New Home Build. Plan Review.

/ New Home Build. Plan Review. #1  

MGH PA

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
Not sure I'm ready to turn this into a full build thread at this point, but would like feedback on our plans.

I'll give a little (short) background. My wife and I are planning to build on ~150 acres about 2 miles from where we live now. The property borders the eastern line of my parents property, and there will be an easement crossing their property to access this location as it's a much flatter and open access route than coming off the existing road to the farmhouse that's on the property now (we're keeping that and it's rented out).

Most of the contractor's we've spoken to are in agreement to allow us to finish what we want and sub out what we want (mainly our cabinetry, trim, and HVAC, and excavation). We're also planning on doing the stone veneer ourselves, finish the entire "guest room, office, bathroom, etc." We had a local draftsman who draws plans for most builders in the area (he's a retired builder) do the design over the past few months, and based on what our needs, I think we have something we really can work with (with some minor modifications).

We're a family of 3 (soon to be 4), and we have friends that visit occasionally (1-3 hours away) so the guest bedroom will be utilized for that as well as a possible master suite if we age in place (which is why it's laid out the way it is).

Ideally, we wanted to keep the square footage below 3,000, but really couldn't do it without sacrificing a lot of the structural aesthetics, so we're going to just have to hope to save some costs with the DIY aspect, as well as cutting costs with some of the finishes.

The site will have a full E-W exposure at 1,000 feet of elevation. We designed the back of the house to take advantage of the views and the sunlight (hence the sizable windows in the family room).

ICF foundation (9'), 9' first floor (14' vaulted in family room), 8' second floor. 2x6 walls with NuWool and possibly 2" foam on the exterior sheathing.

Here are the final construction drawings (electrical is still subject to change).

c1YmPDr.jpg

ZVTzgUd.jpg

NxlpbiN.jpg

9q0KhJt.jpg

Any questions or thoughts, feel free to fire away!

Last edited:
   / New Home Build. Plan Review. #2  
Very impressive. It's got a lot of the features I would have recommended, especially the second floor laundry and the first floor bedroom for future one floor living. The only thing I say about the house is to make sure the first floor space is set up to allow for a laundry area also. I have laundry rooms on both 1st and 2nd floors and it works pretty well.

Not sure how the land is laid out but is it possible just to buy some of the land instead of having an easement? Simplifies things for the future unknowns.

/ New Home Build. Plan Review. #3  
Lordy - that is a BIG house. I've been retired 35 years now - retired at age of 40. A couple things I've noticed now that I'm 76. The four steps up to the porch and into the house get a little more difficult each year. A tri-level house isn't going to be that much fun when you get to my age. Recognizing that I have NO infirmities that limit my mobility. Also - my house is single level, ranch style, 1400 sq ft and I spend a lot more time than I like keeping the 1400 feet clean. I DO live way out in the country - nearest neighbor is 4+ miles distant - and do have dust and volcanic ash to contend with. I guess if I shut the windows and doors more often in the summer it wouldn't be quite the problem.

Anyhow - that is still a really big house and I'm just glad I don't have to maintain and clean something that size.

/ New Home Build. Plan Review.
I should add the basement will be unfinished (aside from drywall install on ICF interior), and we're hoping to do Geothermal with the 30% credits back in place this year.

I agree on size. It was a major sticking point for me, but in reality, it is what it is. We're not showy people, and I don't want to come off as that at all. In fact, we've been trying to find ways to effectively cut square footage off without changing too much in terms of the structural/engineering aspect.

We live in a 2100 sq.ft home now and do just fine minus the complete lack of closet space, storage, and extremely small bathrooms.

Lordy - that is a BIG house. I've been retired 35 years now - retired at age of 40. A couple things I've noticed now that I'm 76. The four steps up to the porch and into the house get a little more difficult each year. A tri-level house isn't going to be that much fun when you get to my age. Recognizing that I have NO infirmities that limit my mobility. Also - my house is single level, ranch style, 1400 sq ft and I spend a lot more time than I like keeping the 1400 feet clean. I DO live way out in the country - nearest neighbor is 4+ miles distant - and do have dust and volcanic ash to contend with. I guess if I shut the windows and doors more often in the summer it wouldn't be quite the problem.

Anyhow - that is still a really big house and I'm just glad I don't have to maintain and clean something that size.

Hats of to you for retiring at 40. That's impressive. We invest heavily (401k, TSA, Pension, 529, IRA, and Roth), and minus my little truck payment which is done in 8 months, and our current mortgage, we don't carry any debt. When we send this out to bid, if they come back in our uncomfortable range, we just won't do it. I don't want this house effecting our financial stability in any way shape or form.

/ New Home Build. Plan Review. #6  
Here are some points to ponder and things I would change....

If that’s a real office where you need work to actually get done or have clients I would not have it next to the play room. Additionally having to walk through the playroom to get to the office could be problematic and the kids will be going through the office to hit the closest bathroom. (Provided they are done pooping in their pants.)

Having a door on the playroom is good, closing off the mess to the rest of the house is also good in theory. (Kids have a way of messing the whole house) If there is a stay at home parent with a home office who does not need the phone or client access and wants to keep an eye on the little curtain climbers, it may be a good setup. Most people today want to be able to watch their kids from the kitchen, which would be very difficult with your layout.

