New L4701

/ New L4701 #1  

Jwebbfedex

Tractor
Looking for a new tractor now
Ok I've decided on the new L4701 (gear tranny) will be making the purchase in a couple weeks. I am very excited. I thought about the HST but only using it for mowing so I decided I didn't need Hydro. Is there anything you guys can tell me I need to be looking out for any problems you guys have seen? Any input would be helpful.:thumbsup:
Did any f you get the land pride bush hog? Is it a good one?

/ New L4701 #2  
Landpride makes good stuff,I purchased a BH last year from my dealer.I would give second thoughts to a HST.
Mine LP is 6ft.with a slip clutch,seems to work well for me.

/ New L4701 #3  
Will you only be using it to brush hog? Any loader work? I would give second thought to the hst also.

/ New L4701 #4  
I'd buy the bush hog used, but that's just me. You could even paint a used one so it looks good behind your shiny new machine.

/ New L4701
Well the HST is more of a budget decision, it was almost 2 grand more. So I looked at how much I am actually going to use the loader and decided that I couldn't spend the extra money for that. Have you guys had any mechanical problems with the tractor? All the reviews seems pretty good.

/ New L4701 #6  
Let me chime in on the hst option
I had a gear shift tractor for several years and it's a pain using loader but also when mowing into corners and such
My new l3301 is hst and had made a huge difference in my tractor enjoyment
I also got a new land pride bishop with mine and it's unbelievably quiet

/ New L4701 #7  
Congratulations on your new tractor, I have two LP rotary cutters a 4' and 6' both are very good quality and I've used my 6' RCR2672 really hard.

/ New L4701 #8  
Well the HST is more of a budget decision, it was almost 2 grand more

Dont give it another thought, I love my gear-drive tractor. Different strokes for different folks.

/ New L4701 #9  
If all your going to do is grass cutting HST is okay. If your going to get the tractor dirty or in tight areas HST is a pain. You have to be a contortionest to operate the brake steering and HST pedals for tight turns. when there is dirt in the forward Reverse pedals starting the tractor can be a pain. Sure one can clean and lube the pedals 2-3 times a day but I just want to work. Both of my gear drive tractors have the 1st gear and reverse in line for easy forward and reverse shifting. My right foot is free for operating the brake pedals and Locker Pedal.

Everyones situation is different, HST means ear protection if you don't have a cab. My use is 50% trail and offroad. I need the locker daily and its just not available and very fragile on my newer Kubota. My gear drive tractors are 45 and almost 30 years old with original clutches and drivetrains, hoping my B3200 will have a good long life too.

/ New L4701 #10  
Our L3940 HST is used everyday for feeding 40 head of cattle and right now another 20 calves in tight areas of a feed lot. They did it for a while with a gear drive IH 574. There's no way they would go back to gear drive. The 2010 L3940 has over 1000 hours on it and it's still going strong.

For loader work it would be hard to beat it. They spread 18 loads of manure this past Wed. onto a pasture with an IH 155 bushel spreader. I timed how long it was taking to load the spreader, it took 3 to 3 1/2 minutes to heap the spreader. The old 574 couldn't touch that, bare in mind that some of the 574's problem was that it was 2WD.

"HST means ear protection if you don't have a cab".
Not sure where that's coming from, unless you running in too high a gear range for the job. There's maybe a tad of whine when first taking off. That's just plain not true of newer HST's.

If I considered my tractor fragile I'd get rid of it:
24wbw3n.jpg