Buying Advice New member seeks help for first tractor purchase

/ New member seeks help for first tractor purchase #1  

tmac196

Silver Member
Tractor
1951 Ford 8N, 1965 Ford 2000, Grasshopper 325D, JD 5065M
Hello all,

I am looking t o move out of the burbs and purchase 15-20 acres where I can keep my horses and learn to raise my own hay. I have recently become enamored with the Farmall Letter series tractors. I like the old iron, I guess.

I am contemplating purchasing one of these tractors for general farm use and, of course, for fun. Duties would include land clearing (light brush and small saplings - the property has been overgrown for 15 years now - old cow pasture), finish mowing, hay cutting and raking and perhaps general grounds maintenance (snow removal, riding arena dragging), plowing and discing the hay fields, etc.

I need advice on whether this is feasible with these old tractors and, if so, what should I look for in this class of old tractors to define if a given tractor is worth the price. What should a buyer look for to differentiate a good tractor from a bad one?

Thanks in advance.

tmac

/ New member seeks help for first tractor purchase #2  
I'm still looking for my 15-20 acres or more, but based off of the tractor I'm using now and the land I have to use it on I would say that unless you want to have a hobby that never ends, get a tractor that will do the job you want it to do in the time-frame you want it to do it in.

You can always use a reel mower to mow your lawn and that's old tech (and is actually new tech for certain people like apartment folks etc that I sell them to, or people that like to mow a lot around the front doors, or at night), but you probably already have a gas engine, and more than likely a rider. You have seen how efficient it is to move "up" is what I'm getting at (won't EVEN mention the weedeaters, roundup chemicals, etc etc etc).

Your choice of "old" needs to include how much time you have to be slower than the newer technology allows you to be if you want to be IMHO.

And then there are repair bills and downtime opportunity costs to consider....

/ New member seeks help for first tractor purchase #3  
tmac, I am also new to tractors so this is not the voice of experience....only the voice of someone who has been listening in on these guy's discussions a bit longer than you. :thumbsup:

You haven't described the terrain yet, but if it is hilly or uneven you will enjoy 4 wheel drive immensely. I already think of it as essential and my land is not all that difficult in most places. The few spots I have have already sold me.

I bought an HST model and the fine control I have when backing into the thorny brush has saved my body a number of times. I have maneuvered close to fences and buildings and have been able to navigate my way back and forth without hurting anything yet. The ability to creep at a snails pace and stop on a dime without lurching when edging forward or backwards has been a godsend for a novice driver. I remember learning to drive a stick on the highway and there were time I had some issues with exactly where the vehicle stopped or jumped as I learned. No issues like that with the HST.

The newer electronic ignitions really make starting the newer/less antique tractors much easier and trouble free.

The most important thing I can think of is the Live PTO on the newer breed of tractor allows you to keep your 3pt implement operating at a constant speed even when you have to shift gears or even stop the tractor. Many of the old equipment did not have that as an option.

There are lots of things the older machinery is great for, and lots of things the newer machines are much better at. Even if the potential for repairs on an older machine is not a concern, which it certainly was for me, you have to consider how you intend to use it and what "conveniences" you are willing to do without on one of the older tractors.

/ New member seeks help for first tractor purchase
John,

Thank you for the well thought (and spoken) advice. The terrain is pancake flat and slightly sandy. I posted this question on the buying a tractor forum and listed the terrain there as well, but forgot to mention it here.

There are too many acronyms for a newbie here. What does HST mean? Is that stand for a hydrostatic transmission?

tmac

/ New member seeks help for first tractor purchase #5  
"What does HST mean? Is that stand for a hydrostatic transmission?"

Yes.
Take your time doing your home work..go w/your gut feeling. ;)

/ New member seeks help for first tractor purchase #6  
I.m late reading your post but will coment. Old is fun but not to to work with. Attachments will be hard to find and wore out when you do find them. The tri whelled tractors are pron to turn over. That is why you can.t buy a 3 wheel ATVnow. A live PTO is almost a must, I have one of each the live PTO is a lot more useful. If you try cutting in reverse when you stop and change gears the blade will slow down or stop and it takes a few feet to get it up to speed in reverss then it, time to go forward and start all over. I will not buy a tractor with out a front end loader.....................

/ New member seeks help for first tractor purchase #7  
You will get alot of info on here and many differant points of view.
I like the older equipment late 60's 7o's and early 80's. I have never owned new but have used new( 90's to today)several times . The older equipment is basic very basic. easy to work on simple hand tools if its a smaller tractor. What i like most about the old equipment is you dont need to sing a song and dance to hop off the equipment and leave it running when you need to check on something. and ROPS get in the way all the time, I think trees are attracted to them. there is alot of good old equipment to be found out there. After I made a few mistakes on tractors I found several " friends " that are knowledgeable in that field to look at them and steer me in the right direction. I have 2 wheel drive but i live in a flat area. Property drops 6 feet in 1500 feet. thats flat. i could still see a advantage in 4 wheeled drive. you dont need as much HP if you get 4 wheel drive.

I have used Deere , Ford, IH, and Massy all good.

Oh Tractors are not like women...... more weight the better.

Good luck to you do your research on what ever you buy old or new.

/ New member seeks help for first tractor purchase #8  
Good advice from the members. I started with old stuff because that's all I could afford. My kids are almost gone and now I can afford the new stuff. I agree entirely with the idea that having a tractor that can get the work done first is the best avenue if you can afford it. More time with the wife and kids is better than slaving away on something that doesn't work when you need it the most.
Best of luck with all your decisions. This is an excellent web site for advice!

/ New member seeks help for first tractor purchase #9  
Hello TMAC,
Good luck, I was in your shoes about 5 years ago. One question you have to consider is how mechanical are you? Nothing worse than hay ready to bale and the baler is not cooperating. If you are not mechanical, get newer equipment, should be less headaches at least in the beginning.
Dave