New Holland PowerStar vs. T5

/ New Holland PowerStar vs. T5 #1  

Indian Territory

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland PowerStar 75
We are considering moving up from our new-ish New Holland PowerStar 75 (so a T4) to a ~120hp machine. Does anyone have any experience with the T4s vs. the T5s? For a given hp rating, is one more reliable than the other? Are either worth owning?

/ New Holland PowerStar vs. T5 #2  
I have a 2023 Powerstar120 (Also have a 2023 PS75).. Really, I have a use for both.

I'm very impressed with the PS120. I traded up from a 10 year old Case 95c 100hp. Much better tractor, better refinements and features.

Looked at a T5, but for what I do, I just couldn't justify the extra money. It'd be nice to have all the bells and whistles, but I just can't spring for that much more $$ and justify it. I sure wouldn't consider a Workmaster120 though.

Messick's did a pretty comprehensive video on the T5 series.

/ New Holland PowerStar vs. T5
Cool. Thanks.

Is there much difference between your PS 75 and 120? I know they differ by more than just hp. Their 3PH capacities are also different. The 120 also looks to have an electro hydraulically activated PTO and a higher base weight. Anything else?

Seems like there are really two separate lines that get called T5. There's the bigger 4-posters with fancier transmissions (Dynamic and Auto Command), then the smaller 6-posters with more basic transmissions (Dual and Electro Command).

I would have thought the only thing that should change within a given T line would be the transmissions, but the cabs and frames seem to actually change size too. Why not just call them different names?

The fancier T5s look more similar to a T6 at first glance. The T5 we are considering is the smaller more basic Electro Command, which seems to have more in common with a PowerStar, with the notable exception that it has more electro hydraulic activation than the PSs and less mechanical cable linkage between the levers/pedals and the business end of things under the hood.

Last edited:
   / New Holland PowerStar vs. T5 #4  
While the PS75 and 120 are very similar in appearance and operation, the 75 is about 10% smaller in frame and weight than the higher HP Powerstar line. All the rest share the same frame, hydraulics, etc. The 75 does have the same basic engine though... the time tested Fiat 3.4L. It's a good engine you can expect lots and lots of hours out of.

Yes, I like the electric PTO switch better than the lever PTO on the 75. Both are okay though.

Being as I don't do row farming, or much that is requiring that complex transmission, I didn't consider for very long, anyway, the more expensive versions. I do pasture cutting with batwing mowers, hay, plowing and using a ridged harrow, etc. So the more complex transmissions really bleed off for a payoff in the kind of work I do.

I shopped may brands and models before I got what I did. (The similar Kubota was more expensive, and very much less sophisticated. The Deere 5115M was a nice tractor, and I really liked it, but not $26k worth over what I paid for the PS120. The same held true for the T5's.)

Everyone has different uses for tractors. T5's may fit you to a T, but they can be quite a bit more money too.

/ New Holland PowerStar vs. T5 #5  
We are considering moving up from our new-ish New Holland PowerStar 75 (so a T4) to a ~120hp machine. Does anyone have any experience with the T4s vs. the T5s? For a given hp rating, is one more reliable than the other? Are either worth owning?
Good God, another oil related thread. I use T6 (not T5) in everything (15-40 in the air cooled engines and T6 in the water cooled engines and always have other than the cars which get T6- 5/40).

I buy it in 55 gallon drums from my jobber (T6-15-40), cheaper that way and the used oil goes in an empty drum which they pick up and dispose of at no cost to me.

/ New Holland PowerStar vs. T5 #6  
Good God, another oil related thread. I use T6 (not T5) in everything (15-40 in the air cooled engines and T6 in the water cooled engines and always have other than the cars which get T6- 5/40).

I buy it in 55 gallon drums from my jobber (T6-15-40), cheaper that way and the used oil goes in an empty drum which they pick up and dispose of at no cost to me.

LOL!

Yeah buddy!... Another oil related thread... :ROFLMAO:

Here ya go. Might get a glimmer as to what is being discussed here. Farming Tractors & Telehandlers | New Holland

While the PS75 and 120 are very similar in appearance and operation, the 75 is about 10% smaller in frame and weight than the higher HP Powerstar line. All the rest share the same frame, hydraulics, etc. The 75 does have the same basic engine though... the time tested Fiat 3.4L. It's a good engine you can expect lots and lots of hours out of.

Yes, I like the electric PTO switch better than the lever PTO on the 75. Both are okay though.

Being as I don't do row farming, or much that is requiring that complex transmission, I didn't consider for very long, anyway, the more expensive versions. I do pasture cutting with batwing mowers, hay, plowing and using a ridged harrow, etc. So the more complex transmissions really bleed off for a payoff in the kind of work I do.

I shopped may brands and models before I got what I did. (The similar Kubota was more expensive, and very much less sophisticated. The Deere 5115M was a nice tractor, and I really liked it, but not $26k worth over what I paid for the PS120. The same held true for the T5's.)

Everyone has different uses for tractors. T5's may fit you to a T, but they can be quite a bit more money too.

Mind if I ask what you paid for the 120?

/ New Holland PowerStar vs. T5 #8  
Mind if I ask what you paid for the 120?
That's kinda hard to answer, accurately.

I took the cash back option and got some other incentives, and traded in a Case 95c on the PS120.

If I'd just paid cash with no trade it would have been like $72-ish.

Woah! That's a good deal. What area are you in?

/ New Holland PowerStar vs. T5 #10  
LOL!

Yeah buddy!... Another oil related thread... :ROFLMAO:

Here ya go. Might get a glimmer as to what is being discussed here. Farming Tractors & Telehandlers | New Holland
Only thing I buy from NH is my net and that will end soon as my Kubota dealer will be carrying Bridon which is made in America. Don't do HN tractors at all, Don't care for the EU look. I'll stick with Kubota, thank you.. Far as oil goes, I'll stick with T5 and 6. I have 4000 and 6,000 hours on my Kubota's and never a lubrication issue. Far as gearboxes go, Chevron THC All weather synthetic.