New Land Owner

/ New Land Owner #1  

FarmGirlGA

Tractor
Kubota MX6000 HST
After looking and planning for over ten years, we finally found and purchased a farm in GA. It is approx. 74 acres and has a 3 acre pond and a 14 acre lake. The rest is mostly pastures and some woods. The land has been vacant for many years, but there is a cattle lease on it currently. They have about 12-14 cattle grazing in two-three of the 5 pastures. 2 of the larger pastures, next to the large lake, are completely overgrown and have lots of wildflowers and sticker bushes (not sure what they are).

There is a vacant 3/1 brick ranch that the birds have taken over that we will be gutting so that we can set up camp when we go to visit/work.

First order of business is to buy a tractor! Would really love some recommendations on size/brand/attachments based on the size of our property.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, we are first time farm/land owners and plan to keep the cattle lease in place and add our own pasture pets in the future: sheep, goats, chickens. One day, when we are living there full time and/or have a caretaker onsite, horses.

Dreams do come true!

/ New Land Owner #2  
Congrats. Sounds like a wonderful piece of Heaven. I know I'd love something like that.

I'd be looking for a 40-50 horse tractor for a property that size. I'm most familiar with Kubota, so I'd recommend something like a larger Grand L series of an M or MX series tractor. Of course with that much pasture you may want to go even bigger to be able to run a very large bush hog. Depends on how much time you want to spend cutting.

/ New Land Owner #3  
Welcome to TBN and the forum.

I think the first thing to do is make a list of all the projects you want/need to do with a tractor. Such as: driveway maintenance, bush hogging fields, fence construction and maintenance, cutting/baling hay, landscaping -------- the list will be long and involved.

Remember the purchase of a tractor is NO WAY like the purchase of an auto. With proper maintenance a tractor can quite easily last a lifetime.

I would suggest looking for something in the 50 to 60 hp range - four wheel drive(4WD), front end loader(FEL), rear blade and maybe a rear cutter(bush hog) if you are going to keep the fields & woodlands tidy. The 50-60 hp range is big enough to cut/bale hay when/if you get you own livestock.

Brands - everybody has their preference. Mine is orange - Kubota. What is also very important is dealer service. Is the dealership set up to service what you buy from them. Go talk to the service manager - ask about the record of service for the particular unit you are looking at, even for a brand new tractor. Certain models may have more problems than others.

Sit on as many tractors as you can. Some will have controls that are easy to reach and the unit will fit like a glove - others, not so much.

Study and learn "tractor terminology" - it will serve you well as you look for that perfect unit.

Above all else - enjoy yourself - this is just the beginning of an all new adventure.

/ New Land Owner
Thanks, David! Very helpful. I am looking at Kubota as it seems to be a very popular brand. Would you consider a used tractor or start new with warranty?

/ New Land Owner
Thanks so much, Oosik!

Kubota seems to be the brand that keeps coming up! This is very helpful and I will start a list and go visit the Kubota dealer!

/ New Land Owner #6  
I have always bought new, for a couple reasons. The warrantee will cover a new tractor, I am not a tractor mechanic - so I have no idea of the status of a used tractor nor the skills to do major repairs on same. I get just as greasy/oily as the next person doing necessary maintenance.

/ New Land Owner
Makes sense. That is typically how we approach large purchases as well. Definitely not a mechanic! But, looking forward to learning how to do some maintenance! Thanks!

/ New Land Owner #8  
I'm most familiar with Kubota, so I'd recommend something like a larger Grand L series of an M or MX series tractor. Of course with that much pasture you may want to go even bigger to be able to run a very large bush hog. Depends on how much time you want to spend cutting.

Kubota has 45% market share in Subcompact and Compact Utility Tractors. Approximately proportional to the Kubota dealer network.

Tractors recommended all 4,000 pounds or a bit more in weight, bare tractor.

The MX series are austerely equipped. The Grand L's have about every high end fitting and option installed standard. They share the same chassis and engine block. These tractors are available new and used. To a first time tractor owner/operator I recommend new. $30,000 BARE TRACTOR, $40,000 EQUIPPED.

I am seventy years old. Previously I owned utilitarian tractors. Now I have the smallest Grand L. If you are approaching retirement, spend the money for the Grand L. Your body will thank you every day.

Kubota LINKS (2)

1) http://www.kubota.com/product/MX4800/MX4800.aspx

2) http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L60.aspx

Attachments

• DSC00694.JPG
    DSC00694.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 101
  • DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00692.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 80
  • DSC00535.JPG
    DSC00535.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 79
  • DSC00420.jpg
    DSC00420.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 81
  • DSC00418.jpg
    DSC00418.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00419.jpg
    DSC00419.jpg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00381.jpg
    DSC00381.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00127.jpg
    DSC00127.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
   / New Land Owner #9  
Farmgirl, Kubota's are built in GA, your neck of the woods and not very far from where I live. I see them on trucks up and down I-85 all the time. I'm about to be on my 3rd Kubota right now. Have not had issues at all so far. Traded for various reasons including needs changing over time, which yours very well could as you get working on your property and start learning more or changing your plans. You may find that you want 2 tractors in the future, one set up for certain items and another set up for other items.

In our area, John Deere is priced much higher than Kubota and other brands in my experience, but I've only been as far in your direction as the JD dealer in Carnesville. May be different down around Smyrna or wherever your property is located. For reliability and dealer preference reasons, I love my Kubota and my dealer, so I haven't changed brands, although other tractor brands/colors are very nice as well. Some are less expensive than others, some offer better features (each person has different preferences of course).

Not trying to steer you toward or away from anything specific. Shopping can be fun and informative. Just will say you can't go wrong with Kubota if you do go that route, but you'd head the same for other brands as well.

As Oosik mentioned, make a list of the primary and secondary things you think you'll be doing and read lots of stuff here about different attachments and uses (including grapples; my favorite), then go shop and ask dealers about their tractors. Drive some of them. Keep reading and asking questions here. You'll receive a ton of good advice from some very knowledgeable and experience people and it can help you make the right choice for you.

/ New Land Owner #10  
FarmGirlGA - Greetings from your Georgia neighbors at Yanmar America in Adairsville, Georgia. Congratulations on acquiring the land you want after a ten year search. At this web page* Resources - Yanmar Tractor, there is a booklet (A Landowner's Planner) that you might find has some helpful suggestions or guidance about your next steps with your land. Plus, if you contact us, we can email you another booklet, "Your Buyer's Guide" that summarizes some of the tractor choices and options available to you.

*- There are also some tractor how-to videos on this page.

Reid Hamre
Product Marketing Manager, Agricultural Equipment
Agriculture Department
Equipment Division

Yanmar America Corporation
101 International Parkway
Adairsville, GA 30103
TEL 770-877-7828
FAX 770-877-6224
CELL 678-276-6135
Reid_Hamre@yanmar.com
Home - Yanmar Tractor