New Key Switch and Glow Plugs

/ New Key Switch and Glow Plugs #1  

SevenCorners

Silver Member
Tractor
Jinma 224 2004
All,
I have installed the recommended Ford ignition switch and I have a question about proper glow plug operation. With this switch I understand that I can turn 5 positions. When I go to start and want to use my glow plugs position3 how long should I keep them on before hitting the starter position5? Are the glow plugs "on" in position1? I looked over Greg's wiring diagram and am slightly confused, please help straighten me up before I fry my plugs...

Key Switch Wiring Diagram

/ New Key Switch and Glow Plugs #2  
Hi,
I have not installed a ford switch, but wire the plugs to the heat position. normally I find that if it above 50 deg. you only need about 10 seconds as it gets colder, you need more, up to about 30 seconds when below freezing. I don't recommend over 30 seconds. On the standard switch, after an unsuccesful cranking, you have to go back and glow again (cold air cools the plugs quickly) but the ford switch keeps the glow plugs on while cranking the starter. the plugs should not be on when the key is in the on position, (engine run position, this may be position 1) You do not want them on the whole time the engine is running.

/ New Key Switch and Glow Plugs #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When I go to start and want to use my glow plugs position3 how long should I keep them on before hitting the starter position5? Are the glow plugs "on" in position1? I looked over Greg's wiring diagram and am slightly confused)</font>
There is no relationship between the Jinma and Ford switch positions 1 and 2.
From left to right the Jinma positions are
1 - START (spring loaded)
2 - OFF
3 - RUN
4 - HEAT (spring loaded? I forget)
5 - START (spring loaded)

From left to right the Ford switch positions are
1 - OFF
2 - Accessories (optional)
3 - ON/RUN
4 - HEAT (spring loaded)
5 - START (spring loaded)

Where you might also be confused is the relationship between the Ford front key positions and the rear post connections. In Position 5 (START), the switch itself provides simultaneous battery to post #3 (glowplugs) AND post #5 (starter solenoid).

When starting, use key to move switch from OFF (2) to HEAT (4). This is a spring loaded position, so you must consciously HOLD the key over in this position. Follow Chip's advice above for how long. When you think your glow plugs are hot enough, move switch from HEAT (4) to START (5). Unlike the Jinma switch, the Ford switch continues to supply battery to the glowplugs after engaging the starter motor.

I highly recommend you also integrate compression release into your starting procedure as well.

//greg//