New gas cap for PT-425

/ New gas cap for PT-425 #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
I'm in need of a new gas cap and wondered if anyone has replaced their gas cap with something better than the original design. Over the years, I've owned 3 different 425's and they all leaked gas from the cap. I understand one can run the tank half empty to address this problem (or, half full if you're an optimist). It's not really a big problem but since I need to replace the cap anyway, maybe someone has found a better cap?

/ New gas cap for PT-425 #2  
The original cap's gasket on mine disintegrated after about a year, maybe we have a different gas formula. Anyway I just found one that fit from an old assortment of 60-70s car gas caps.

Just be aware that the tank is vented through the cap, and if you make it airtight it will stop running and maybe colapse the tank inward.

/ New gas cap for PT-425 #3  
Sorry I can't help you.

And yes, I only put 4 gallons in my 5 gallon tank for that very same reason. But, that give me almost exactly 4 hours of full throttle run time, so it's time for a break anyway. (making lemonade out of lemons).

If I had the ability and resources, I'd bend up and weld up a metal tank to the exact dimensions of my plastic tank and install that. I'd also install a motorcycle-type reserve selector valve on the bottom of the tank. There's been more than a few times I've run it out of gas in the back 40 and had to walk for the gas can. That would give me a quart or so to get back to the house or trailer without walking.

/ New gas cap for PT-425 #4  
Any vented cap that fits should be fine. I've had no leakage w the original cap since I replaced the cork-like gasket w a gas tolerant sealant. I have the plastic tank.

Last edited:
   / New gas cap for PT-425 #5  
Which tank do you have? My 425 came with a welded aluminum tank with a non-vented cap. I know there are others out there that came with plastic tanks, and it sounds like those have vented tanks.

Seems like one could use a safety cell from a race car or ATV setup...trick is finding one that fits in the limited space!

/ New gas cap for PT-425
Which tank do you have? My 425 came with a welded aluminum tank with a non-vented cap. I know there are others out there that came with plastic tanks, and it sounds like those have vented tanks.

Seems like one could use a safety cell from a race car or ATV setup...trick is finding one that fits in the limited space!
I have the plastic tank...

/ New gas cap for PT-425 #7  
I'm looking at replacing the gasket on top of my plastic tank. What have people used with good results?

/ New gas cap for PT-425 #8  
I'm looking at replacing the gasket on top of my plastic tank. What have people used with good results?
I used Hondabond instead of a gasket between the tank & filler neck about 15 years ago. It still doesn't leak. I also made a cap gasket out off the thick, stiff green fiber gasket material. It didn't leak as much as the original cracked cap gasket. I eventually had Terry send me a new upgraded Gates cap. It's chromed!

/ New gas cap for PT-425 #9  
Never heard of it ( and I own a Honda), but reviews are good. Thanks!

/ New gas cap for PT-425 #10  
Never heard of it ( and I own a Honda), but reviews are good. Thanks!
I think it's actually a German product sold as Hondabond, Yamahabond, Suzukibond, etc. You get the idea.