New Holland 3930 Won't even crank

/ New Holland 3930 Won't even crank #1  

Semper Paratus

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland 3930
Well yesterday's effort with the 3930 was clipping several hundred feet of right of way and the 50' wide loop road around the house sight (something like 700' in diameter. All told about 3 hours of clipping with no problems. I shut it down to install an ammo can tool box and then went to restart and nothing. No click no grunt no nothing. No drilling occurred on the tractor to install the box. I went through the litany of verifying the shuttle selector, range and gear selectors were in neutral. The PTO selector was in the off position and the clutch depressed nothing I was sitting in the seat... I added the jump box still nothing. The heat was getting to me so we hooked a chain onto it and dragged it back into the fenced enclosure and chained it up. The PTO safety switch looks easy and is fairly open and accessible. The shuttle and shift lever safeties not so much. On the old 5000 and 7610 the shift lever safety wires came right out of the shift lever cover and you could disconnect and run a VOM to check switch activation. Where are they on the 3930? Did I miss may of the safeties? Any thought on directed trouble shooting?

/ New Holland 3930 Won't even crank #2  
Check your battery terminals first, as they are the most common cause for that type of problem.

/ New Holland 3930 Won't even crank #3  
You've got a short to ground {shorted fuse} somewhere in your elec. system.

It's what we get with all the safety swithches on our machines, protecting us from spinning/moving parts.

My LS has been found to have loosened several body/cab mount bolts.
Resulting in a pinched main wiring harness and lots of aforementioned shorts through the firewall.

All my body mount/frame mount bolts are all bolted and marked on the bolt heads across to the frame for easy inspection.
What a nightmare that was?

Another time a wire from the "cruise control" had made contact with the exhaust manifold.
Melted the coax and shorted a fuse {Repeatedly, I might add}. :mur:

Happy hunting!!

/ New Holland 3930 Won't even crank #4  
Well yesterday's effort with the 3930 was clipping several hundred feet of right of way and the 50' wide loop road around the house sight (something like 700' in diameter. All told about 3 hours of clipping with no problems. I shut it down to install an ammo can tool box and then went to restart and nothing. No click no grunt no nothing. No drilling occurred on the tractor to install the box. I went through the litany of verifying the shuttle selector, range and gear selectors were in neutral. The PTO selector was in the off position and the clutch depressed nothing I was sitting in the seat... I added the jump box still nothing. The heat was getting to me so we hooked a chain onto it and dragged it back into the fenced enclosure and chained it up. The PTO safety switch looks easy and is fairly open and accessible. The shuttle and shift lever safeties not so much. On the old 5000 and 7610 the shift lever safety wires came right out of the shift lever cover and you could disconnect and run a VOM to check switch activation. Where are they on the 3930? Did I miss may of the safeties? Any thought on directed trouble shooting?
Check all the safety switches for open circuit, check battery terminals and cable ends for corrosion, make sure the chasis ground is clean and tight. To make sure your starter is good jump from battery to starter motor lug (MAKE SURE THAT THE TRACTOR IS NOT IN GEAR!). If that spins the engine starter is good. Next jump from battery to solenoid lead from ignition (MAKE SURE THAT THE TRACTOR IS NOT IN GEAR!). If it turns over the solenoid and the starter are good. Only think left is the wire to the solenoid assuming all the other stuff checked out

/ New Holland 3930 Won't even crank
Well guys back to the 3930 today. Still locked up where I left it. I started the evolution with an inspection of the battery terminal both ok. Cables looked good also. Looked for dangling wires...none so I tried for a restart...no luck. I kept the switch in the crank position and played with the range selector...still no luck.
At that point I went after the PTO interlock. I knew where it was, I could see it and it was easy to get at.I pulled it off the tractor,mashed the button and nothing. I pulled the boot hooked up a jumper across both leads and what do you know....it started. I exercised the switch a few more times and hooked the volt/ohm meter up. Button up high resistance (full range on 100 KOhm) button down 0 ohms. I noticed all 4 prongs were bent so I straightened them up, put the boot and plug back to together and retried... It still worked. Set it up in place, adjusted the position and tightened it down reinstalled, restarted and went off to cut some more grass. Back in business with all the safeties working. My wife of over 36 years was a big help fetching and toting and turning the key as I was trial fitting.