New Holland 269 Baler making misshaped bales

/ New Holland 269 Baler making misshaped bales #1  

r8f1k

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall 100, Allis Chalmers D14, International Super MTA, IH 560, Mahindra 4510, Gehl 4500, Clark CY45, JD 800, JD 60
Bought a well used NH269 baler, knots great, but the bales are not the best shape. I had an old IH 47 that would make nice shaped bales. Any thoughts on simple tune up items?

/ New Holland 269 Baler making misshaped bales #2  
How long has the baler been sitting? Have you run enough hay thru it to polish the chute? Have you looked to see if the fingers that shove the hay into the chamber are bent?

/ New Holland 269 Baler making misshaped bales #3  
More questions? As the bale exits the chamber, does it curve left or right or up or down?

/ New Holland 269 Baler making misshaped bales
I've probably put 300 bales in this spring. I think it sat for a couple years, but was inside. I'll check the fingers. The bales seem to come to a point on the ends rather than being squared off. They seem to curve down.

/ New Holland 269 Baler making misshaped bales #5  
I gave up trying to get good bales out of old balers and invested in an inline baler, never looking back as this thing is freaking awesome!

/ New Holland 269 Baler making misshaped bales #6  
They're not hanging off the end of the chute and getting "bent" as they exit the baler due to being a little loose are they?

Come to a point on the end??

Are the knives good and sharp? Adjusted right with pretty close tolerance?

Haydogs all good?

Baler manuals have pretty good troubleshooting tips for problems like this. Might take a look at a NH manual.

Good luck. Nothing worse than trying to stack odd-shaped bales.

/ New Holland 269 Baler making misshaped bales
I have noticed that the knives are a little dull. I am going to dress them a little before the next round of baling. Dogs are good, but I have a plunger bearing that is pretty bad. I am going to have to address that ASAP.