I would move the cubbies you have to above the bench on each side of the window and put a door on the pantry. When you carry the stuff from the garage you can go right into the pantry, not all the way around.

I would also reconsider your outside access to the house. With 120 acres you will be bringing lots of the outside in and access to the main floor looks limited. Are you going to have a dog? Having an easy place to let the dog in and out and a convenient place to wash off the dog can be a HUGE mess saver. My dog has been trained to come in the house and jump in the tub which I have located right next to the door we use the most. Easy Peasy and a great addition for messy children also.

Just some of the things that jump out to me on the first floor....

/ New Home Build. Plan Review. #7  
I would tend to design a house to be more handicapped accessible if possible. More and more people are ending up having a hard time with stairs. Maybe not you, maybe you, but it will help resale either way. Even if you keep the general layout, I'd put the laundry room on the main floor, and do a chute to it from the upper floor.
The roof looks a little complicated, dormers and such. That gives more potential leak points. If you go with asphalt shingles, you'll have to redo that complicated roof at least 3 times by the time you hit your 70s. I would favor standing seam and dumping the dormers.

Here are some points to ponder and things I would change....

If that’s a real office where you need work to actually get done or have clients I would not have it next to the play room. Additionally having to walk through the playroom to get to the office could be problematic and the kids will be going through the office to hit the closest bathroom. (Provided they are done pooping in their pants.)

Having a door on the playroom is good, closing off the mess to the rest of the house is also good in theory. (Kids have a way of messing the whole house) If there is a stay at home parent with a home office who does not need the phone or client access and wants to keep an eye on the little curtain climbers, it may be a good setup. Most people today want to be able to watch their kids from the kitchen, which would be very difficult with your layout.

I would move the cubbies you have to above the bench on each side of the window and put a door on the pantry. When you carry the stuff from the garage you can go right into the pantry, not all the way around.

I would also reconsider your outside access to the house. With 120 acres you will be bringing lots of the outside in and access to the main floor looks limited. Are you going to have a dog? Having an easy place to let the dog in and out and a convenient place to wash off the dog can be a HUGE mess saver. My dog has been trained to come in the house and jump in the tub which I have located right next to the door we use the most. Easy Peasy and a great addition for messy children also.

Just some of the things that jump out to me on the first floor....

Great points. The office is nothing for clients. Just where my computer, filing cabinets, etc. will go. Basically where I do my photo editing, pay bills, and keep all paper work filed away. We both work outside of the home.

The line of sight for the playroom was an issue for us, and we tried multiple times to get the room more in line, but it always required changing the great room structure, and making the roofline even more complex.

The pantry door is funny. My wife actually came up with that idea (although she mentioned using a half door there to slide stuff onto the counters in the pantry. Either way, we plan to add that.

We don't have a dog, but the access for us will be mostly through the walk out basement or the garage into the mudroom. The main entrance will primarily used for visitors. The garage can also be entered from both the front and back side of the house without having to use the garage doors. Is there something else you're hinting at with access?

Thanks for the input!

I would tend to design a house to be more handicapped accessible if possible. More and more people are ending up having a hard time with stairs. Maybe not you, maybe you, but it will help resale either way. Even if you keep the general layout, I'd put the laundry room on the main floor, and do a chute to it from the upper floor.
The roof looks a little complicated, dormers and such. That gives more potential leak points. If you go with asphalt shingles, you'll have to redo that complicated roof at least 3 times by the time you hit your 70s. I would favor standing seam and dumping the dormers.

Good points. I'm planning to change the doors for 2-8's to 3-0's where possible, and 2-6s to 2-8s where possible to help. The guest room/office/bath/playroom can all be converted to a master suite along with laundry someday if necessary. However, we have thought long and hard, and probably won't want to live in a house this size if we get to that point in life, so not sure what to do about that.

/ New Home Build. Plan Review. #10  
I would never, EVER put the master bedroom upstairs.

I would be very very hesitant to build a two story house is I had space to make it all one story.

Play rooms sound like a nice idea, but they really just become a junk room to store stuff in a hurry when you want to clean up the house real fast. Kids are going to play with their toys where you are hanging out. Usually in the TV room. Or they play in their bedrooms.

That little bump out for the guest bedroom, office area is some expensive square footage.

I really like the kitchen/great room/ dining room layout. Nice and open so everyone can be together.

Bathroom remodels are a big part of what I do for a living and I would never have a shower head facing the door. In fact, most of my jobs are showers that do not have a door, or a lip to step over.

Kids bedrooms are really nice. I'm not a huge fan of jack and jill bathrooms, but if they have to share a bathroom, and nobody else has to use it, they work.

Laundry room looks really nice. Good to have it close to the bedrooms and big enough to do everything. Best layouts I've ever seen had a laundry room in the master closet, and anther laundry room for the kids. I'm personally moving my laundry room into my master closet one of these days.

Where is your mechanical room? Where will you have to go to change your AC Filter and add bleach to your drain line?

I'm sure it will be a nice house when you are done with it, but if I was out looking for a house to buy, I would not buy this house because of the Master being upstairs. That alone would kill the deal for me.