New LT42e owner.

/ New LT42e owner.
I haven't had any issues with the pedal being "touchy" or the speed being too fast. However, I went to move the unit today and it shuts off after 5 seconds. I called the service tech and it looks like I'm going to have to bring it in to a dealer for repair. Bummer. I have no idea why this started happening all of a sudden. No error codes, it just shuts off like the key is being turned off.

/ New LT42e owner. #13  
Electronics, they work by smoke, when the smoke leaks out, they stop working. :)

/ New LT42e owner. #14  
I've just joined the electric lawn tractor club! I've seen your video and you've done a great job! I had a question though. I coasted down a hill with mine yesterday (the power was off, not sure how that happened). At the bottom of the hill, I went to turn it back on and everything was dead. The display no longer lights up when the key is inserted and the power button does nothing. Even plugging it in, the display normally shows the battery state, it's completely dark. Have you have any experience with fuses or breakers yet?
Were you able to diagnose this problem? I note that the manual says "Do not tow with rear wheels on the ground". I suspect that coasting down a hill with power off is much the same thing as towing, depening on what speed was achieved.

/ New LT42e owner.
And then it happened to me.
After my third mowing this season, I charged the unit as usual. When I went to put it away, it would suddenly shut off after 5 seconds no matter what I did. If I was quick, I could get the blades to kick in or get it to move before it shut off, but it still shut off after 5 seconds. After spending a few hours on the phone, it was determined that I needed to bring it in for servicing (at my expense as per the warranty). The local shop said they had been trained on the electric mowers and that they usually received parts once a week. After about a week in the shop they told me they had to have a diagnostic device shipped to them. After about two weeks, I was told that one of the batteries was dead and they they were out of stock and had to be manufactured. I called Cub Cadet directly, which is not entirely true because Cub Cadet is actually a brand owned by MTD Products. MTD told me the battery was in stock, it just had to be ordered. The local shop said my claim was showing "pending review". After several back and forths between MTD and the local shop an order was placed for the battery. Then I got an email (three weeks in the shop now) that "Your order for XXXXXX has been cancelled due to lack of inventory. No production is scheduled for this model at this time."
What? I called MTD again and am now told that they expect to receive a battery in stock in about a month, but can't give me a firm date. So now I'm back to using a push mower or have to hire the job out.
I also noticed that the 2021 version of this mower has been changed beyond the new blue colors. The charger and the control panel have been redesigned after just one year. I know there have been a lot of problems with these if you look at the reviews on home depot. At this point, I have very little faith that this mower will last long enough to justify the $4000 expense, and I am currently out of a mower for about 2 months. I can't understand why they don't have batteries in stock if they know these are prone to fail. The right thing to do if these first mowers are lemons would be to swap out the guts for the new versions under warranty, not to keep replacing parts if there is a faulty design.

/ New LT42e owner. #16  
And then it happened to me.
After my third mowing this season, I charged the unit as usual. When I went to put it away, it would suddenly shut off after 5 seconds no matter what I did. If I was quick, I could get the blades to kick in or get it to move before it shut off, but it still shut off after 5 seconds. After spending a few hours on the phone, it was determined that I needed to bring it in for servicing (at my expense as per the warranty). The local shop said they had been trained on the electric mowers and that they usually received parts once a week. After about a week in the shop they told me they had to have a diagnostic device shipped to them. After about two weeks, I was told that one of the batteries was dead and they they were out of stock and had to be manufactured. I called Cub Cadet directly, which is not entirely true because Cub Cadet is actually a brand owned by MTD Products. MTD told me the battery was in stock, it just had to be ordered. The local shop said my claim was showing "pending review". After several back and forths between MTD and the local shop an order was placed for the battery. Then I got an email (three weeks in the shop now) that "Your order for XXXXXX has been cancelled due to lack of inventory. No production is scheduled for this model at this time."
What? I called MTD again and am now told that they expect to receive a battery in stock in about a month, but can't give me a firm date. So now I'm back to using a push mower or have to hire the job out.
I also noticed that the 2021 version of this mower has been changed beyond the new blue colors. The charger and the control panel have been redesigned after just one year. I know there have been a lot of problems with these if you look at the reviews on home depot. At this point, I have very little faith that this mower will last long enough to justify the $4000 expense, and I am currently out of a mower for about 2 months. I can't understand why they don't have batteries in stock if they know these are prone to fail. The right thing to do if these first mowers are lemons would be to swap out the guts for the new versions under warranty, not to keep replacing parts if there is a faulty design.
That sounds like a bummer. Cub Cadet won't sell too many electric mowers if they don't get their act together. I wonder if they know how many customers/potential customers read these forums and make buying decisions based on customer reviews and complaints.
Bob B.

/ New LT42e owner. #17  
Ouch. Yep, Not ready for prime time. Sorry for your issues, but I might Think about an electric mower in a decade or maybe two......

/ New LT42e owner.
So now I'm toward the end of my third season with this thing and it has been great this year. No issues at all with mowing a 3/4 mile trail every so often and the 20,000 sq. ft. lawn every 4 days or so. Nice not to have to do any maintenance other than sharpening and a little grease. Not having to buy gas and deal with gas cans/ethanol shield is super nice. I take the deck off every month or so and give it a good cleaning with a stick. At the end of the season, I clean it with soap and water, grind down any rust I see, then hit those spots with some spray paint. So far so good.

/ New LT42e owner. #19  
So now I'm toward the end of my third season with this thing and it has been great this year. No issues at all with mowing a 3/4 mile trail every so often and the 20,000 sq. ft. lawn every 4 days or so. Nice not to have to do any maintenance other than sharpening and a little grease. Not having to buy gas and deal with gas cans/ethanol shield is super nice. I take the deck off every month or so and give it a good cleaning with a stick. At the end of the season, I clean it with soap and water, grind down any rust I see, then hit those spots with some spray paint. So far so good.
Please tell us how long it took to get your mower back from the shop as you posted in post #15 ?

And how was the financial aspect resolved ?

Richard

/ New LT42e owner.
Please tell us how long it took to get your mower back from the shop as you posted in post #15 ?

And how was the financial aspect resolved ?

Richard
I think it took about 6-8 weeks total to get the thing back. I had to deliver and pick up the mower to/from the shop at my own expense, but otherwise it didn't cost me anything. I received a new battery at about 26 hours total time on the machine. Since then, it has been rock solid, except for the button to engage the PTO that's a little temperamental, but that part has been redesigned on the new mowers. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase now.