New Holland 450 Rollbelt Problems

/ New Holland 450 Rollbelt Problems #1  

Ridersupfarm

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 7060
We purchased a NH Rollbelt 450 4x5 baler last June and have had nothing but problems and breakdowns. The dealer has been great, sending their top mechanic two times to our farm to assist. While he was able to get the baler working it would break down again shortly after he left. We are a small hay producing operation that rolls horse hay for our commercial boarding operation, about 200 rolls / year. The unreliability of this unit is affecting our business and, frankly, we don't have the time to be a beta tester for New Holland. We have requested a NH customer service rep call us to discuss options but after several weeks have gone by, silence from NH. Has anyone else had this experience with a 450 baler and NH's lack of customer service?

/ New Holland 450 Rollbelt Problems #2  
My 450 Roll Belt was so bad, I sold it after 1 year, bought a large square baler and never looked back. Didn’t even have 2,000 bales through it.
Lost an electric actuator, and had 2 bearing fires.
Belts never tracked correctly, always rubbing on side sheet.

/ New Holland 450 Rollbelt Problems
My 450 Roll Belt was so bad, I sold it after 1 year, bought a large square baler and never looked back. Didn’t even have 2,000 bales through it.
Lost an electric actuator, and had 2 bearing fires.
Belts never tracked correctly, always rubbing on side sheet.
Thanks. I'm convinced this unit will not do the job for us. Appreciate insight to your experience.

/ New Holland 450 Rollbelt Problems #4  
Nephews 4 x 6 version just finished 3rd season at about 1,000 bales per season with no significant breakdowns. I bought a used BR7090 4x5 this year, had 17,000 bales on the monitor. Failed a bearing on upper roller first day but after that baled about 1,000. Found things like needing to keep the duckbill mechanism free of chaff in dry conditions or wrap will fail. Other than that, more reliable than cousins JD. He has JD for ease of lifting net wrap roll into back.

Not familiar with the equipment you reference. How does this relate to the 450 problems I posted?

/ New Holland 450 Rollbelt Problems #6  
The BR’s were pretty solid. I put about 15,000 bales through a BR. The RB had nicer features, but man we had constant, never ending problems.

Which RB model did you deal with. Mine is the Utility 450 designed for the smaller producer such as myself. I just learned they discontinued that model in January of 2023 even though they sold me one in June of 2023 full well knowing the problems. How did you deal with it?

/ New Holland 450 Rollbelt Problems #8  
I also had issues with mine and subsequently traded it in for a Kubota 4x5 round bailer. I had constant tracking issues as well and the bailer was a royal PITA to thread net wrap in. My belts would ride the side sheets no matter how I adjusted the tracking, they would always ride to one side or the other and I also had a bearing failure on one of the rolls. The other thing I wasn't keen on was the filling screen on the digital in cab display. Was always wonky. The one thing that really irritated me was the net threading. You had to thread the net in the 'center' of the duckbill assembly and deal with the cutter knife cutting you plus it was always hard to get the net tail centered and the 'stickout' on the net was also touchy. None of that pertains to my new Kubota BV round bailer. Threading the net is easy via a side window, real quick and easy and the Kubota round bailer can carry 4 rolls of net as well as 8 balls of twine and threading twine is easy as well and the Kubota BV round bailer comes standard with a wide pickup so no 'gathering wheels' required. Much better thought out bailer.

One thing I never cared for on the NH bailer was you had to carry the extra net in the back of the bailer in the 'optional, at additional cost net storage container.

Long gone and glad of it. New Holland produces some very good hay tools but in the case of that bailer, they missed the boat in my opinion.

For me, large squares don't work as my customer is geared for rounds only and so am I. Besides, I got 0 percent from Kubota on the new round bailer and a very good trade in as well. My philosophy is, let the new owner deal with it's issues.

Thanks, very helpful info. The regional NH rep was implying I could upgrade to the machine you dumped. I have the utility 450 which, as advertised, was more than enough machine for us. Unfortunately, it doesn't work and it appears the upgraded model isn't the answer either. No wonder they discontinued the utility model.

/ New Holland 450 Rollbelt Problems #10  
I looked at a new 450 utility....sounds like piece of junk to avoid. For 200 bales a year it shouldn't break at all. I've made that many bales without a breakdown on a 30 + year old baler.

I'd buy Kubota if I was buying new.

I can buy an older NH 600 series for under 10K, put all new belts, chains and bearings on it and still be a fraction of the cost of a new one...and not have breakdowns for 200 bales.