Mowing New Holland 469 haybine reel not turning very fast

/ New Holland 469 haybine reel not turning very fast #1  

gemzacons

Tractor
John Deere 3010, 4010, 5075e
I'm mowing hay that doesn't seem thick enough to stop the reel spinning. I have to run all the way down to first gear and its still not feeding. I'm wondering if the belt that spins the reel is too loose or stretched out? Grass is not wet and I'm not going very fast. It's cutting alright just not turning the reel fast enough. Any ideas??

/ New Holland 469 haybine reel not turning very fast #2  
If I remember correctly and referring to Messick's parts diagram, the speed of the reel is controlled by the smaller "drive" pulley and the speed can be increased by removing shims in the pulley. This effectively increases the diameter of the pulley and tightens the belt. The parts diagram shows an idler pulley on some models with an adjustable spring that would also help tighten the belt. Unless your belt is extremely glazed, I think removing some shims will solve the problem. Hope this helps.

/ New Holland 469 haybine reel not turning very fast
Thanks halftrack. I found that also. While it is an option, the problem is the speed changes like the belt is slipping. It will spin fine sometimes and then almost stop completely. The thickness of the hay I'm cutting doesn't seem to correlate either. Sometimes it slips in the thick stuff, but a few times it has done it in thin spots

/ New Holland 469 haybine reel not turning very fast #4  
The belt is supposed to slip if you get a heavy slug through the machine or what I was accustomed to was dirt from a groundhog hole making it plug. I would consider a new belt or trying some belt dressing to see if it makes a difference. I'm guessing your belt has slipped enough to have some wore spots and that's why it slips in light hay. If that belt is prohibitively expensive, try removing the shims from between the "drive' pulley sheaves to speed it up. Another option would be to roughen up the drive pulley with a grinder or some welding strikes.