New Generator Welder on the way

/ New Generator Welder on the way #1  

Jrasband

Gold Member
Tractor
2022 Kubota M7060, 2014 LS XR3032, 1987 Case IH 585 4wd, BCS 853 w/ 26" tires
I have been looking for a generator to power my inverter welder because I have no grid power. So I was hoping to find a generator to power my welder and charge my batteries. After lots of time looking at generators I went in a different direction and ended up settling on a generator welder that will also be used to charge my batteries. I looked at every generator welder I could find in the 150-200 amp range and this is what I ended up ordering. It looks like a pretty hip machine and I am stoked to try it out. I would have bought the Vulcan outlaw 195 from Harbor Freight but they are unavailable. I am glad I was forced to keep looking as I think this is a better machine.

/ New Generator Welder on the way #2  
I agree that waiting was a good thing. You should find that the esab should be much more serviceable in the future therefore extending its service life way past the other choice.👍

/ New Generator Welder on the way #4  
Can you post the sound level at load?

More and more genset sound is an issue… at least in places I work.

/ New Generator Welder on the way #5  
I have been looking for a generator to power my inverter welder because I have no grid power. So I was hoping to find a generator to power my welder and charge my batteries. After lots of time looking at generators I went in a different direction and ended up settling on a generator welder that will also be used to charge my batteries. I looked at every generator welder I could find in the 150-200 amp range and this is what I ended up ordering. It looks like a pretty hip machine and I am stoked to try it out. I would have bought the Vulcan outlaw 195 from Harbor Freight but they are unavailable. I am glad I was forced to keep looking as I think this is a better machine.

I'm off grid as well. We use a Honda 2200 inverter generator that's converted to propane for battery charging. I'd be interested to read what kind of fuel economy you get with that machine when battery charging once you've used it for a bit.

/ New Generator Welder on the way
I'm off grid as well. We use a Honda 2200 inverter generator that's converted to propane for battery charging. I'd be interested to read what kind of fuel economy you get with that machine when battery charging once you've used it for a bit.
I will let you know. How many batteries are you charging with that generator and how long does it take?

I was wanting a inverter charger to be both for charging and welding but ended up going with a generator welder instead for now. I am worried about the long term affects of using a non-inverter generator for charging due to high THD.

/ New Generator Welder on the way #7  
I will let you know. How many batteries are you charging with that generator and how long does it take?

I was wanting a inverter charger to be both for charging and welding but ended up going with a generator welder instead for now. I am worried about the long term affects of using a non-inverter generator for charging due to high THD.
Depends, of course, on how low the batteries are. Most of the year we don't need to use the generator for charging as the solar panels keep up fine. This time of year though, until some time in April, generally, we'll have to run the generator for an hour to maybe 4 hours every couple days or so. I have 8 Trojan 415 AH lead acid batteries. The Honda is extremely fuel efficient. Uses roughly a gallon of fuel for 7-8 hours of run time.

/ New Generator Welder on the way #8  
Good call on your THD concern - from the manual (section 6.8)

"Do not connect the voltage sensitive items such as TVs, DVD players, microwaves, etc
without a power line conditioner (not included)."

I have a small yamaha powered inverter genny from Costco that just sips gas instead of gulping, works great for things that don't need the 8kw - it's a LOT quieter for charging batteries too. Much handier for occasional short-term outages, runs important things (like the coffee maker :geek: ) ... Steve

Last edited: