can't really imagine using the machine without the electric...

The deck is built like a tank and weighs alot even though you wouldn't have to lift it too often.

But the collector holds 400 litres of grass and when it is wet it weighs a ton, even the actuator works hard to lift it. I find I have to lift it at the end of every length of the garden to avoid scuffing when reversing and turning tightly. It is easy to be able to flick a switch and it comes up. But if it was manual I think my arm would get tired ;)

/ New garden tractor coming today! #19  
I've noticed previously that most European tractors have an integral grass collection system on them. And they look to be top notch in quality vs. some of the low end stuff I've seen here. So the Countax and Westwood are from the same manufacturer? I was really impressed with the Westwood after doing some research on them about 2 years ago. But at that time, they were not available in North America at all, not even in Canada.

/ New garden tractor coming today! #20  
They use springs to help offset the weight of the deck, and a long lever for the collector. I think I'd much rather have electric lift though.
It'd cost 4500 to get a 20/50 with the electric kit and collector etc (with discount), which is the only reason I dont have one :D