New JD Owner :) 1025R

/ New JD Owner :) 1025R #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
Good morning all,

Yesterday I purchased a really decent looking used 1025R. It's way less tractor than I was planning on getting, but it seemed like a price too good for me to pass up. 259 hours 2014 model with 60" belly mower and 4' rotary cutter. I'm planning on getting a little box blade and tiller. This little guy should be good for around the house and in the garden. My wife may want to help me mow now... I may get a bigger one later and sell this or keep it and have 2. They are doing a full service before I take possession, so hopefully they can get it done this week.

1025r.jpg

Maybe this will keep me from getting stuck in the pond quite as much?

stuck in pond 2.jpg

/ New JD Owner :) 1025R #2  
Three things:
1) Congratulations, you'll love it!
2) Do not even attempt to take that tractor on the hill you show you're ZT on, it will roll right into the pond and probably take you along for your last ride.
3) Don't let it go when you get a bigger tractor! I miss my BX so many times, I regret often selling it and am close to getting a small L or B when I see deals pop up.

/ New JD Owner :) 1025R #3  
IMHO the 1025R is a really good little tractor. Plenty of power for its size and the 60D deck makes a BEAUTIFUl cut, much better than any zero turn of any brand that has been used on my place. I do not however use mine to cut grass much since the zero turn can do it faster and I really don't care about the look as long as it is cut. I have even had my 6' flail on and it handled it just fine but I would not want to cut heavy/deep stuff with it. I have used mine on some really steep slopes without any problems, just be sure you have a counter weight if using the loader on one

The thing I use most is the loader, I do not have a tooth bar on mine but have thought about getting one to help with the hard packed clay we have but then again the little feller has done a fine job digging in it so far without one.

/ New JD Owner :) 1025R #5  
Three things:
1) Congratulations, you'll love it!
2) Do not even attempt to take that tractor on the hill you show you're ZT on, it will roll right into the pond and probably take you along for your last ride.
3) Don't let it go when you get a bigger tractor! I miss my BX so many times, I regret often selling it and am close to getting a small L or B when I see deals pop up.

/ New JD Owner :) 1025R
I know about the rolling. Thank you for thinking of my safety. That was just a funny pic to add in for levity. Although, I do get stuck in the pond about every other time I mow... That's the only steep spot that I have even tried on the zero turn. I know better than to try on the tractor. I mostly push mow or weedeat those spots, I was feeling brave.

/ New JD Owner :) 1025R #7  
I bought a new 1025R last month (to replace my now passed on JD650 & JD X740), and I love it! The 60" mower deck was not available from JD, so I accepted the 54", which has been fine, and will actually get into a few places that the 60" on my X740 had trouble with. I bought to forks for the loader which are great. I reused the old bucket on the 60 Loader from my 650. I cut off the mounting, and welded on eBay purchased coupling hooks and pins. I had to modify the pins, and it was a careful fit, but it worked well. Now I'm not beating up the brand new bucket in the rocks!

The tractor has lots of push and pull, and as I get older, I'm happy for the step through, as opposed to climbing over gearshifts. There are a few minor niceties that the 650 had, which did not get copied across to the 1025R, but overall, I'm really happy with it!

/ New JD Owner :) 1025R #8  
One thing you will want to do is put an in-line shutoff on the fuel so you can change the filters. The primary is mounted under the left foot/floor and the line comes directly out of the tank with no shut off. Remove the filter and you'll drain the tank of any fuel in it.