New member in VA

/ New member in VA
Shenandoah County is where I live. I am familliar with James River. I work in Harrisonburg and my company deals with them some. Speaking of slopes, my house is on a hill. My front yard is kind of steep so I will be taking it easy. I have used a buddies John Deere here at the house before. Can't remember exactly what model he has, but it is about a 23HP machine with FEL & MMM also. 2001 or 2002 model. I liked it a lot, but ended up going with the Kubota...go figure. lol $$$ was a deciding factor.

/ New member in VA #12  
welcome aboard from southwest va. down here in the mountains where i'm wondering when we will see the sun again

/ New member in VA
Lots of rain here also. My driveway is worse now than it was before. The box blade is moving up the list of things needed.

/ New member in VA #15  
My rain gauge says we had 4.5 inches yesterday, and it's raining this morning. The dam I built on my stream has about a foot of water running over it. The pipes can't carry this volume. Fortunately I built it for that. My driveway is rutted, but I learned early not to box blade it until the ground dries up. My drive is a mile long, so I simply couldn't afford a really deep rock bed on it. If you use the blade before the underlying clay has dried some, you can actually dig down so deep that you pull up clay in places. Then you have to spend a lot of time fixing. As soon as the rain stops, however, I'm going to run the drive with my ratchet rake to make the worst of the ruts passable for a car. The RR, available at TSC or online, is a fantastic tool for all kinds of things.

I did look at Kubota when I bought my JD. However, as a matter of personal taste, I found the rocker type pedals hard to use - impossible for my wife (she of knee replacements), and - anyway - JD had a financing package much better than the Kubota. I think financing now is about the same for both. Then too I was looking at a 30 to 40 hp machine.

Shenandoah County is a beautiful place. I've spent a lot of time there. Not only did I buy my BB there, my first tractor, a JD 2030, was purchased from a guy in extreme southern Shenandoah County.