New GC1710 With Hydraulic Leak

/ New GC1710 With Hydraulic Leak #1  

skyhue

Tractor
Massey GC1710
First off, I would like to say that I have read the TBN forums extensively for the past several weeks and very much appreciate the in-depth and candid information shared. Based mostly on my TBN research, I decided to purchase a Massey GC1710 because it seemed to be the better choice when I compared issues SCUT owners had experienced across the major brands and because the dealer treated me well and had all of the right answers.

So ...... last Thursday, February 18th, I purchased a shiny, new GC1710, which was delivered on Friday. After putting about 1 hour on the tractor moving some small landscape rocks with the FEL, I noticed hydraulic fluid dripping off of one of the hoses that attaches to the backhoe. The drip rate was steady with the engine running and covered a 12" spot on my concrete driveway in a minute or less. The hose was encased in some plastic armor and was routed up under fuel tank. Incidentally, I had not operated the backhoe at all.

My new tractor is now in the dealer's shop. Hopefully it will be a simple fix. I will provide a follow-up post to let the board know if the problem was a hose or if the Massey QC on my tractor was lacking.

Also, the hydraulic hoses are Manuli brand.

/ New GC1710 With Hydraulic Leak #2  
I think quite a few of us have had to replace a few of the OEM hydraulic hoses. The ones on my 2310 were of far less quality than the hydraulic shop replacements I had made up locally.

So far I've lost two, one easy short one on the FEL, and one PIA really long one that went back to the BH mount. Irritating, but not serious. Glad you caught yours while still under warranty!

/ New GC1710 With Hydraulic Leak #3  
Skyhue, welcome to tbn as a Massey owner. Its too bad it isn't a little happier start.

When the unit was delivered, did they train you on operations? I ask because I was wondering if there was any indication of leakage where you were getting trained?

Just wondering because it was back by the back hoe which is a spot where it could get hooked or pulled coming off a trailer or near the rocks you were working on.

It would be nice for you to know if it was a manufacturing defect in the hose construction . . or if it happened by accident.

/ New GC1710 With Hydraulic Leak
AxleHub, thanks for the welcome and response. Actually no training was offered on the new tractor, but I have been operating tractors on and off for 50+ years. I had also watched the youtube videos on the GC series. I'm confident that the tractor wasn't leaking when delivered because the leaks would have been noticed when it was driven across and parked on the driveway. Also, I'm sure that I did not snag the hose.

I spoke with the shop today and was told that the leak was due to an over torqued connection. The shop replaced the hose and associated fittings. Should be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have no further problems for a while.

/ New GC1710 With Hydraulic Leak #5  
AxleHub, thanks for the welcome and response. Actually no training was offered on the new tractor, but I have been operating tractors on and off for 50+ years. I had also watched the youtube videos on the GC series. I'm confident that the tractor wasn't leaking when delivered because the leaks would have been noticed when it was driven across and parked on the driveway. Also, I'm sure that I did not snag the hose.

I spoke with the shop today and was told that the leak was due to an over torqued connection. The shop replaced the hose and associated fittings. Should be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have no further problems for a while.

Reminds me when we built a new house and the carpets wete lsid and we brought our dog for one of our 1st nights there. New light carpet in bedroom and she threw up on the new carpet. Not a fun way tp chridten the "newness" . . . but it got better :)

When they re-deliver . . if you don't know how, Ask the person delivering to show you how to:

1. Put the fel into "float" mode

2. How to detach . . . and then reattach the fel to the tractor.

Each of these actions benefits from seeing it at least once.

If delivery person can't do it . . have someone at the dealership show you. Its not some long drawn out thing to learn but much easier to see in person than to guess or watch on you tube :)

Brighter days coming for you and the Massey :)