New Home Build

/ New Home Build #11  
It will only have a crawl space. I can't have a full basement unfortunately. But the crawl space walls will be insulated poured concrete. The heating will be natural gas forced hot air.

You can still do ICF for the main floor, as your heating and cooling cost are greatly reduced because of the high r value of the walls.

/ New Home Build
Are you trying to keep the cost low? We put up a modular home that was $130/sq.ft. with lots of covered deck space (54'x8' and 28'x16'). It's functional and went up fast. It is "cheaper" quality but I was going to upgrade things when time and money permits.

It works just fine and if you are not "picky" about things being perfect... the price was right for us.
Yes keeping the price low is a goal but not having to go back and update it after it is finished is also a goal. I did look at a modular house. Currently they are not much cheaper than a stick-built house, just quicker to put up if you go with their standard designs. Also I know several people that have 1. for the 1st 2 years the company will come back and fix the joints that crack. After that you are on your own. The joints show no matter how good a job you do and they will always crack over time. This is not a slam on them. They are good for what they are but my climbing up ladders is getting behind me.

/ New Home Build #13  
Where I’m at in E. WA build costs for a ‘custom’ build range from around $250/sf to well over $300/sf. My last rough build cost estimate ( a month ago) came in right around $290/sf

/ New Home Build #14  
It will only have a crawl space. I can't have a full basement unfortunately. But the crawl space walls will be insulated poured concrete. The heating will be natural gas forced hot air.
That's a shame about not being able to have a full basement.

Basements make good shelters.
A basement gives the owner great access to the plumbing and electricals.
An insulated basement with minimal heat - sometimes with no added heat - is usually enough to keep the entire house from freezing. That's something to consider if you like to take winter vacations or live where there are power outages.

rScotty

/ New Home Build #15  
There are a lot of variables,look at insulated concrete forms for the entire home. The difference upfront is slightly more but the payback is there.
he's retiring..he'll never see the payback.

/ New Home Build #16  
My guy told me his costs have doubled since 2020. DOUBLED!!

He's around $125/square ft.

So a 2,000 square foot house is around 250K.

This is just a basic, already stamped drawing. If any custom work, it goes up.

/ New Home Build #17  
Our area easy $225 but the wait list long.

/ New Home Build #18  
I am looking to start building my retirement home. Anyone have an idea what the current cost average is per square foot. I am looking at a single story 3-bedroom 2 bath with attached 2 car garage with an open floor plan. I already own the land.
I found that the dollars/sq. foot for thewhole house didn't give me enough detail.
I broke the estimate down into costs for foundation, framing, floor, doors & windows, roof....you get the idea. That let me spend money where it made more sense for what we wanted.

For example, slight changes to door and window specs made huge changes in the final cost. But slight changes to the framing - like doubling the insulation on the north wall, or adding soundproof board to the wall nearest the road - made almost no change to the cost.

Adding a second story almost doubles the final cost, but changing from a 4 foot perimeter foundation to an 8 foot unfinished dirt floor basement was not much money at all.

Consider asking for more detailed breakdown on the costs. My builder was surprised - and pleased - that I wanted to put some work in. Every detail decision I make ends up making his work easier.

rScotty

/ New Home Build
That's a shame about not being able to have a full basement.

Basements make good shelters.
A basement gives the owner great access to the plumbing and electricals.
An insulated basement with minimal heat - sometimes with no added heat - is usually enough to keep the entire house from freezing. That's something to consider if you like to take winter vacations or live where there are power outages.

rScotty
Thankfully We have never had a tornado or a hurricane hit. Although in 1972 when a hurricane came up the coast and went inland in NY there was a majorr flood but it never made it to the house. Although the property is elevated h
I found that the dollars/sq. foot for thewhole house didn't give me enough detail.
I broke the estimate down into costs for foundation, framing, floor, doors & windows, roof....you get the idea. That let me spend money where it made more sense for what we wanted.

For example, slight changes to door and window specs made huge changes in the final cost. But slight changes to the framing - like doubling the insulation on the north wall, or adding soundproof board to the wall nearest the road - made almost no change to the cost.

Adding a second story almost doubles the final cost, but changing from a 4 foot perimeter foundation to an 8 foot unfinished dirt floor basement was not much money at all.

Consider asking for more detailed breakdown on the costs. My builder was surprised - and pleased - that I wanted to put some work in. Every detail decision I make ends up making his work easier.

rScotty
I am asking for details in their bid. The issue I am finding is the allotments for the foundation, electric, plumbing ect. are all over the place. So I have been breaking what bids I have so far to a price for square foot. What I am having an issue with I don't know construction prices. I have no idea if the foundation should cost me $50k or $75k. HVAC $20k or $50k. The big range is the allotments for kitchen and baths. I do know you can spend a fortune on them.
I have also been given a time frame to complete once started 6 months or less to over 8 months. So I am just trying to figure what the average overall price per square foot currently is. I know I should be looking at current low end about $200 and higher end $250 per square foot. But based off the 3 prices I have received back they have been $225 to over $300 per square foot. I just don't understand how there can be such a range. I have visited a few homes they have already built and they all look great and the current home owners raved about the builders. The only issue I found with the $225 per square foot company is they can't start building until next year and they have the lowest allotment for the kitchen.

/ New Home Build #20  
Thankfully We have never had a tornado or a hurricane hit. Although in 1972 when a hurricane came up the coast and went inland in NY there was a majorr flood but it never made it to the house. Although the property is elevated h

I am asking for details in their bid. The issue I am finding is the allotments for the foundation, electric, plumbing ect. are all over the place. So I have been breaking what bids I have so far to a price for square foot. What I am having an issue with I don't know construction prices. I have no idea if the foundation should cost me $50k or $75k. HVAC $20k or $50k. The big range is the allotments for kitchen and baths. I do know you can spend a fortune on them.
I have also been given a time frame to complete once started 6 months or less to over 8 months. So I am just trying to figure what the average overall price per square foot currently is. I know I should be looking at current low end about $200 and higher end $250 per square foot. But based off the 3 prices I have received back they have been $225 to over $300 per square foot. I just don't understand how there can be such a range. I have visited a few homes they have already built and they all look great and the current home owners raved about the builders. The only issue I found with the $225 per square foot company is they can't start building until next year and they have the lowest allotment for the kitchen.
I can see your frustration, and it seems to be that you don't have a comparison you can trust....don't even know standard pricing for standard levels of construction.

And I'm not as much help as I wish I could be because my situation doesn't translate well. We spent way too much time and took way too long...and had an absolute wonderful time doing it.

Do you have detailed drawings of what you want to build? You didn't say, but that is the first step.
I paid $10K to have detailed architectural drawings of a possible house done and stamped.... and then went over each area of the proposed construction with a spreadsheet and a builder friend making estimates and pricing options. Yes, I paid him thousands for his time and it was worth every penny.
And no, I didn't build that house. I might have, but instead, I used what I learned to draw up what I really wanted.... a large open house that I could grow old in & enjoy.

So I'd say you need to have or find or hire another set of eyes - someone who knows building in your area - and the two of you need to go over the drawings and put numbers to them.

So Let Me Throw it Back to Our Fellow TBNers... and ask them how they got their estimates?

rScotty