New Holland Procart 1225 Plus wheel rake-pics

/ New Holland Procart 1225 Plus wheel rake-pics #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Just got delivered late this afternoon.
Here’s some pics

1685150714214.jpeg

1685150679911.jpeg

1685150752871.jpeg

Last edited:
   / New Holland Procart 1225 Plus wheel rake-pics #2  
Very interested in your review of it as you progress through the season

/ New Holland Procart 1225 Plus wheel rake-pics
I hope to get use of it in a few days. (y)

/ New Holland Procart 1225 Plus wheel rake-pics #4  
Good luck with your rake. We tried the wheel rakes for haylage and they didn't work well for use.
We have so many rocks that some are always loose on top of the ground when chopping you could hear numerous stone getting hit by the knives. Different ground and baling may not be an issue, lots of wheel rakes in use we just prefer the old roller bar rakes.

/ New Holland Procart 1225 Plus wheel rake-pics #5  
that is sweet! congrats!

Used it today for first time. It does a very clean job. Didn’t take long to get used to. Seems like I am going to like it, but too early to tell. Not having a PTO is nice.

Here’s a few pics of the rake in action. It is amazing how each wheel independently floats over bumps. Also, the tandem axles walk very nicely over bumps since the tires are larger diameter than single rotary rake we were using. Picks up (2) 10’ windrows very nicely. If you want to extend the arms wider, you can, hydraulically from the cab and it’ll grab even more hay.
2 windrows is perfect for me if we don’t have to tedder.

1685750690196.jpeg

1685750722729.jpeg

The rake folds up very narrow and secure, just a little wider than the tractor. Goes down the road great.
We are happy with it (so far), but too early to tell.

/ New Holland Procart 1225 Plus wheel rake-pics #8  
Wheel rakes have advanced with technology a lot in the last 25 yrs. When you move hyd lever to rake a wider width does that change windrow width?

Wheel rakes have advanced with technology a lot in the last 25 yrs. When you move hyd lever to rake a wider width does that change windrow width?

Theres a 2-function electric/hydraulic box that mounts in the cab.
1st function widens/narrows the rake ”angulation”.
2nd function increases/decreases width. “width”

This way you can customize the width of the windrow from 2-3 feet to 8-9 feet.

I will see if I can grab a picture of the box next time I’m in tractor.

Thought I’d give a update on the wheel rake after making 600 large squares (500+ tons) of hay.

Ease of use: VERY easy to transport, unfold, fold, angle, extend, etc. In the field it tracks real nice. Not much to worry about except driving the tractor and that’s the way it should be. Adjustments can be made on the fly. All the rake wheels are adjustable with a simple wrench if you want to change down-pressure. Hooking up and unhooking much easier without the PTO shaft. Also no rake guards to field down/up. I’d give the rotary rake the nod in smaller fields, especially a single Rotary. This rake shines in bigger fields where you need to cover a lot of ground. You can lock one of the rake arms up and rake with one side if you want to flip your raked rows to aid drying.

Raking quality: Doesn’t clean up as good as a rotary, period. But it’s still acceptable Rake quality. When you turn, the wheels on the inside of the rake “drag” the hay along until you straighten out. This results in some hay being left behind. We are getting more skilled at the nuances of the rake. I have found it’s better to rake the fields headlands, then bale the headlands clean. Then rake & bale the main middle part of the field. Makes raking go extremely fas with little effort. The faster you rake, the better it seems to clean up. Has some issues with hay that’s been laying a while and new grass has grown. I have wheels set extremely light, so I may add some “down pressure” to help with this.

Roadability: Folds down lower than tractor cab. Width is maybe 9’, which is less than my tractor width with the mirrors. Has lights & turn signals. Tracks perfectly straight.

Value: At 1/2 the price of a rotary. Admittedly, this is what sold me. I was faced with a $30,000 Kubota or $33,000 Claas double rotary rake. At $16,900, this rake felt like a steal. For the $16,000 in savings, I can afford to leave 1% more hay on the field. Money is tight and financing rates are awful, especially on used equipment. That amount of hay left in the field may be reduced as we learn the rake better, too. Another thing worth noting is you are not using the tractor’s PTO, which saves wear on the tractor and lowers fuel consumption.

Overall: I would suggest this rake for fields greater than 5 acres. It works best in medium to large fields or if you need a rake on a budget. It’s easy to use cheap to buy and easy to own & maintain. It rakes a LOT of hay very fast, so it’s ideal for making a lot of round bales or large square bales.